Author Topic: Perfect Ice Off Conditions  (Read 2539 times)

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
Perfect Ice Off Conditions
« on: Apr 23, 2020, 01:59 PM »
Had an INSANE day recently up at 7.7K, hitting a lake that was just icing off...It was a really warm day so after the first hour, the dam wall opened up about 10 yards and a nice ally of open water was available...The Minnows were THICK AS GNATS from one end of the dam wall to the other (Pictured below)!

My GF and I were using 2" Micro Minnows from one of my sponsors (also pictured below). I figured with all the minnows being in the shallows (didn't think there was going to be this many) during these times, the small paddletail would be a great call...We were there for a few hours and I estimate we caught around 50...Almost every cast was a fish lol.

Did my first How-To video on pulling trout in with softbaits, hoping I did a good job of balancing explanation of tips/techniques and fishing action! Let me know what you guys think!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Perfect Ice Off Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 23, 2020, 09:06 PM »
Tyler-Samantha thank you for the video congratulations to both of you on a good day of trout fishing. :clap: :thumbsup: I guess it is relative to where you live like how you call 7-7.5 thousand foot in elevation mid.elevation lakes. Here in NY. our highest mountain tops out at under 5,200 feet if my memory is correct.
 Steve

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2020, 06:31 PM »
Tyler-Samantha thank you for the video congratulations to both of you on a good day of trout fishing. :clap: :thumbsup: I guess it is relative to where you live like how you call 7-7.5 thousand foot in elevation mid.elevation lakes. Here in NY. our highest mountain tops out at under 5,200 feet if my memory is correct.
 Steve
Thanks Steve, we couldn't have timed that ice off any better...and I knew there would be minnows but not that many!! Haha I didn't even think to the subjectivity of the "Mid-elevation" term. I guess most people don't have that height in their states at all. Appreciate the comment, i'll have to be more conscious of that in the future! 7.5K out here to us is nothing lol.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2020, 09:52 AM »
Tyler after my last post did a Google search for the elevation of New York's highest mountain I was off on the height. Mount Marcy is our highest mountain at 5,344 feet it is located in the Adirondack Mountain region of North Eastern New York. I live in the south eastern part of the state most of the lakes I fish are probably 1,500 feet or less in elevation. The tops of many mountains here in the Eastern U.S. are the same heights as many towns,cities and villages in the Rocky Mountain states.

Depending on how accessible the lake you were fishing at is in the Winter you may want to plan a visit in late March /early April (if ice conditions allow) and ice fish in the same area I'm wondering how early the minnows move into that section of the lake you may have another banner day catching trout.
 Steve

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Tyler after my last post did a Google search for the elevation of New York's highest mountain I was off on the height. Mount Marcy is our highest mountain at 5,344 feet it is located in the Adirondack Mountain region of North Eastern New York. I live in the south eastern part of the state most of the lakes I fish are probably 1,500 feet or less in elevation. The tops of many mountains here in the Eastern U.S. are the same heights as many towns,cities and villages in the Rocky Mountain states.

Depending on how accessible the lake you were fishing at is in the Winter you may want to plan a visit in late March /early April (if ice conditions allow) and ice fish in the same area I'm wondering how early the minnows move into that section of the lake you may have another banner day catching trout.
 Steve

I guess i've never really looked into the Eastern Mountain Ranges, figured you had higher mountains than that. That's good knowledge though. Wow! Half my life I lived in a town called Glenwood Springs which sits at 5,760! Crazy to think of the height comparisons.

The lake is very accessible and very popular in the winter. We did a few episodes up there this winter and I landed my PB of any species through the ice! It has become my one of my favorite reservoirs as far as consistency goes. There was a tournament this winter, I guess all top 3 were off the dam wall lol. Our last ice of the year the trout were gorging on the minnows already, several were throwing them up as we pulled them up...Couple locals we talked to said the same thing. That was only a few weeks back.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2020, 06:02 PM »
I believe the mountains in Eastern U.S. are geologically older so have seen and been affected by weather for longer period of time then those that make up the Rockies. I have to research this but think parts of the Rockies have seen volcanic activity over the centuries which contributes to their heights. Also reason for the Geysers in Yellowstone National Park . I've resided in New Windsor for majority of my life what you out in the mountains would call lowland most of the town falls between 3 to five hundred feet in elevation. New Windsor lies in what is know as they Mid Hudson river valley I'm around 60-65 miles north of NYC the town dates back to Revolutionary war era few historic sites within the town's borders.

If the other factors that support a healthy fish population are present you should see good game fish numbers for several years at that lake. Hope all of you are staying healthy and had a good day.
 Steve

Offline Team CO.F.F.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2020, 05:44 PM »
I believe the mountains in Eastern U.S. are geologically older so have seen and been affected by weather for longer period of time then those that make up the Rockies. I have to research this but think parts of the Rockies have seen volcanic activity over the centuries which contributes to their heights. Also reason for the Geysers in Yellowstone National Park . I've resided in New Windsor for majority of my life what you out in the mountains would call lowland most of the town falls between 3 to five hundred feet in elevation. New Windsor lies in what is know as they Mid Hudson river valley I'm around 60-65 miles north of NYC the town dates back to Revolutionary war era few historic sites within the town's borders.

If the other factors that support a healthy fish population are present you should see good game fish numbers for several years at that lake. Hope all of you are staying healthy and had a good day.
 Steve

Sorry for not getting back to you Steve! You are definitely correct about volcanic activity in the Rockies. Not all of it but some of it for sure. That's cool, I've heard of the hudson river valley from a wide variety of different sources. TV, friends, etc. Hoping to get out there one day and fish. I almost went to Niagara last year for a card tournament, but chose not to in the end. That fishery should hopefully stay that way for a long time, a lot of the fisheries in that area are stellar trout fisheries! Hope you're staying safe as well man, take care!!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2020, 08:42 PM »
Tyler, I have relatives in Casper,WY. flown into Denver a couple of times and then made the drive to Casper. The United States is fortunate to have such a variety of terrain and scenery. Brook trout are NY.'s native trout we also have browns and rainbows. In the Catskill Mountain area of the state there are some famous trout streams /rivers where some of the well know names in U.S. fly fishing made their reputations.
 Thankfully I've been able to avoid Covid-19 thus far.
 Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.