Author Topic: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes  (Read 226574 times)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
Dog
« Reply #60 on: Feb 27, 2010, 10:13 PM »
Anyone been on Dog lately, lots of slush? is the ice still good?
@jzuliniak

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Kingston, Ontario, Back Lakes
« Reply #61 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Yep, i catch a few splake in the gilmour/shipyard area. I set up for pike, and jig for panfish and perch. It is not a regular occurrence but then again im not targeting the specifically. I usually have a rod rigged with a jig and minnow waiting, if I draw in a splake while gill fishing I drop down the minnow to trigger him

I would say I catch a splake in about 20% of my outings to that area. Not bad sizes as well..here is one from last season in that spot

(Image removed from quote.)

IceJunky,

How do you include a picture in the log?

Don
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #62 on: Mar 10, 2010, 04:16 PM »
Hi sorry, i guess I have not been checking in on this site enuff, I got a little sping fever and have been over on the MFF.

I use photobucket and just paste a link to the body of my post, you need some kind of on-line photo host and photo-bucket is free and works for me

sorry for the late reply

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jul 04, 2010, 05:26 PM »
Well I am sure everybody is well into the soft water season and hopefully catching a lot of fish. I have been playing with a new program called DrDepth and by using my gps/sonar I have now been able to create bathymetric maps of lakes. I have just created the first detailed map of Verona Lake and it is fantastic!  I will be using it to map other lakes that maps are not available.
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Aug 05, 2010, 06:40 PM »
hey new to this site know tons of fishing spots around this area also im looking for someone to fish with someone that doesnt complain about bugs, weather,walking to private fishing areas just let me know cause im always looking for new spots

Offline tbfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FISH SAFE FOR YOUR LOVED ONES
« Reply #65 on: Aug 05, 2010, 09:07 PM »

Welcome to IceShanty lunkrhuntr
 After you post 5 times some options will open up for you like putting pictures on your Profile.

You will find this site very slow right now especially here in Ontario.
 Most people have moved over to myFishfinder.com but even there the Ontario Forums are very quiet
or should I say DEAD. LOL.
 Now if you take Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Michigan and Others they never shut up. LOL. LOL.
 Only kidding Guys and Gals.....I love all the information and pictures and humour of you ALL teasing
each other.

Bob
Fish Safe For Your Loved Ones

Offline guardbr8kr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Nov 18, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Thanks for the info guy's. Hopefully I get to see a few of you out on the ice this year. I'm from the Quinte West area and new to this board.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #67 on: Nov 18, 2010, 07:15 AM »
welcome aboard, I will be fishing down your way this winter, thats for sure

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Any lakes around Kingston starting to ice up?  Which one are you going to hit first?
@jzuliniak

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #69 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:07 PM »
I start my season off on Dog, the pike bite is usually on for the first few weeks in Jan. multiple flags and a few good fish

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #70 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:28 PM »
I am going to watch this thread. 
I am from the Syracuse area and have a cottage near Ompah, looking forward to some great ice fishing there this season.

Offline nocod

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 08, 2010, 08:30 PM »
I have never fished the area and am looking to hear how good the area produces.

Offline Splake_Hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:19 PM »

Regarding easily accessible lakes in the area I noticed nobody mentioned Draper and Upper Rock...they are easy as pie to get to, and they are going to be stocking them again this spring with 3000 splake biannually...so in a year or 2 they may start to produce again (now that people dont go there as much anymore!)

And I think the wasiest to get to lake that produces for me is Collins lake...I always use the boat launch off of Lakefield road...it says "no Trespassing" but I think it's just to keep down traffic....heading out from that launch head southwest towards the "mouth" of the creek and it opens up again into another open area...there is a lot of big pike in there...we never leave empty handed and always catch something in the 5 pounds area at the least...

9am53, I see Draper on the stocking lists, how do you access?  I am assuming off shales somehow??  I'd love to give it a shot this winter.

Also, Collins is where we keep our shack, the Lakefield launch now is equipped with a large locked gate.  At least it was all summer.

Offline daveyg17k

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 08, 2010, 10:32 PM »
My family used to have a Cabin on Otter Lake not far from Kingston, out by the Frontenac Park office. We always talked about heading up there ice fishing in the winter but it never happened. Has anyone ever ice fished there? I always had good luck there in the summer but never talked to anyone about winter. Just looking for some input to see if it is worth resurrecting those plans again. Please share your thoughts.

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Dec 09, 2010, 04:17 AM »
Access to Draper is of Perth road village near
Raymonds Corners,  the road is on the left, parking is on the road close to the lake, The spot to try is by the little island not too far from shore.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Dec 09, 2010, 08:51 AM »
My family used to have a Cabin on Otter Lake not far from Kingston, out by the Frontenac Park office. We always talked about heading up there ice fishing in the winter but it never happened. Has anyone ever ice fished there? I always had good luck there in the summer but never talked to anyone about winter. Just looking for some input to see if it is worth resurrecting those plans again. Please share your thoughts.

Read this thread from the start and you will know.  I'm going!

Offline daveyg17k

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 09, 2010, 09:56 AM »
The fishing in the area sounds great, but I was wondering about Otter lake specifically.

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 09, 2010, 02:18 PM »
The fishing in the area sounds great, but I was wondering about Otter lake specifically.

Ohh, Otter Lake.   That one I don't know.  From reading the thread, I would say the guys up there know which lakes produce and when.  My theroy is that the ice will be ready much sooner and safer much longer than the lakes in CNY.  And there seems to be more in the way of variety of species and locations.  Good Luck to you.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #78 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:27 AM »
Anyone been out in the Kingston area? I had a trip to Ottawa planned for this weekend, but Im hearing about bad ice conditions and have have to relocate to Dog or another area, anyone have and intel?

Offline NoSlack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 17, 2010, 09:56 AM »
The ice is good at Petrie Junky....Just bring some rubber boots to get onto the ice :)

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #80 on: Dec 17, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Iam going to do a little tour of some of the back lakes on saturday with the hope of finding one to fish on sunday.  I will report back on my findings sat. afternoon. 
@jzuliniak

Offline bobbyz04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Dec 17, 2010, 05:33 PM »
Good luck, ;D

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 18, 2010, 12:04 PM »
yes theres been good pike fishing on dog lake im headin out for some brookies tomorrow anyone wanna come or maybe might go to dog for the variety not sure yet

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 18, 2010, 01:14 PM »
yes theres been good pike fishing on dog lake im headin out for some brookies tomorrow anyone wanna come or maybe might go to dog for the variety not sure yet

Have you been on Dog this ice season?  I went and checked out a few lakes around kingston (Loughborough east and west, sydenham, Dog) and didnt find enough ice anywhere, couldnt even get out and drill holes had to drill them from shore/dock and didnt see more than 2" of ice anywhere.
@jzuliniak

Offline lunkrhuntr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #84 on: Dec 19, 2010, 01:59 PM »
oh yeah lots of ice on dog but stay near hogans 3=6 inches in some spots but black rock solid ice cant get to the splake yet but  real;ly good pike right now im headin out for brookies next weekend  at pattys for a little trout action got a seven pounder there last year if your up for the walk your more than welcome to come

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #85 on: Dec 19, 2010, 02:56 PM »
oh yeah lots of ice on dog but stay near hogans 3=6 inches in some spots but black rock solid ice cant get to the splake yet but  real;ly good pike right now im headin out for brookies next weekend  at pattys for a little trout action got a seven pounder there last year if your up for the walk your more than welcome to come

oh ok I looked out around gilmour point and it wasnt ready there. Where is hogans, I am always looking for new places try out?
@jzuliniak

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site so forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong area. I live in Kingston and my brother and I fish often in the spring, summer and fall but this will be our first season ice fishing. We've bought all the gear and we've done plenty of reading to make sure we don't make too many rookie mistakes.

All that being said, we're looking to hit up Dog lake via the shipyards as soon as the ice permits, does anyone know what the ice is like out there as of today?

Many thanks and I look forward to chatting with everyone here!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #87 on: Dec 21, 2010, 11:30 AM »
All that being said, we're looking to hit up Dog lake via the shipyards as soon as the ice permits, does anyone know what the ice is like out there as of today?

Hey Bass, welcome to the site. I fish out of the shipyards every winter. I have not yet been up this year, but there was a recent post that the ice was still about a week or so from being ready. One good thing to look for is this..

there are two locals that have permanent huts just outside the shipyards, they are on the ice as soon as it is ready, if you see the white hut you know the ice is good to go.

If you fish that I area I will probably see ya out there soon

Offline bass_belt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Wow that was fast!!! Thanks icejunky!

Very good tips thank you! I'll definitely keep an eye out for the white hut! We'll be fishing out of a Frabill shelter, see you out there!!! :)

Offline Tristan420

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Dec 21, 2010, 12:35 PM »
went out to 4th depot on sun no luck but 7.5 inches of ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.