Author Topic: Anyone else want to get a kid set up with everything  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Anyone else want to get a kid set up with everything
« on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:03 PM »
if everyone pitches in it should be easy and make someone very happy on Christmas

Some kind of drawing

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Anyone else want to get a kid set up with everything
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Whatcha got in mind??

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2017, 12:52 PM »
I like your thinking. Right now is an especially good time to acknowledge how good we really have it. Are you thinking some kind of GoFundMe deal? Raffle? If you're just talking just a raw hardware setup I could probably supply a small orphanage out the extra gear that's stuck to me like barnacles over the years. What kind of fishing do you do there? How old is the kid?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 02:00 PM »
I'm thinking new gear or slightly used I have no idea who the kid is I'm thinking a members kid drawing all gear donated by IS members the whole set up,shanty,flasher,auger,rod,reel.scoop,picks etc.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2017, 02:47 PM »
That's an ambitious plan but something beyond what a handful of guys would be able to afford. The moderators of the Forum might be able to co-ordinate something with the site sponsors looking to spend some of their advertising budget and at the same time to write off some dead inventory in a splashy cause. Any moderators out there with some creative ideas?
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:03 PM »
I love this idea and would donate gear. A few questions thou What would be the age span would you go for 2-13 years of age ?  How would we enter our kids? 1 entry per family?
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2017, 08:17 PM »
no 2 would be to young more like the age where your kids want your gear   8 or 10- 16 or when they can drag a sled.

Offline Evinrude58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:30 PM »
No matter what the age group I think I got at least 1 grandkid that would qualify as I have 10 ages 2-23. Though there are a couple small gaps in coverage. Lol

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2017, 09:41 PM »
I'm thinking new gear or slightly used I have no idea who the kid is I'm thinking a members kid drawing all gear donated by IS members the whole set up,shanty,flasher,auger,rod,reel.scoop,picks etc.

If your’re like me, You have plenty of gear on hand. Not sure my daughter needs anything when I take her on the hard water. Perhaps instead of a member’s kid, consider looking for a school that would be looking to start a club. I recall there was one here in upstate NY that was on IS last year

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 22, 2017, 10:45 PM »
Most all of us on here, with kids, have enough know how, and gear to equipt a small army of kiddos...

But I wonder about the single moms (who won't read this forum) who's child would  benefit most from this situation...

I'd almost rather see a get together, possibly even with an autistic child, or children, as a mentor/coaching program as a way to inspire, and possibly introduce them into this awesome outdoor world God gave us...

I know, I'm glad, I'm DAD, to both my autistic children... But no worries about us, somehow we're always looked over, and protected by the One that makes everything possible...

I do wonder and worry about the kids involved in separated marriages, with possible barriers (time, money, lack of dad's interest of the outdoor life) that will possibly lead them down the road of life, without ever feeling that "tug" (which is an answer from above) from below...

I don't think passing on equipment is the best option, passing on the reason for respect, and the reason we love this stuff might serve further...

Just my rambling thoughts...

<°)))>{

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2017, 11:15 PM »
No matter what the age group I think I got at least 1 grandkid that would qualify as I have 10 ages 2-23. Though there are a couple small gaps in coverage. Lol

if any of those kids need a flasher to share send me your info

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2017, 12:09 AM »
if any of those kids need a flasher to share send me your info
Don't the Boy Scouts have a merit badge for fishing? That might be an avenue to explore.
Thread killer

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 23, 2017, 05:36 AM »
These are all great ideas. From my perspective, a basic hardware package would reach more kids in need than the full blown deal like we've all accumulated over time. You'll also need to judge want-to and stick-to-itiveness. When my boy was 13 he thought ice fishing was a hoot. By the time he was 15 all he wanted was a woman. I tried to explain that ice fishing was cheaper in the long run. Personally, the key is each of us individually mentoring a likely local boy or girl who shows an interest in what is actually sort of an oddball pastime.
Hardware is easy. Know-how and the willingness to share it are rare.
                                                               Stinky

Chute82

« Reply #13 on: Nov 23, 2017, 07:47 AM »
Don't the Boy Scouts have a merit badge for fishing? That might be an avenue to explore.

They did when I was a kid but recently replaced with the iPad merit badge

Offline NEWLEE

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Marcum then catch 'em
« Reply #14 on: Nov 23, 2017, 08:05 AM »
Great idea. I'm sure I could come up something to donate.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2017, 04:09 PM »
If your’re like me, You have plenty of gear on hand. Not sure my daughter needs anything when I take her on the hard water. Perhaps instead of a member’s kid, consider looking for a school that would be looking to start a club. I recall there was one here in upstate NY that was on IS last year

Found a HS here in WI starting a ice fishing club/team        will go this route

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:26 PM »

I'd almost rather see a get together, possibly even with an autistic child, or children, as a mentor/coaching program as a way to inspire...

...I'm DAD, to both my autistic children...

This is awesome, it reminds me of me and my son.  I too am a dad to a wonderful little 5 year old boy who also has autism.  He's non-verbal and our communication is virtually non-existent (compared to his peers), but I've always taken him everywhere and he's enjoyed it.  Over the past two summers I've taken him on boat rides and fishing trips and last year I bought a wood ice shack so that he could go somewhere warm - he LOVED it!  I set up the rods and then we do coloring books, watch movies etc etc and when I catch fish he loves seeing/touching them in the bucket.  And when the snowmobiles go screaming by he opens the door to watch them.  I can't wait to take him this year once the ice sets up in a few more weeks.   

It's nice to see another parent taking his kids (regardless of neurotype) outdoors, but especially when it requires that much more effort and dedication to help kids with different needs. :)   

How long is a piece of string?

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2017, 09:43 PM »
My boy has been non verbal, but has slowly starting talking around 8.. Now at 9 still not close, but way, way, way, further, than 7.....

Best of luck to all of ya!!

<°)))>{

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 01, 2017, 05:05 AM »
They did when I was a kid but recently replaced with the iPad merit badge

#truestory
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.