Author Topic: Weekend back north  (Read 1488 times)

Offline *Wiggler*

• IceShanty Rookie
Weekend back north
« on: Feb 23, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I had the weekend off so I decided to head north to try the lakes around my cottage.
I met up with my cousins Jason and Mac(TRYZ2FISH) and  Mac's girlfriend Emma. We tried for splake saturday morning and we weren't disappointed. Emma hit the first two fish and both were fat female perch. I was able to get a splake and Jason got two. Lots of missed fish and Emma even pulled in a smallmouth bass.

We headed back to the cottage for some lunch right around high noon. I had to run into town to get a few things anyways. That afternoon we decided to go to a "walk in" lake that held walleye. I was able to connect with a nice walleye. I had to release it though because the lake has a slot limit. It was a nice way to end the day. The sun shone all day and the wind was very low. It made for a very memorable day on the hard water.

The next day was overcast and snow had fallen overnight. It got a bit of a late start. We fished the same area as the morning before. The fishing had slowed down. I was able to get another splake and lost one at the hole. Mac and Emma packed it in around 2 but I decided to stay and see if I could get anything else. The fishing was slow and the snow came down pretty heavy a couple times.

I decided I was going to leave around 4 but when that time came around I kinda changed my mind....and I'm glad I did. At 5 I moved my second set line to a deeper hole. As I was setting it up I thought I heard the bells go on my first line. I looked but it didn't seem to be moving. I finished with the second line and started back when the bells took off.

I landed a nice splake and had just got the line set back up when I looked over at my second line and the rod was over. I ran to it and pulled up a largemouth bass. That's a first for me.

After the pic I release the little guy and set my line back up. I started taking a few pics on the walk back. I turned around and the rod was over again. Running back I pulled up another splake. I released this guy to grow up. I set the rod once again and walked back to my seat. I had just sat down and saw the tip bounce a couple times. I ran over once again and set the hook on another splake. What a flurry of fish. 4 fish in about 10-15 mins.

That was the end of a good day that didn't start out too well.

What an awesome weekend. I can't wait to do it again.

Offline Rich

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Weekend back north
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:15 PM »
Looks like a great weekend and you had the lake to yourself.  :)
I love my Clam, Vex, Mr. Buddy...

Offline *Wiggler*

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2009, 05:03 PM »
 ;D It looks like we had the lake to ourselves but in fact there were about 20 people that I could see in our end of the lake on saturday. Sunday wasn't as nice weather wise so maybe half that.

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:44 PM »
Looks like fun for sure... When is my invite???? Great story great pictures.. i think i need to hit a splake lake before the hard season is over!:> Keep up the good work can't wait to see the next outing!:> (maybe ill be there lol)
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline S.M.05

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 6 days of work, 1 day of trout.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Nice catch Wiggler ;) Those are some chunky splake and the same with the perch. Looks like a great outing topped with a couple bass and walleye. 8)

tight lines :tipup:
If you cant ride it, drink it or bring home it to bed, it aint worth having!

Offline viciouscircle

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • sure its thick enough to hold our weight, after u
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:24 PM »
awesome stuff wiggler, nice range of species...i'm still to catch one of those trout...maybe next year.

thanks for posting.
   "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!"

Offline TRYZ2FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2009, 07:32 AM »
Even though i was skunked again all weekend  :P it was a good weekend. Wiggler next time let me borrow your horseshoe make sure ya wash it off first though lol.

:icefish:

TRYZ2FISH

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2009, 09:32 AM »
Good fish, nice area, friends and family can not beat that.
Good luck with BOQ.

Gary
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:28 AM »
Hey Brent,

Nice Pics.  I have not had that great success on B o Q either this winter .  Looks like you have found a nice "Go To" lake.

P.S.

I have also enjoyed some of your snow bank diving videos lately.

cheers

Derek

Offline TRYZ2FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:32 AM »
lol super brent is known to the public now???? he is a much better stuntman then fisherman lol

Offline killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:38 AM »
He is a facebook star.  I am looking forward to his next stunts.  It does look like he knows what he is doing on the hardwater though.

Offline TRYZ2FISH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2009, 10:47 AM »
Ya he's got pretty good luck when it comes to the fishin. i just gotta give him a hard time cause he's my cousin. and not only does he dive in snow banks but he also dives into sand and rocks on many occasions lol but you'll have to here that story from him.

Offline killer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2009, 11:46 AM »
I've actually seen some aftermath pictures of the rock and sand diving he has done.  I have not heard the whole story but wow , his face was a mess. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.