The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Still a chance!  (Read 2632 times)

Offline sonny88

• Team IceShanty Regular
Still a chance!
« on: Feb 18, 2023, 06:05 AM »
It's zero out here in central vermont this morning and I'm not heading out on the ice just yet, but there's still a chance the season's not over yet!

Offline WardenAL

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Still a chance!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2023, 06:12 AM »
Let’s hope it holds out til next weekend! The end of the week forecast looks more like winter than spring which is a good thing!

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2023, 05:13 PM »
I would hope that there’s still plenty of ice on places where it’s normally cold. Just have to keep searching

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2023, 08:43 AM »
I would hope that there’s still plenty of ice on places where it’s normally cold. Just have to keep searching

There are.

I did a field trip Sunday to look all over for decent ice conditions, here what I observed:

1. Handful of people out fishing & some kites on south side sandbar, but no one at SP or cowbanks. Open water under the bridge now.
2. Knights is open water at channel and open water out at inland sea between gut & ball island, no one fishing these areas.
3. Birdland had several out fishing. ice up to shore is decent to get on/off.
4. Old Holiday Harbor had several out fishing the narrows, open water in the channel but appears decent ice near shore.
5. Dillenback had numerous people out fishing and running side by sides & sleds all over. Open water south towards the bridge narrows.
6. Alburgh Springs had a few out fishing near shore, open water in the channel near the RR bridge to the south.
7. No one at boat launch or Church Rd.
8. Hog Island/Tabor had a few out fishing, launch ice appears good to get on/off.
9. Maquam Shore had several out fishing from the boat launch way out halfway between launch and Tabor.
10. Cohen Park/PopaSquash had a couple fishing, coming off ice said no bite but ice was decent 8"
11. St. Albans Black Bridge/Town Park area no once fishing.
12. Hathaway launch had several fishing, no one up at point or KillKare.
13. Georgia Rec Park no one fishing, ice at launch a little sketchy, has some cracks and open water in between.
14. VE...fugettaboutit...

Hope this helps!

Offline PenguinIII

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2023, 03:02 PM »
Thanks Mudchuck, heading up that way on Wednesday for 4 days and the ice should only get better. Appreciate the intel, we will check as we go anyway to be safe, tight lines.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2023, 03:34 PM »
Awesome scouting and reporting  Mudchuck !

Offline WardenAL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2023, 04:17 PM »
Thanks mudchuck for the update!

Offline ISLAND STORM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2023, 05:13 PM »
Great post mudchuck!!! Thank you!!
My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

Tight lines and be safe.

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2023, 09:29 PM »
I stopped by Hathaway boat launch and Killkare today on my way back from the rifle range. 2 guys fishing at Hathaway boat launch. Killkare has some thin clear ice by shore before it turned into a little thicker ice. I was able to poke through the ice with a stick in one wack, no spud bar needed.

I fished 3x a few weeks back before the 3 fatalities and probably not going back out until I get my boat ready in April.

Offline mudchuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2023, 06:22 AM »
I stopped by Hathaway boat launch and Killkare today on my way back from the rifle range. 2 guys fishing at Hathaway boat launch. Killkare has some thin clear ice by shore before it turned into a little thicker ice. I was able to poke through the ice with a stick in one wack, no spud bar needed.

I fished 3x a few weeks back before the 3 fatalities and probably not going back out until I get my boat ready in April.

I attempted to fish killkare after I got out of work. By the time I got up there, the wind had picked up a lot and by the time I had my 2nd tip set, wind had blown the open channel water up onto the ice shelf and started flooding my traps, so I picked up and got off just before it blew threw.
6" of ice out 200 yds from shore north side, but big hole right there where peeps smashing the ice at the shoreline.
Most of the shoreline all over has opened up to needing long plank to get onto the shelf, but the wind also pushed it up against some shorelines and smashed it up some.
No one fishing hathaway and big pressure crack from point over to rock island has open water in it now.
Snow & near/sub zero temps coming may impact things.

Hoping to get out there again if it remains stable enough to get on the ice to seek out white perch.

Offline Tacoma Marty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Here fishy fishy
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2023, 07:53 AM »
7"-12" of heavy wet snow before the cold weather, we can't catch a break.  >:(

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2023, 09:40 AM »
Might need an air boat to fish for white perch out of Killkare.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2023, 02:09 PM »
I wish there was but I think the fat lady has sung at least for me. I hate fishing in deep snow as I’m usually on foot and with all the ice around me already being super sketchy not worth going out when you can’t see what you’re walking on. Def the shortest ice fishing season I’ve had since i began many years ago. Time to Get the boat ready
Stay safe for those who still are on The ice !!

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2023, 04:34 PM »
  Better to be safe then sorry . I'll be using the row boat as soon as ice is out to fish near shore . By the looks that may not be too long.

Offline stick eyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2023, 03:50 PM »
Good news up here in the St.A bay area ...only a couple or so inches of snow and it's all powder . With temp forecast may be able to get out after all .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.