Author Topic: Securing the shack?  (Read 977 times)

Offline goalie35

• IceShanty Rookie
Securing the shack?
« on: Sep 17, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Hey everyone,

The shack I just bought is a camper converted to hard sides. It still has the camper door and he just has the push button lock on the outside and a place for a pad lock. On our lake unfortunately that's not enough because many people get their shacks broken into every winter. What do you recommend for additional locks I can install that are pretty tough?

Thanks in advance!

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Re: Securing the shack?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2014, 03:33 PM »
A good master lock and a door alarm on the inside. As well as leave nothing valubale in there when you are not there.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2014, 03:37 PM »
Best thing I can tell you is if its valuable take it with you ...if not make sure its not visible . A good lock is a deterrent ..but a window is an opportunity ...two fold ...to view your stuff and as a point of entry . Its a shame that shack break ins are part of the game . I'm sure others will chime in on types/styles of security . 
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline goalie35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2014, 04:02 PM »
If i get a cabinet that's heavy and locks would that be a good idea? Also putting some kind of covers/blinds on the windows to make it impossible to see inside a good or bad idea?

Offline SeisMec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'd rather be fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2014, 04:06 PM »
I don't leave anything on the ice I wouldn't want to lose.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 17, 2014, 04:56 PM »
If i get a cabinet that's heavy and locks would that be a good idea? Also putting some kind of covers/blinds on the windows to make it impossible to see inside a good or bad idea?

I think if it looks like it might be valuable or has something valuable locked in it ..it is to "inviting" and "irresistible" for most thieves ..just a stock pile of wood is enough for some thieves
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Leave a heat source on. Place a vicious Rottweiler in there with food and water. Problem solved. Around here you are not allowed to lock any doors occupied or not.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:18 PM »
Leave a heat source on. Place a vicious Rottweiler in there with food and water. Problem solved. Around here you are not allowed to lock any doors occupied or not.

Wow that's sounds crazy ? What is  the fine if you do ?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:37 PM »
If they want to get in, they will. Covering the windows just makes them wonder what's inside. Kicking the door open or using a 3' pry bar will pop any door. As stated, don't leave anything inside you don't want to lose. I know it's a pain, but have seen too many destroyed just to get inside.
Take it with you.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:41 PM »
What state are you in that might help so we know your local laws.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day of fishing beats a good day at work!
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:34 PM »
If they want to get in, they will. Covering the windows just makes them wonder what's inside. Kicking the door open or using a 3' pry bar will pop any door. As stated, don't leave anything inside you don't want to lose. I know it's a pain, but have seen too many destroyed just to get inside.
Take it with you.

X2! I leave my curtains open and leave nothing in the shack. I also have a converted pop up camper, I replaced the door knob (Starcraft) with a gate latch that can be padlocked.

Having a locked cabinet, tool box, footlocker, etc....will only make folks curious and want to know whats inside...

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2014, 08:37 PM »
X2! I leave my curtains open and leave nothing in the shack. I also have a converted pop up camper, I replaced the door knob (Starcraft) with a gate latch that can be padlocked.

Having a locked cabinet, tool box, footlocker, etc....will only make folks curious and want to know whats inside...

Exactly, NW Harry. You're doing it right. After 30 years in LE, ya kinda learn just what works and what doesn't.   ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2014, 07:20 AM »
On my camper I drilled two holes on either side of the door all the way through to the inside.  I took two long heavy eye bolts and pushed them threads first through the holes using large fender washers on the inside and outside.  Put a locknut on the inside.  Cut some chain and chained the door shut with a master lock on the outside.   

Has worked so far
Nick

Offline goalie35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:20 AM »
I like your thinking.

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:45 AM »
On my camper I drilled two holes on either side of the door all the way through to the inside.  I took two long heavy eye bolts and pushed them threads first through the holes using large fender washers on the inside and outside.  Put a locknut on the inside.  Cut some chain and chained the door shut with a master lock on the outside.   

Has worked so far

Hey Nick, where do you fish? I am about 25 mins north of you near Oconto Falls...

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 18, 2014, 08:56 AM »
I fish the east shore near dyckesville for whitefish alot
Shawano quite a bit for Crappies/Gills/Northern
West shore of the bay for perch
Montana for crappies
Winnebago
Little green lake
Noquebay
Lots of little lakes around the wabeno area

Nick

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:04 AM »
I fish the east shore near dyckesville for whitefish alot
Shawano quite a bit for Crappies/Gills/Northern
West shore of the bay for perch
Montana for crappies
Winnebago
Little green lake
Noquebay
Lots of little lakes around the wabeno area

I spend most of my time on Oconto Falls pond, Kelly lake and Lee lake. How is Montana for Crappies?

Offline Sidepork

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't horse em!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:06 AM »
I spend most of my time on Oconto Falls pond, Kelly lake and Lee lake. How is Montana for Crappies?

Hit or miss but when you hit it is alot of fun and the traffic is really low on that lake. 
Nick

Offline NorthWoods Harry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Hit or miss but when you hit it is alot of fun and the traffic is really low on that lake.

That's what I like "low traffic"...that's why I stay off of Shawano lake. Kelly can be a zoo at times as well.

We should meet up this winter...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Trip wire , they will be there when you show up in the morning , I always left mine  empty and unlocked with a sign on it , your welcome to use if I'm not here please leave it like you found it , sounds stupid but never had a problem and notes left saying thanks , maybe I was just lucky

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:26 AM »
mmmm what about leaving bananas ...some bad Ju Ju associated with them I heard

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 18, 2014, 09:35 AM »
they should let you hide an exploding dye pack in these things ;D maybe a dye that glows at night to make it easy to chase them down

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2014, 12:48 PM »
they should let you hide an exploding dye pack in these things ;D maybe a dye that glows at night to make it easy to chase them down

now that would be funny seeing someone in glow pink  :o

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 18, 2014, 01:11 PM »
sounds like a great idea until you forget about it and have to explain to everyone you fish why you glow in the dark.  ;D

Offline fishlessman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 18, 2014, 01:56 PM »
sounds like a great idea until you forget about it and have to explain to everyone you fish why you glow in the dark.  ;D

i would just put it in a box with DO NOT OPEN stenciled on top . good for thieves, good for a chuckle when im out checking traps ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.