Author Topic: Alpine Lake - Fail  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Aust1227

• IceShanty Rookie
Alpine Lake - Fail
« on: Mar 21, 2020, 06:40 PM »
Put on the snowshoes last weekend and started at Turquiose lake dam with my wife. We hiked 7.8 miles up to Timberline Lake. The hike and scenary were great. The pack was loaded with two camp chairs, food, drink, four poles, and the auger. Probably about 60lbs.

We ate a bit of lunch, and assembled the auger... And.... Couldn't pop through the ice. over 50" of snow/ice/slush.

Oh well, it was a hell of a day, and a hell of a workout.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Alpine Lake - Fail
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:42 PM »
Jeezis Gawd Mann!   A for effort for sure.  ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Aust1227

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2020, 07:45 PM »
We had a similar encounter at slide lake last year. But that hike was much easier, as the 10th mountain hut is just below slide.

Early last year (before snow, but after ice) I was able to get up to Pitkin Lake (just north of Vail) and had great luck with some hungry (but lethargic) cut throats.

Offline DrCro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2020, 11:59 AM »
I feel your pain, except I would never in my right mind hike that long. :p Last year though, I went up to Fall River res for one final ice fishing trip in May and there was over 4 feet of ice i couldn't drill through. Nearly died trying to hike up there with my fat ass. Nice work though, good scenery makes it all worth in the end.
Avid fishermen and lover of outdoors.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.