Author Topic: [2017 Ice Fishing Picture Contest]  (Read 18810 times)

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
[2017 Ice Fishing Picture Contest]
« on: Sep 08, 2017, 11:19 AM »
Ohhhh Yeah!!!! It's time to kick off the iceshanty ice season for 2017-18! Might be tough for some of you to find photos from last season. Or heck even the season before that with the poor ice conditions! Dig up your most awesome ice fishing picture and post it here on this thread.

For the contest this year please add a little text or story about the photo. *This will be included in the judging.

On December 1st 2017 I'll select the top ten which will then be voted on by the membership to determine the top 3 prize winners.  Let's see some photos of the hardwater!

Prizes

Top 10 I select will win a 3 month militia trial package.

Top 3 that are voted win a JawJacker, a 4 pack of Custom Jigs and Spins, a Team Iceshanty Ball Cap and some stickers from the  Team Iceshanty Proshop

Rules
Post only one image entry per member.
Post only a photo of your own.
Contest entry period ends December 1 2017

Good Luck!  :tipup:

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
Re: [2017 Ice Fishing Picture Contest]
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2017, 08:37 AM »
Might as well start it off, this pic is from the end of a very warm day on the ice at Strawberry Reservoir last season. My auger had melted down into the ice pretty far with the sled & sunkissed mountain in the back ground looked like a good shot. Great day on the hard deck

Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Opening day on my favorite place to fish.  Arrived in the morning and it was completely fogged in and it stayed fogged in all day until the last 30 minutes of sun.  Western Montana had an exceptional amount of snow this last winter and there was 3’ of snow on the level which made it challenging to get to the ice (walk in only). Once you got to the ice it was easy traveling though.  I’ve fished this place literally for decades and for the last 30 years, opening day has always been the same group of friends fishing. This winter was different as one of my fishing buddies who has been fighting cancer for the last 25 years was unable to fish opening morning for the first time since I’ve known him, just too much snow and not enough energy to get to the ice. I told him I would try to get a decent trail to the ice and maybe he could make it out at a later date.  It turned out to be one of those days when the fishing is just a bonus and you’re just appreciative to be out there.  My buddy never made it out to the ice and his battle ended early this summer. His final request of all his fishing buddies…..”go fishing for me”, so I did, I am and I will.
PS: thanks for hosting another contest Scott:)

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2017, 08:20 AM »
I snagged this picture of my buddy Brandon. It was an extremely cold morning in Michigan. -3 degrees and we both stepped out of the warm shanty to move across the lake. Brandon's beard immediately froze over. This pictures to me captured the pure joy us ice fishermen feel when out on the frozen water. Regardless of temp, or weather conditions, we are just happy to be standing on a lake doing something we love!
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline dochulk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2017, 12:03 PM »

wish i had my other picture, but my entire day is summed up in this pic. small guys all day that day on lotw.

Offline lostbrit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2017, 03:25 PM »

Trying to catch anything!!

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2017, 04:56 PM »

My wife's biggest through the ice back in February. She still has the biggest for this year  :-\

Offline IcePirateJace

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 22, 2017, 03:30 PM »

First trip up to Winnipeg. Buddy was a master angler, me not so much. Right at 28" but the crew thought it was bigger than the 30 a different guy caught. Realeased to swim another day.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2017, 10:13 PM »

The long walk out on Upper Red Lake. Was two years ago on Dec. 19th. Had to leave the ice castle on shore to sleep in. The resort wasn't letting out 4 wheelers because of slush pockets, so it was about 1-2mile walk out to get to the fish. A day or so before a break went through and they constructed the bridge for walk out traffic.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2017, 11:26 PM »
But for the stranger, right rear, I had Round Lake State Park to myself and got a colorful supper.    ;)2

Nunpa Wanbli (Lakota = 2 eagles) our National Bird, were on the horizontal distant upper limb over my head in the photo.

Alas, the 12 second shutter-timer was 25% over their wait limit. How's your imagination ? Look again ~ maybe they're back.     ;)2

For the show of a lifetime, compress the foot of snow 12' to 15' for a landing strip, add several dink perch near the center and move away a few yards and set the camera to "Burst mode" for many close sequenced shots, as split seconds become magic. 

Technical:  27" Cold+Steel r2fcsml ice rod in holder on ice, spring set with trigger release, Shimano AZ1000FA, bale closed on Lindy 2#Co-Polymer Ice line, Carlisle Tru-Turn #6 red long and 1" piece of night crawler. Most important feature is NO SPLIT SHOT.

Olympus 725 Ultra Zoom 10X optical 4 MP no flash tripod mounted clouded sun minimum shadow.

Photo shop was unable to remove Sasquatch.

Tinypic.com

Tom

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2017, 07:05 AM »

Got this pic from our shack last year. Was an amazing sky!! It was a great way to round out a great day of fishing with my wife.

Offline brgray1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Oct 04, 2017, 11:11 PM »

Staying mobile... I mean comfortable.  Maybe a little of both.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2017, 05:56 AM »

This is my 10 year old daughter with her 30" male land locked salmon. She fought and landed the fish completely on her own. My wife and I were very impressed how well she handled the hard fighting fish only ever cathing perch previously on tip ups. Funny thing was my daughter didn't even want to go fishing that day as we left our house super early at 3:30 am.
She is not a morning person. She was so pumped when she landed this fish she still tells the story how she caught it and always seems to throw in "that's pretty good for a kid my age to catch a fish like that isn't it" I think she is now officially hooked on ice fishing. Wife and I did send this fish to taxidermist for her ......we are still waiting for the finished mount.

Offline theripper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2017, 02:51 PM »

I can't wait to put the smack down on some perch again this year with my boy!

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #14 on: Oct 08, 2017, 11:30 AM »

When you decide to jump in a truck with your fishing buddies, and drive over 1300 miles to participate in the countries largest ice fishing contest and represent the NY/NJ east coast, you better catch fish(which two out of the four of our members did) and you better make sure to get your 80+ year old buddy, Wayne, up in the only lift on the ice and take in the veiw of over 10,000 ice fishing enthusiasts from 37 feet above the ice.

It is what it is....

Offline massNtrash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Untouched pristine lake in the high country of western Wyoming with Squaretop Mountain in the background.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2017, 12:15 PM »
That is a beautiful picture of that lake with the mountain as a backdrop!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2017, 01:32 PM »
Introduced my dad to ice fishing a few years ago. He absolutely loves to go and has quickly been able to out fish anyone in the area. He is funny and maybe a bit superstitious, just like his mom was. Once I set him up with a noodle rod and a tungsten jig and now that is all he will fish with no matter what. One day he caught a fish that broke off and stole his beloved jalapeno jig with just the right colors. He was devastated until a few minutes later my daughter caught a fish that had his lure in its mouth. Now he has a favorite story to tell as well. I set him up with this rod to catch small perch. He is seen here catching three pound trout and loving every minute of it! One day when he is gone to the shanty in the sky, I'm sure this pic will mean a lot more to me than it does now. I love how he is setting the rod with such excitement and is having a ball. I will never forget our days out together on the hard deck. Love that man!

Offline Mooncat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2017, 02:57 PM »
Our 2nd annual group Ice Fishing Trip with the friends from high school. Didn't catch much this afternoon but caught a wonderful sunset. As you can also tell this was a sketchy deal. There was an amazing amount of water on top of the lake (3 inches of water/slush). We were of course very cautious getting on this lake and drilled our way out but there was 24" of ice in most areas even with crazy warm temps and that much water/slush on top.

Already have this years trip planned for Bitter/Waubay area in South Dakota SuperBowl weekend. Hope to have another amazing year, and if any of you are going to be up there around that time would love to grab a beer or 2.

Can't wait till the ice comes back!

Thanks,
Paul in Palmyra, Nebraska

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 09, 2017, 04:05 PM »

I remember being upset with myself for running late that morning, I was hustling through everything. Bulling and jamming to get all my stuff out of my truck and loaded up for the long trek to the hardside. The very moment before I started pulling my sled I finally looked up to see this beautiful site. I decided it was time to chill out a bit, slow down and enjoy one of the many reasons I love to be an ice fishermen.
Let it freeze

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 10, 2017, 01:54 PM »

I took my grandson Wyatt ice fishing on Holter Lake and we got into some perch. Grandpa needs to learn not to make him look into the sun when I take pictures, but he had a blast catching the pile of fish in front of him.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Very nice! Great to get the kids enjoying the outdoors.

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 10, 2017, 02:58 PM »
When you just can't wait to go ice fishing!

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Hate to see what might be caught there!

Offline ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:04 PM »
Hate to see what might be caught there!

Brown trout, I'm thinkin'  :roflmao: :roflmao:
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 10, 2017, 03:08 PM »
Lol, crappies?

Offline gekhang

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 12, 2017, 08:08 AM »
Lake of the woods!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #27 on: Oct 12, 2017, 12:21 PM »
When you just can't wait to go ice fishing!

turdles.

Offline bmyrkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:39 AM »

Just some pretty bluegill from Tamarock Lake near Lansing, Michigan. Taken in February of 2017.
"I get asked, 'what's your favorite fish to catch?' Well, it's red lines on my Vexilar. I don't care what's down there. I just want to go out and catch something." -- Dave Genz

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13, 2017, 07:58 PM »
My kid had been away at college for four years and boot camp / Army MOS training the prior to that. This is an image of the first time he got back on the ice in five seasons. As you can see the ice was sketchy, squalls were blowing through and the worst part is, he didn't catch a dang thing. Even though the conditions stunk and so did the fishing, there was no getting him off the ice until it was too dark to see.

👮👮👮

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.