Author Topic: Little Buddy Heater Craps Out Again Arggggg!  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Little Buddy Heater Craps Out Again Arggggg!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 09, 2019, 07:55 AM »
My brand NEW BIG buddy quit working in its maiden voyage...

Looked like the tanks froze up when half empty?

But it was minus 23 C and minus 35 windchill...

Sounds like the heater worked just fine, it was the tank which quit.  The heater needs fuel to produce heat.  Tanks freezing up is one reason folks choose to run their heaters on a bulk tank.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Mar 10, 2019, 11:28 AM »
I am also having problems with the little buddy worked for about 5 yrs than started acting up.square buddy seam to be more dependable to light

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:51 PM »
The pilot light ignites just fine. Then when you take your finger off of the red start button it extinguishes itself. Instruction say to hold the red start button for 30 to 60 second.  I have tried holding the red start button in for 5 minutes (nice pilot flame) and the lousy thing still won’t work!!
Grouseman
If the thermocouple is bad the pilot light will not stay lite when you release the red push button no matter how long you hold that button down.   It is the thermocouple.

Offline gofishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:57 PM »
If the thermocouple is bad the pilot light will not stay lite when you release the red push button no matter how long you hold that button down.   It is the thermocouple.
Same thing will happen if the tip switch is stuck.

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Mar 10, 2019, 01:59 PM »
Glad I went with the portable buddy after reading about the little buddy problems here, I looked at the little buddy for my shack.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Mar 10, 2019, 02:19 PM »
My brand NEW BIG buddy quit working in its maiden voyage...

Looked like the tanks froze up when half empty?

But it was minus 23 C and minus 35 windchill...

My hunting buddy does that if I have it on high. I just switch to another bottle and let the frozen one thaw.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Angola Fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 10, 2019, 05:57 PM »
TRY THIS:  Turn it upside down and spank it.  Really.  I had the same problem.  Its the tip over safety device.
"I catch the fish, you cook the fish.  The only time we're together is when we eat the fish"

Offline grouseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 31, 2019, 01:11 PM »
Thinking Outside The Box

OK so I was reading an issue of Backwoodsman magazine about how to make a pop can stove and use alcohol (fondue fuel) for the source of heat. Then I looked at a couple of YouTube videos. My little flip shack is so small I need to keep opening it up so I don’t roast, the odd time the "Little Buddy" heater does work. So next year when I go out on the ice I will take the smallest tin can I can find, pour just a touch of fondue fuel in it, and see if it will put out enough heat. At least I know it will work unlike the unreliable "Little Buddy". Has anyone else any experience with this sort of simple approach??

Online meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 31, 2019, 01:37 PM »
Thinking Outside The Box

OK so I was reading an issue of Backwoodsman magazine about how to make a pop can stove and use alcohol (fondue fuel) for the source of heat. Then I looked at a couple of YouTube videos. My little flip shack is so small I need to keep opening it up so I don’t roast, the odd time the "Little Buddy" heater does work. So next year when I go out on the ice I will take the smallest tin can I can find, pour just a touch of fondue fuel in it, and see if it will put out enough heat. At least I know it will work unlike the unreliable "Little Buddy". Has anyone else any experience with this sort of simple approach??
Haven't tried it, but have seen people put charcoal in a coffee can

Online ronco

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Mar 31, 2019, 01:58 PM »
Thinking Outside The Box

I made a backpacking stove back in the 70's with a 1 lb coffee can. I cut slits on the sides so it could get air and used cans of sterno for fuel. I think there was 2 size cans, I used the smaller ones.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Sterno-Cooking-Fuel/1339364.uts?productVariantId=3062601&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03339380&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIq5_Jn4et4QIVSLnACh2_wwdCEAQYAiABEgIZBvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
The secret to fishing.....fish where the fish are.

Offline grouseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Mar 31, 2019, 02:57 PM »
Thanks Folks

I like the idea of Sterno as it would be a bit safer but need to figure out the fuel value and price difference if any between Sterno and fondue fuel (alcohol). I've attached a couple of photos. I use a tomato paste can that is only 2 1/8" in diameter.

Grouseman

Offline grouseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Mar 31, 2019, 03:17 PM »

I've attached a couple of photos. I use a tomato paste can that is only 2 1/8" in diameter.

Grouseman

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #42 on: Mar 31, 2019, 06:53 PM »
Thanks Folks

I like the idea of Sterno as it would be a bit safer but need to figure out the fuel value and price difference if any between Sterno and fondue fuel (alcohol). I've attached a couple of photos. I use a tomato paste can that is only 2 1/8" in diameter.

Grouseman

I have a personal experience with sterno years ago and damm near died from it.  If you're going to use it make sure you have lots of venting.   

Offline grouseman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Apr 01, 2019, 07:27 AM »
Good point. Did your personal experience involve carbon monoxide? Did you fall asleep? I have a vent I leave open on my flip shack. Also I flip the shack open about every 15 minutes or so.

Thanks,  Grouseman

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #44 on: Apr 01, 2019, 10:17 AM »
I gave up on mine and bought the screw in head. Unit screws into the top of a one pound
propane tank and have not had problems since.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.