Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 227101 times)

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #90 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:36 PM »
will probably head out again on fri to 4th or mabey check out the ice on 5th

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:19 PM »
will probably head out again on fri to 4th or mabey check out the ice on 5th

Hey Tristan

I have never fished any of the depot lakes (hard or soft water)  From what i have heard they are the best back lake walleye option in this area.  Any info on the lakes would be appreciated.  Access, parking, etc.

thanks
jon
@jzuliniak

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #92 on: Dec 22, 2010, 02:49 PM »
Hey guys heading to Kingston for the holidays, bringing my gear and itching to get out. Pretty flexible after the 26th to go out, i would be walking out and company is always welcome. I heading to lake couchiching tomorrow and leave for Kingston on fri. Hope to see some fellow hard water fans out there.
walking on water, just like the big man!!!

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:01 AM »
i haven't fished the depots much myself. just found the boat launch for fourth when i went on sun. but not to diffucult to find launches
2nd and 3rd have good marked boat launches. 4th is not marked looks like driveway with blue rural # sign, not sure of the number exactly.
all depots lake launches are on their respected road names. from what i hear 3rd 4th and 5th are the best bet for eyes but i don't have
any hotspots. hopefully going to count on the holes already out there and fish close to them to start.

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Look for the Frabill shelter
Happy Birthday Bass_Belt!!
« Reply #94 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:20 AM »
Happy 30th Birthday to a great brother and one hell of a fishing partner.  I look forward to hitting the hard water on Dog lake with you soon!!  :icefish:
Stay Safe and Tight Lines.

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Thanks Laker2011!!! We'll be out there real soon, can't wait!!! 8)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Dec 24, 2010, 06:34 PM »
Dog Lake- checked out gilmour pt today, I didnt venture far out but its close to being ready, 3.5 inches of solid ice in the very limited area I checked from the beach to about 30ft out. I am still not confident venturing out too far but I am heading out there boxing day(the next two nights are suppose to be -10ish) and I will go out further and see how much ice there is.

Has anyone else has been out in the gilmour/shipyard area? 
@jzuliniak

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #97 on: Dec 24, 2010, 09:29 PM »
Has anyone else has been out in the gilmour/shipyard area?

I have not been out yet to dog, but im very surprised if it is not ready yet, this would be the longest it has taken in the past 3 years. I plan to head out on Monday, not sure if I will be headed to Gilmour pt or not, but I will be headed to Dog

Anyone else headed out on Monday?

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #98 on: Dec 25, 2010, 10:11 AM »
yes ill be out boxing day for sure ill be at hogans got a couple decent pike there the other day so ill be there right at the point area

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Dec 25, 2010, 12:51 PM »
How do you get to Hogans?  Someone posted it earlier in the thread but it looks like it has been deleted?
@jzuliniak

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #100 on: Dec 25, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Gonna head out with tristan420, im open all week and would like to try different locations, possibly bring out my nephew.

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Dec 26, 2010, 08:30 AM »
Went out to 4th depot lake on fri  and caught a little pike 19" and three nice perch all between 10 and 12". Going again on mon hopefully catch some eyes!going to be a group of us anyone else want to join in the action

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #102 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:13 AM »
Im headed out on Monday, I was going to hit Dog, but I may join you guys. let me know when you plan to head out. I have never fished there and would be interested in giving it a shot

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Dec 26, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Ill let you know later today of definate plans. But I want to leave around 9 or 10 and stay there prob after dark.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Dec 26, 2010, 11:46 AM »
sorry it took so long you can get to hogans by going down burnt hills road and turning into were you see the buses then just follow it right down to the water i was there today not much action but i wanna go brooke trout fishin if anyone up for it let me know ill be leavinearly though aroun 530 6 so if i dont reply call my cell 985 57 48 my names phil and the lake is just past verona its nice me and a buddy got a seven pounder outta there last winter

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Dec 26, 2010, 03:04 PM »
Went out on Dog- Gilmour pt.  Punched a bunch of holes from the beach out a couple hundred yards then towards the point. 4" of good ice in each hole.  Didnt catch anything but I really just wanted to go out to play around with the new sonar, got it dialed in now so next trip out I need to get some fish.
@jzuliniak

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Dec 26, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Plans made. Meeting at 9 tomorrow at the metro on taylor kidd and bay ridge. Going to 4th depot for the day. anyone interested just message me for more details

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #107 on: Dec 27, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Id like to give tristan420 a pat on the back , 4 of us made it out and was pretty quiet during day. Running and gunning was showing some bites but nothing on the ice until arround 5 ish when i got a hit brought it in thinking it was a pike the way it hit, and lost it right at the hole a massive eyes. Still had my minnow droppped  it back down and 10 secs later bam again brought up a nice 20 incher, then triston followed with a nice 19 incher and pat brought in one of the biggest rock bass ive ever seen. Sweet time had lake to ourselves awesome.!!!!! Pics soon to follow to tired to do anthing!!! Stay safe and gettem on the ice boys. Might hit somwhere up[ on wed,more tocome. J

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Dec 28, 2010, 07:30 AM »
I had a great time! definitely will make some plans for later in the week prob wed morning fish. 4th depot didn't treat us to bad I do have to say. Good luck to everyone and if in kingston area wed morning, icerice and I are going to make plans.  Anyone else interested just let us know. Prob going to either hogans point or silver lake in verona it is attached to rock and howes lake easy access and lots of parking

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #109 on: Dec 28, 2010, 10:00 AM »
hey tristan420, is jeff still interested in getting my hut, tell him 125$.

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:31 PM »
hey id be interested to get some nice eyes anytime  im on holidays till the fourth  but my internet connection is bad were i live so could someone call me 9855748 or ill call them to make plans let me know thanks

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #111 on: Dec 28, 2010, 02:40 PM »
Got out on Dog for a bit today, the fishing was slow, I met up with Lunkrhuntr, both had little luck

Nice solid 5-7 inches when headed out from the shipyards

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:49 PM »
Got out on Dog for a bit today, the fishing was slow, I met up with Lunkrhuntr, both had little luck

Nice solid 5-7 inches when headed out from the shipyards

nice, it was only 4" the other day when I was out so hopefully it holds up well with the warm weather that is coming this week.  How far did you guys go out?  I have gone out a couple times but the furtherest I have ventured out from the beach at Gilmour pt was 200-300 yds, hit about 17fow.
@jzuliniak

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:25 AM »
theres lots of ice on dog  at hogans atleast 6 8 inches was jigging out of my car tday for a bit lol all i got was a bass and i had somthin nice on the tip up  not sure wat though lost it pretty quick anyone know nwere to get lots of eyes

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #114 on: Dec 29, 2010, 11:30 AM »
How far did you guys go out?

I set up smack in between the point and the beach, so right in the mouth of the bay heading in from the shipyard launch. I walked out from the launch

Offline Laker2011

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Look for the Frabill shelter
« Reply #115 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:35 AM »
Bass_Belt and I went out to 4th Depot early wednesday morning.  Very slow day but a good time none the less.  I caught a small walleye after about 4 hours on the ice.  The ice is a solid seven inches at least.  Does anyone know of a live bait shop on the way to the depot lakes out 38.  I know Leonards bait in the pit but i think it's shut down.  If anyone knows of another live bait shop in kingston or on the way to Verona could you please let us know. Thanks and good luck this season!
Stay Safe and Tight Lines.

Offline icerice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • love simcoe
« Reply #116 on: Dec 30, 2010, 11:35 AM »
Managed to get out to hambly lake yesterday with tristan420 & my 9 year old nephew. 5 pike and a jumbo. At a 530 am glance lake looked sketchy, but was 6inches most places and quads and snowmobiles were out. Was hoping for another couple of eyes but fared well with our catch. 12 hrs later i had to pull my nephew off the ice, it helped it was only -1 for most of the day and little wind. We had two portable huts but didn't need them. Happy the little guy was having fun.  :tipup:

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #117 on: Dec 30, 2010, 06:31 PM »
I will be on Dog Lake tomorrow morning around gilmour pt anyone else going to be out on Dog on friday?
@jzuliniak

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Dec 30, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I am heading out with a couple buddies to dog tomorrow. we are heading out from the launch on hitcock road. meeting up at 7:30.
my friend has had a little luck there i guess and he is taking us out to his spot.

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Dec 31, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Well Ice Warriors, the bite is occurring on several back lakes and it seems to be heating up.  Verona and Howes Lakes are producing some good sized perch, a few good pike and even some decent sized walleyes right now. While the weather has been pretty mild for the last few days, the fish are biting. I should also mention that the bathymetric map that I was able to produce this year of all of Verona Lake using my Lowrance 522 and the DrDepth software I bought has proven to be the best investment I have made in a long time.  Not only can I find the underwater features quickly, I have found other features under the water I did not know even existed even after fishing the lake for over 25 years. I have been able to produce both a paper depth map of the lake (which has not been done for over 100 years) but also a lcm map for use in GPS equipped fishfinders - ahhhh the wonders of modern technology!

As for other lakes, 2nd Depot Lake water level is extremely low as they had to lower the lake to do some culvert repairs at the north-end due to some flooding/washout near the road early this year.  Consequently, fishing on 2nd is questionable right now.  However, 3rd and 4th Depot Lakes are benefitting from the water being held back and some good sized fish are being caught closer to shore than normal due to the higher water levels.

Well I am heading out to Verona Lake tomorrow and trying for some more of those great walleyes!  All the best to everyone and will keep you up-to-date on further fishing developments!

Happy New Year!

Don a.k.a. "Leviathan_Slayer"

Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.