Author Topic: Chained hali  (Read 3375 times)

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
Chained hali
« on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Just bought a couple of chained Hali  and was just wondering how many of you guys use them for panfish,
First time ever having a good day!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Chained hali
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:47 PM »
I love hali jigs for pain fishing. they work great.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline SGM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2011, 06:16 PM »
I love them.  Easy to switch hooks/droppers.  I use them for perch but have caught quite a few gills on them.
"I never felt bad about doing the right thing"

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:34 PM »
Can be deadly on Perch.  Drop lure down so that it's just above the pile of fish.  Set your pole on a 5 gallon bucket.  Tap middle of pole 3 to 5 second and sit back and watch the magic.

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2011, 09:01 PM »
Easily one of my top three lures through the ice.  Using them more and more in open water, too.  Tipped with anything from single spike to 3 waxies, depending on what the fish want.  I little jiggle-wiggle after it's settled from a sweew and fish usually just can't resist.  Best luck this year, too, for tight lipped fish.  Single waxie threaded on the 25, smaller hook.  Dead stick it after light jigging and it is deadly on shy biting fish.

Offline Old Man Winter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:22 PM »
I gotta get some of these. I have been using mono droppers, I guess because I'm cheap or something.

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Hali tipped with a waxie is my go to bait for Gills and Crappie. Perch hit it but prefer plastics IMO.
👮👮👮

Offline 5watchman5

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whose idea was this anyway?
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:04 AM »
I gotta get some of these. I have been using mono droppers, I guess because I'm cheap or something.
The chains aren't cheap, but the action can't beat.  Using the technique I talked about above, I've pulled more than one limit of 50 Perch in an hour or two.

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:12 PM »
I have used them for Perch and smelt with great success and several time for gills and crappie but not a touch.  I think they are one of the best perchin rigs going through the ice, but hard to find in my area.

Offline Panfish Popper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Won't, go fishing without my VEXILAR
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2011, 03:59 PM »
OK, well i appreciate the replies, and cant wait for Saturday to give them a try, I have 2 rigged up right now. 1 with just the plain silver spoon and plain hook, and a gold forage minnow instead of the OEM it came with with a weighted green/yellow hook it came with, absolutely cannot wait to try them
First time ever having a good day!

Offline webster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2011, 08:09 PM »
I love them

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2011, 10:01 PM »
Shhhhh!!!!!!   They're not very commonly used in my neck of the woods. 

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Does the chain really work better than a mono or Flouro dropper? By me you need to be as stealthy as you can to get the finicky biters? Or is this mainly used for dumb perch? I just never tried a chain type dropper seems too bulky. I guess I am mainly talking about Crappie / Bluegill. Btw I love eating dumb perch.

Offline snowman3406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Crappie and gills usually shy away from the vertical presentations of the halis.  They are great for perch, who are more apt to striking a spoon than the counterparts.  The chain is not bulky on them, and greatly helps the action.  It folds up on the jig when aggressively jigging, and will keep the spikes or waxies almost in a still position while subtle jigging them.   I don't see mono reacting the same way under those conditions.

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2011, 12:47 PM »
i love then,real great in mid winter here in N.Y. where have about about 12in of snow on the 1ft or so
of ice  where about 1 or 2 % of light gets to the water i use the one with the GLO on the hook
hope this helps
 ;D ;D ;D ;D
rat

I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:03 PM »
Crappie and gills usually shy away from the vertical presentations of the halis.  They are great for perch, who are more apt to striking a spoon than the counterparts.  The chain is not bulky on them, and greatly helps the action.  It folds up on the jig when aggressively jigging, and will keep the spikes or waxies almost in a still position while subtle jigging them.   I don't see mono reacting the same way under those conditions.
I disagree.  I've had great success with the Hali specifically for gills.  Tight lipped gills will move in on a Hali with a single spike when I can't get them to look at anything else.  I've caught a ton of crappie on them as well.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #16 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Does the chain attract them more than a mono dropper? The only thing I can think is that the chain helps keep the dropper from fowl hooking when jigging?

Offline Hooligan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:08 PM »
I don't think the chain is part of the attraction, really.  I think that it's more the idea that it's so flexible that when they inhale it, it's got next to no resistance.

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:08 PM »
halis are awesome for perch and other panfish

Offline purple otter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2011, 04:45 PM »
Definitely in my top 2 lures.Caught a pile of perch with one today, just a minnow head on it.They took it as fast as I could get it back down.I keep them just balanced on a slip bobber,they go back down the hole fast too. ;D

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2011, 07:31 PM »
Hali's do very well for perch for me

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.