Author Topic: Loughborough Catch Report  (Read 7485 times)

Offline Roaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Loughborough Catch Report
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:51 PM »
I was out on Loughborough on Monday and got 4.  Biggest was a little over 4 pounds.  Those are a couple beauty fish you caught!  Seems like the bite is on pretty good right now.  Havent been skunked yet in 5 outing on the lake.

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 07, 2013, 05:11 PM »
Skunked today..... from 8:30 till 12:30, Saw lots on the bottem and every so often they would come up about a foot and take a look.. but not a single bite.
Everyone needs to believe in something,
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline hardwaternewbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:43 AM »
Heading out to Loughborough tomorrow morning.  Hoping to be on the ice for 8.  I hope the snow is finished by then and it warms up.  No shelter but I have a stove to make some coffee. 

Anyone else heading out in the morning?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:56 PM »
good luck man, looks like the weather should be good this weekend, if you can get our of your driveway. Im hoping to get out on sunday but we will see

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:37 PM »
I was out there this morning from about 0800 -1300. I marked a lot  of fish and i caught 3 and lost 2. I caught all 3 within about 90 minutes of dropping the line and then after that i had a few hits but no takers. Here is a video to summarize my morning in the blizzard like conditions. GOOD THING I HAD HEAT! ps. dont mind the watermark on the video...im trying out different video editors.
&feature=youtu.be
ECB

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 09, 2013, 10:29 AM »
AWESOME video report Eastcoastboy and nice to see some fish going back down the hole!!! Looked like a super day fishin' minus the crappy weather. We got a good pounding of snow here in Ottawa as well. Again, great report!  ;D
Andrew

Offline Gills23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Nice trout

Offline leviathan_slayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:47 PM »
Well done ECB! You seem to have the formula down pat. Heading to Loughborough next weekend. Going to give Verona a break. Good work again.

Don
Don a.k.a. Leviathan_slayer

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 11, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Hey guys,
I made it out there this morning with the mrs and the mother in law to try to show some them some Loughborough lakers and i did quite well. The bite was slow first thing this morning but it picked up at about 10:30. I ended up going 4 for 6 but as soon as the bite got hot...the women needed to pee and were getting hungry lol. So we left and i kept one for dinner tonight. It was a slushy mess out there.
ECB

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Nice job..ECB,

Sadly my weekend is being filled up with work, at the moment. and not sure when i will get out next...
I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Offline celeste032

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:07 AM »
hey guys, hoping to get out in the next few days, see if I can get some Lakers. Not from around here though can anyone tell me where I should be going out( what street, with good parking). I don't wanna be walking around all day, hopefully get into some fish right away. Thanks in advance guys, you guys are defiantly dialed in.

Offline Possum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 12, 2013, 01:46 PM »
You Loughborough folks have got to be most sharing group on this forum!  With all the great posts and pics, how do you manage to keep fish in the lake?

Having said that, a buddy & I would like to give the lake a shot.  Our home waters are the Peterborough area, mostly Zone 17, and we're getting a bit bored with pan-fish.  We'd love to hook up with some locals to just show us the "lay of the land".  In return, we are self sufficient, 2 quads, 2 gas augers, Clam Summit, beer, great cooks, etc, etc and are perfectly willing to share.  Also be glad to help locally if you'd like, hard water or soft.

PM if you'd prefer to not leave the barn door wide open...

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 12, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Loughborough is on fire!!! i went there again this morning and went 5 for 9 in 4.5hrs. I also iced my new PB laker that weighed in at 7.25-7.5Lbs. Once again...these fish were all caught in 105fow and with the good ol white tube as always. Here is also a funny story...sooo i lost one of the lakers due to a line break that left 50ft less line on my little reel. I was a little bit mad but after i got a new tube tied on and iced 3 trout in the next 2 hours i was feeling pretty happy again. I had the urge to check my tube for damage after an aggressive hit and a fail on my part. So i start reeling up my tube and once its about 50ft from the hole i notice something chasing off bottom going just as fast as im reeling,so i stop.....and so does it!!! and then i start my retrieve again and it starts chasing again but maintaining a perfect 50 ft gap between my tube and itself. So im confused at this point and im scratchin my head thinking that is one messed up trout down there and then out comes my tube and hooked to it was 50ft of MY FISHING LINE and on the other end was my mangled tube lol. I will never forgot that moment and im happy i got my tube back haha.

ECB

Offline Canadian wigeon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 5 more minutes and will call it a day
« Reply #43 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Nice fish, you have been doing very well out there this year, Im glad to see the fish are starting to look healthy again in the lake!!! @)

I like your tube story!!!

It reminds me of a similar story from the same lake 30 years ago when it was originally open for lakers... My dad had a real nice laker on, my grandmother an avid fisherwomen went to gaff the fish and caught the line and bottom of the ice at the same time, fish got away and the gaff ended up in 90ft of water.. Back then the lake was only open for a 2 week period, it use to be quite the town out there.. Anyway, last day of the season my grand mother hooks into a decent fish, after what seemed like a lengthy battle my dad see's a silver flash go acrosss the hole, wouldent you know she hooked the same gaff she had lost a week and a half previous, odds gota be slim to none of that ever happening again... :o
Big Gaff Pro-staff

Offline kamaro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:26 PM »
you want to get into those stories

i was on the bay at point Anne with some good Buddy's who love to joke around .. fishing was slow and they where getting more and more joking if you get my drift (fishing in the same hole, minnow fight, burning lines with cigarettes, etc) well i just set up my bait caster on my good stiff jigging rod and turned around to see our tip up was going nuts went to tent with that ( notta btw) went to my hole and my rod was gone,, thought the boys where playin with me but they all said they didn't do it.. well about 20 min later was jigging in the same hole and had a hit set the hook but it got off so i reeled up to check my minnow and felt weight but no fight,,, low and behold theres my rod and rod holder with the minnow still on the hook

good times
My Wife
"Its like He has ADD and can't sit still for 1 min but he can look down a hole in the ice for HOURS"

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Feb 12, 2013, 08:25 PM »
good stories boys,
That's amazing how you caught your rod with bait still on lmao. I will be on Loughborough again tomorrow morning and we will see what happens. With any luck maybe i will come back with another fishing story haha. I think im borderline obsessed with Loughborough at this point. i must have iced around 20 trout so far this year and every time i set the hook i'm just as happy as when i had my first laker ever which was early January this year. When my wife and mother in law were out with me on Monday for their first ice fishing experience, my wife just happened to be recording right before i set the hook on this nice trout. 
&feature=youtu.be
ECB

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:00 PM »
OK, i thought the bite was great and couldn't get any better yesterday...but i was out again this morning from 8-12:30 and i iced 9 and kept 1. I also lost 6 about halfway up the water column during the fight and had about 15 hits. If a fish wasn't being iced,or lost then i was pretty much getting a hit insted. They were hitting short today and it was constant. It was funny because i had one hit right off bottom and then i started my retrieve and then 30 feet later he hit again, and then another 30 feet and he hit again, and then about 10 feet from the hole i was looking down and i saw the fish take another swipe at it and then he darted back down to the bottom. It was probabaly one of the coolest things ive ever seen while fishing.
ECB

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:35 PM »
OK, i thought the bite was great and couldn't get any better yesterday...but i was out again this morning from 8-12:30 and i iced 9 and kept 1. I also lost 6 about halfway up the water column during the fight and had about 15 hits. If a fish wasn't being iced,or lost then i was pretty much getting a hit insted. They were hitting short today and it was constant. It was funny because i had one hit right off bottom and then i started my retrieve and then 30 feet later he hit again, and then another 30 feet and he hit again, and then about 10 feet from the hole i was looking down and i saw the fish take another swipe at it and then he darted back down to the bottom. It was probabaly one of the coolest things ive ever seen while fishing.
Nice 9 for 15 is pretty fantastic, anytime you can land more than half of what you hook up with in deep water its a good day,  havent been out on Lobo much this year but I remember a year or two back I was keeping track of my hook up to land rates, I would have 1 for 5s 3 for 7s then have days where everything stuck and I would bat 100% but the end result was about 65%
@jzuliniak

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:12 AM »
Great stories and some impressive success from ECB!

This might go without saying, but try sharpening your hooks more frequently.  I loose lots of fish too  :-\ I think due to the hardness of the trout's mouth and depth of fishing it can be tough to get a good hookset into them.  A stiffer  rod, braided line and sticky sharp hooks really helped my percentages.  I will often sharpen my hooks in between fish if it's not too cold.  Run the hook lightly across your thumb nail, if it doesn't stick, it's not sharp enough.  I find most hooks aren't sharp enough when they are brand-new.
Tight lines

Offline sig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 14, 2013, 12:27 PM »
I hit Loughborough this am.  Great morning sunny and warm.  I fished in 98 ft,met eastcoastboy on the way out, caught 2 kept 1.
[img width=218 height=80]http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt331/431-s

Offline bl8ant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:22 PM »
Wow guys, fish really seem to be on. Wonder if the cold spell approaching will change the bite.
Is most of the lake safe for atv trave? It will be our first visit this weekend from ottawa and loughborough froze way later than the lakes up here in the valley.

Any help would be appreciated boys.

Sean

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Wow guys, fish really seem to be on. Wonder if the cold spell approaching will change the bite.
Is most of the lake safe for atv trave? It will be our first visit this weekend from ottawa and loughborough froze way later than the lakes up here in the valley.

Any help would be appreciated boys.

Sean

Sean,
You should be fine on an ATV. I did find some 6-7 inch ice in the very middle of the lake (deepest water) but other areas had 10-13inches. You will find there is a lot of uneven terrain with slush on the lake, making travel somewhat difficult. I watched couple of guys yesterday on ATV's and they were having a very wet ride. One guy was going pretty fast spraying water all over while the other was towing a gear sled and his going was quite slow. Much of the lake's surface is coated with barely frozen top sheet and 1-4" of slushy mess underneath.
We had somewhat mild day today here, it is not supposed to get very cold tonight either so I don't imagine surface conditions will improve all that much.
Fishing was somewhat slow yesterday (I was out most of the day).
Good luck.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 16, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Farmerk has it right about the conditions, must have been messy the other day you can see big slush pools and tire ruts that have frozen over especially by the launch.  If you are walking out pulling a sled its not fun by the launch but gets better as you get out further.  Was out for about 2.5hrs this morning went 3 for 3 in 87fow all fish were right off the bottom, didnt have a chance to fish higher up in the water column although iam sure they were there too.  Hot lure today was a white/pearl jigging shad rap tipped w a Gulp minnow head. Brought one 23" home for dinner let the others go.  In the past I have taken the bottom hook off the jigging raps when fishing for bigger fish but iam glad I didn't today, this guy T-boned the lure and only ended up with the treble in the corner of his mouth.

@jzuliniak

Offline bl8ant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Feb 16, 2013, 10:24 AM »
Wow thanks so much farmerk. We will be trying out the lake for the first time tomorrow. White tubes and 100 feet of water seems to be the ticket huh if you goys see a yellow can am towing a nanook that is us

Sean

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Feb 16, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Nice catch JZ, you had better luck than me. I was out there Thursday and went 1 for 1 (about 6-7 lbs) and then only a couple hits and a few chasers. I was out today from 7:30-12 and got THE SKUNK! 4 hits and that's it. The trout seem to be moving around a lot now and not staying in one spot long enough to get interested in the bait. I will try again tomorrow and see what happens. It was nice to meet you on thursday Farmerk. Glad to hear you iced some more fish after i left. 
ECB

Offline farmerk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 16, 2013, 11:39 PM »
JZ, You did well in such short time. Congrats. Fish seem to be moving into late winter patters which can be tough, it will only get harder unless you know where to find them once smelts move in. I found some schools of smelt on Thursday but not high up yet. Let's hope for some cold weather still.
Good luck to all.

Offline Cadeuses

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 17, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Hey East Coast Boy, you are doing great out there on lough.  I bought myself an Ice 35 today, so we will have to link up so you can show me how to use it.   ;D  When ya going out again?   ???

Cadeuses

Offline eastcoastboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 17, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Cadeuses, I will be out there on tuesday and wednesday, first thing in the morning till about 2ish both days. I will show you how to use the ice 35 if you are out the same time as me. I always have my blue clam shanty set up so if you see it, come on over.

I was out this morning from 0730 to 1200 and got the SKUNK again lol. I didn't even get a hit this time though, but i saw them and they were lazy!!! they would chase it 10 ft and give up everytime. But the worst thing about my SKUNKINGS is that my wife bought me a GoPro HERO 3 for V-day and i was so pumped to catch some video of trout hitting hard but ever since i brought the GoPro with me on the last 2 outings trying to get some good HD wide angle video, all im getting is the skunk HAHA hopefully my luck changes.
ECB

Offline Cadeuses

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 17, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Ok, sounds good.  I am up in Ottawa for the day tomorrow.  If I can get out to lough early Tuesday, say maybe 6, I can fish til 730, then head in to work.  I'll bring some minnows to try.

Cadeuses

Offline MegaRam

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 17, 2013, 05:47 PM »
Was on Loughborough today, from 9 till 3, and just as ECB said..They are lazy lazy lazy... I managed to ice one.. and marked about 10 others, but they didn't bite.

ECB, Were you out in deeper water with the two other huts and quad, on the left side?  I tried looking for you today... one day we'll meet up out there.

I believe
I'LL GO FISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.