Author Topic: i'm new.....  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Mitch19

• IceShanty Rookie
i'm new.....
« on: Apr 07, 2020, 01:01 PM »
Hello everyone!
First post on the Shanty. I grew up ice fishing Iowa and Minnesota.  In 2003 I moved to Texas. Needless to say my ice fishing is severely limited. I go with a good buddy every other few years in Canada but I truly miss it. I want to find a lake/res within driving distance of Ft. Worth so I can take 1 trip every late winter to chase pike with tip ups. I absolutely love watching flags pop.  I have no equipment, gave it to my buddy when I moved, but I can buy more. I'm sure my wife will LOVE that idea.  For my own sanity, I want a place I drive to in about 10-13 hours.  Sleeping arrangements....well i'll have to figure that out later.  I'm trying to get a handle on the pike in your state. I had absolutely no clue you guys had fish pushing 30+ pounds.  I know they are not popular among all fisherman and to each their own.  But I enjoy the chase. 

I'd love to introduce this to my son, who is a freshman.  I feel ashamed he's never been ice fishing.  I'm really looking for lakes with potential to catch the big girls.  20 pounds plus. 

If anyone has any suggestions, i'd love to hear them.  Stay safe and healthy!

Mitch

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: i'm new.....
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2020, 01:45 PM »
Hello and Welcome
I enjoy fishing for Pike with tip ups too. I'm also a transplanted Midwesterner.  I'd consider 11 Mile State Park.  They aren't pretty challenging to catch for me but they are in there.  I drive nearly 3 hours each way to soak my Beaver Dams a couple of times every season.  Lucky to get 1 or 2 fish a year but there is also good trout fishing too.  I'd also look at Rifle Gap and Harvey Gap State Parks on the west slope.  No typical live baits allowed so dead suckers are commonly used.  Eleven Mile ices pretty early too during most years.  Gotta love hearing from another diehard!

Offline Mitch19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2020, 10:02 AM »
Hey Thanks for the reply!
Where do you live now?  I'm stuck in Ft Worth, TX.  I'm a teacher and coach so I have a few breaks in the school year I could get away to Colorado. Even if it's once a year, it's something to look forward to!  1 or 2 fish a year?  I guess if i'm going 10 hours, I want more action than that LOL

Have you tried Spinney once the ice comes off?  Sucks you can't ice fish Spinney. :(

What time of the ice season do you fish 11 Mile? Have you fished Harvey Gap?

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 10, 2020, 08:43 PM »
Hello Mitch19 welcome to the Ice Shanty Family. Since I live in south eastern New York can not give any suggestions for lakes. But here are two things you may want to do if Colorado has a Fishing Reports and Conditions forums look through it if you find reports of consistent catches of larger pike from certain lakes check to see how far they are from your location in New Mexico. In the Colorado General forum there are a few posts with videos by member Team CO.F.F.  a young couple who ice fish in the Grand Messa and other parts of the state .They might be of some help post in one of their topics/threads and see if they reply.

Steve

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jun 26, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.