Author Topic: Insulated vs unisulated shanty  (Read 8006 times)

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Insulated vs unisulated shanty
« Reply #30 on: Nov 30, 2017, 03:33 PM »
If you have a flip shelter, and are using it the way it was intended to be used, you are running and gunning. You are not spending more than 10 or 15 min in an unproductive spot. Un-insulated will save weight.

I find that important for these two reasons....
1... The above ground reservoirs we have in my area do not allow atv's or snowmobiles. One of them (Findlay Oh #2) is 640 acres.

2... Those same above ground reservoirs are notorious for difficult fishing. There are some contours that can be targeted, but are pretty plain structure wise. So moving a lot to find biting fish.

I never sit long enough to worry about condensation until I find fish and stay a while.

If your style is to set up and stay in one place, or move seldomly, then I can see the insulated fabric as a distinct advantage.
Agree 100%

I fish Northern MN and NW Ontario.  Fish a little in ND and Lake Winnipeg as well.  Insulated or non insulated makes zero difference to me.  Pretty much everyone owns a heater, right?  Most important thing is how well a shelter can seal out the wind.

Someone really needs to do a test on how much difference the insulated fabrics make on the temperature inside a shake.  Just need two identical shelters, one insulated one not insulated, and two identical heaters.  Set them up, bank some snow around, and turn the heaters on... take temp readings every 15 minutes or so.  I'd put money on you don't see much more than 10 degrees difference.

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:03 PM »
Agree 100%

I fish Northern MN and NW Ontario.  Fish a little in ND and Lake Winnipeg as well.  Insulated or non insulated makes zero difference to me.  Pretty much everyone owns a heater, right?  Most important thing is how well a shelter can seal out the wind.

Someone really needs to do a test on how much difference the insulated fabrics make on the temperature inside a shake.  Just need two identical shelters, one insulated one not insulated, and two identical heaters.  Set them up, bank some snow around, and turn the heaters on... take temp readings every 15 minutes or so.  I'd put money on you don't see much more than 10 degrees difference.
It's not the temp, it's the condensation.  Insulated adds a layer to help keep it from raining on you while in your shack.  Think regular pint glass with condensation on the outside, then a double wall mug with no condensation.

Offline gonehunting

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:19 PM »
Insulated = no dripping, no annoying wind flap, no black plastic lining flaking off all over , warmer, more durable.  Ok a lb or two heavier.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:38 PM »
Your in PA.....do the Lakes even freeze there ?.....Un Insulated....save your money for bait ? I Run an uninsulated hub style shack up here......plenty warm...with a little buddy heater

Yes the lakes freeze here and good for you that you run an uninsulated hub.  With spending a little more for the insulated shelters you won't have condensation dripping on your head and wouldn't need to run a buddy heater nearly as much so the money you save buying the heater and propane you can get a lot more bait, lures, and gear.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2017, 05:42 PM »
Insulated = no dripping, no annoying wind flap, no black plastic lining flaking off all over , warmer, more durable.  Ok a lb or two heavier.

X2 on all that - just, generally, more comfortable.  The new insulated shelters are just not that much more weight than thier uninsulated counterparts.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2017, 07:07 AM »
All my portables are unisulated, last year I fished in a insulated one.
Definitely going that route next time I purchase one.
Worth the extra $$$$$
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.