Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226774 times)

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #990 on: Feb 12, 2018, 06:18 PM »
Lots of snow up here in Westport. Will be trying to get out on the bike maybe Wednesday night. Will know more then.

Travis

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #991 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Was out checking the back lakes yesterday.  Snow is melting well and access to the lakes seem to be very good.  May get a little slushy today but will start to freeze up again tonight/tomorrow. Will be heading to Verona Lake on Saturday to wet a line.  If you happen to be out look for me.  Will be the big guy in camo.

Ciao for now.

Don

a.k.a. leviathan_slayer
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #992 on: Feb 17, 2018, 06:35 PM »
Went out to Verona Lake today.  A good 20" of ice on the lake.  Lots of people out today and that was great to see.  It was mid-February fishing - meaning it was a little challenging to get them to bite, but they were everywhere. We got a perch and the school under the ice was huge.  It was great meeting "Kaden" on the ice today. He was out with his family and dog and they looked like they were having a great time.

Will head out again late Monday for a little evening fishing!

Tight lines everyone!

Don

a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

6.1 MB    P1000038.JPG                  Check                                            Error                                                          3.8 MB    P1000032.JPG                  Check                                            Error                                                          6.3 MB    P1000029.JPG                  Check                                            Error                                                 

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #993 on: Feb 18, 2018, 07:41 AM »
We had the Wolfe Howl yesterday. Ice was still pretty good at 16" In the back bays. Got a little slushy Friday night and those tracks froze over the night making getting around rough, but still manageable. Thinking of heading over to Indian Lake splake fishing here this afternoon. Will report back with ice conditions.

Travis

Offline Digem1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #994 on: Feb 18, 2018, 05:30 PM »
16" over on Indian lake as well.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #995 on: Dec 29, 2018, 09:20 AM »
Hello Kingston area ice anglers! The lakes are starting to get a base of ice on them. I am heading out to Verona this morning to check a few lakes and the thickness of the ice. Will report back later today. Remember to be safe heading out on the ice as weather conditions have been up and down over the last week or so.

Anyway talk to you later! Be safe and tight lines!

Don
a.k.a. leviathan_slayer

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #996 on: Dec 29, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Went out today and checked a few back lakes up around the Verona area. Verona and Howes lakes had a few people out on them but ice thickness was only around 4 inches. The ice around the shore was not consistent and therefore you had to be careful where you went out. Also checked 2nd Depot Lake and the north end was around 4 to 6 inches thick. However, there was moving water under the ice so you have to be careful. If the cold weather holds through the next week then heading out on the ice will be a good possibility.

Stay safe and tight lines!

Don

><)))) °>

(a.k.a. leviathan_slayer)

Offline Ryan123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #997 on: Dec 30, 2018, 07:07 AM »
Appreciate the info

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #998 on: Dec 30, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Seen a few people on both Sand and Wolfe. Was tempted to get on the ice for some fishing but figured it's best to wait a bit.  Drove by Crow lake and didn't see anyone.

Anxious to get out!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #999 on: Dec 31, 2018, 03:03 PM »
[/URL]

Looking forward to lots of good, thick ice this winter!

Be safe and tight lines!

Don

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1000 on: Jan 01, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Happy New Year!
Lots of small back lakes are iced up. Been out 4 times on three different lakes since Dec 9th on anywhere from 3” to 7” all within an hour of Kingston. One lake was in the interior of Frontenac, Moulton, it is a hike with gear so I have no problem mentioning that one. The others are small lakes that could be fished out easily so I don’t post about them but they aren’t secrets by any stretch they are all visible from the road with easy public access. I found them but taking a drive with a spud in the back of the truck. Look on google maps for small shallow protected lakes with little to no current i.e pothole lakes vs one that are part of a major system with rivers flowing in and out. Once you find an early ice lake you are set, the fishing may vary as it gets more pressure but the same lakes freeze first year after year.
@jzuliniak

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1001 on: Jan 01, 2019, 03:48 PM »
Thanks JZ. It is great when everyone adds there info to this forum!

Thanks again and tight lines!

Don

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1002 on: Jan 02, 2019, 06:45 AM »
Yes thanks to everyone for sharing some info! I know the lakes online tool is excellent but it is not easy to tell where to get on a specific lake so this where it becomes useful when many of you have helped. My wife and I recently bought a cottage last year on Farren Lake and it doesn’t appear to be stocked any longer so getting on to other spots in the area is the challenge. We are planning to fish louborough as weve never caught a laker or splake and have a few other lakes close by for walleye. Still looking for a brook trout spot and continue to gather as much info as possible.
Anyone have suggestions that would be great.  Somewhere that has atv access preferably to haul gear. I have one spot I’m going to scout out next week.

Offline kevinwh4858

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1003 on: Jan 06, 2019, 07:56 AM »
Hey Fellow Ice fishermen and fisherwomen.
Anybody been fishing on Sharbot or Bobs lakes yet. Thinking of going up this weekend. Any info on ice conditions on either of these lakes. Appreciate any input
Kevin

Offline Walleyehunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1004 on: Jan 11, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Hello all.
I am sure with the cold snap we are having most are getting 'the fever' to get out on the hard water. ;D
Remember, no fish is worth your life - stay safe! Buddy up, picks, spuds, floaters.
That being said - I was hoping someone may be able to advise of any attempts to angle Garter Lake. I am heading to Upper Rock soon - which I see is stocked with splake. Garter is nearby but is not on stocked list but I believe had natural trout strains. Is it worth the 45 minute walk in?

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1005 on: Jan 12, 2019, 12:44 PM »
Upr Rock has decent splake population but they are generally smaller. Never fished Garter so not sure if there are any splake there.
Also if Garter is not stocked with splake then the natural strain is most likely lake trout which are closed sept-May except for a handful of lakes that are year round out and take fisheries.
@jzuliniak

Offline Walleyehunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1006 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:08 AM »
Agreed. I understand it has bows which remains open all year.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1007 on: Jan 13, 2019, 10:37 AM »
Agreed. I understand it has bows which remains open all year.
Oh cool that might be worth the trek in then I wasn’t aware there were any  natural rainbow lakes around here.
@jzuliniak

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1008 on: Jan 13, 2019, 01:09 PM »
Good day all Kingston Back Lakes Anglers!

Went out fishing today on Verona Lake. There is 12 “ of good ice. There are several shacks in the South Bay and I was surprised to see 4 vehicles that ventured out onto the ice. While it seems thick enough for vehicles there are numerous pressure cracks and a few more days of ice making would probably be safer before venturing out with a full size vehicle. Anyway, it was a cool, brisk morning when the north wind started to blow. Several bites in the 15 FOW range and a few perch brought to the surface.

It is glare ice so be careful walking out there as I found out that I am still quite top heavy and smack, bang, crack down I went on the ice. Luckily my body broke the fall - hahahaha!!!

Anyway, ice fishing season is now in full swing and look forward to running into some of you out on the ice.

Ciao for now

Don
(A.k.a. leviathan_slayer)

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1009 on: Jan 18, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Good solid ice on the back lakes! Time for some fishing!!

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1010 on: Jan 30, 2019, 12:37 PM »
An anglers out on the back lakes this past week. Share your news with us!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1011 on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:11 PM »
Great day on the ice. About 20 some odd anglers all looking for the big lake wolf for the derby!

Lots of ice and great weather today!

Ciao for now!

Don

Offline MarkM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1012 on: Feb 16, 2019, 06:23 PM »
Any snow reports?  Seems the Kingston area got a good amount of snow, just wondering who has been out and how tough is it drugging through the snow. I'm thinking of Quinte tomorrow or may hit Loughborough. 
Was out today at Wolfe lake, didn't fish but wanted to check out the derby. Lots of snow but thankfully the organizers plowed a few good lanes.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1013 on: Feb 19, 2019, 11:59 AM »
Back lakes all have good solid ice in the 20 to 24 inch range. Easy access onto most lakes and snow is easy to navigate through on foot. Fish are hugging the bottom of most lakes. Lots of opportunity to land some good ones. Good weekend with a few good bites. Out with my wife and my long time fishing buddy!

Tight lines to all! Be safe out there!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1014 on: Feb 19, 2019, 12:34 PM »
For all of you who fish Verona Lake, here is a depth map that I made with one of my charting programs. It continues to be accurate and gives you a good sense as to where the drop offs are and where the depths change.

Tight lines to all!

Don

Offline Kingston_dunk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1015 on: Mar 03, 2019, 05:04 PM »
Thinking of trying Verona this week.  Any suggestions on depth for fishing crappie.  Newbie ice fisherman.  Great map Don.  I make my own in the summer and enjoy it.  I use my lowrance and upload to insight genesis. 

Offline Preettiwana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1016 on: Mar 05, 2019, 07:42 AM »
Hi I am from montreal and want to try some lakes for crappie fishing before ice out. We fished successfully at lake stoco. I know in this forum lots of experienced helpful anglers. Thanks 

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1017 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:11 AM »
Hey Kingston_dunk,

Glad to hear you may be getting out to Verona Lake. Right now the Crappies are holding in 2 spots: the south bay where you find the most ice shacks. You will find them primarily closer to the back end of the bay although they move throughout the whole southern basin. The second spot is across the lake near about 100 yards north of the entrance to the main creek exiting the lake. There is an underwater hump and they circle this area quite frequently.  Hope this helpful!

Tight lines!

Don

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1018 on: Mar 07, 2019, 11:27 AM »
Hey Preettiwana,

Bonjour et bienvenue á Kingston. J'espère que tu attrappe beaucoup de poissons comme des marigane noire. Glad to hear you may be getting out to the Kingston area. You can find crappies in Verona Lake, Dog Lake, Loughborough Lake, Cranberry Lake, and almost any lakes long the Rideau.  Hope this helpful! If you would like more info please let me know

Tight lines!

Don

Offline Preettiwana

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1019 on: Mar 07, 2019, 07:41 PM »
Thanks leviathan_slayer. I am really impressed by the kind people in this forum. Always ready to help.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.