Author Topic: bucktail jigs  (Read 1954 times)

Offline Epkomd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
bucktail jigs
« on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:10 PM »
just wondering what, or if they will catch anything, they seem similar to an airplane jig, but how good do they work
and which colors. i got multiple colors that i can tie w/ my vise. any advice on size/color???

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
Re: bucktail jigs
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2011, 06:32 PM »
Can you post a picture of the jig? What I think of as a bucktail jig is a killer...  :tipup:

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2011, 07:47 PM »
Depends on the target species but if youre talking togue from 1/2 oz on up. I'm going to finish some plain jigheads that I bought on sale. Going to use some classic smelt colors but I am also going to tie on some glow flashabou I think that's gonna be key.

I would be curious if anyone has good ideas for adding on a stinger hook?

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2011, 08:00 PM »

I would be curious if anyone has good ideas for adding on a stinger hook?

If it were me, I'd attach a stinger hook the same way you would if you were tying up a tandem trolling streamer 

Offline fuldraw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2011, 09:14 PM »
If it were me, I'd attach a stinger hook the same way you would if you were tying up a tandem trolling streamer 

x2

ive done this a bunch of times actually you can pick up single hook jigs in the saltwater section cheaper then the stingers sold for ice fishing and then just tie your own stinger on. oh and more colors to choose from that way too!

Offline Indie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2011, 10:18 PM »
thanks guys

Offline TheDL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2011, 06:32 PM »
i find black and white/silver is nice.
what's the best way to tie on a trailer?  I just started with that and I tie a little bit of braid onto the eyelet, run it back to the end of the bucktail/bait and tie on another treble hook - is there a better way?
Tight lines

Offline gunn308

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:41 PM »
I use white bucktail, red krystal flash or flashabou, then white bucktail, maybe red chenille next to the head like gills, like a red and white or the same color scheme as a mickey finn yellow and red. I also paint my jig heads with fingernail polish then clearcoat them.
Most of mine are single hook so if I want I can tip them with bait like the tail half of a smelt or shiner, if I put a trailer on I can't use bait.
"Oats that have already been through the horse are always cheaper than oats that haven't"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.