Author Topic: South Park Ice Update  (Read 1751 times)

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
South Park Ice Update
« on: Dec 01, 2016, 10:55 AM »
South Park Ice Up date

11-Mile -- As of 12/01/2016 I have guys up at 11-mile. Ice is about 4 to 5 Inches at Cross Creek and is caped all the way across to the far side and has reached the first bend towards Suckers Cove. The rest of the lake is open. Ice is hard and clear use ETREME CAUTION as ice conditions can change daily.
Do not go alone and have all safety gear with you, ICE PICKS , SPUD BAR , ROPE , CLEATS , FLOTATION .

Tarryall --- As of 12/01/2016 Lake is caped and ice is at about 5 inches at the inlet area thinner towards the dam. Use EXTREME CAUTION and all Safety gear. Fishing is Very good for stocker size trout with an occasional fish in the 15 too 16 inch range. No report on Pike.

If any questions call us at the shop Colorado Tackle Pro 719-634-6939

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
Re: South Park Ice Update
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:22 AM »
Thank you very much for the update, ww!!  The Mile will be a zoo this weekend...I'm heading somewhere other than south park.   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2016, 12:31 PM »
Yeah, Cross Creek will look like a Catalina party boat, elbow to elbow. Seek pleasure elsewhere.
Chris, heard any first hand reports from Skaguay yet? Offers similar yields to Tarryall but without the mine pit atmosphere. Typically freezes about the same time.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2016, 01:10 PM »
 Stinky I had a couple guys head up to Skagway on Saturday and they reported Skim Ice at the inlet and open water most of the way back. They said it was too thin to try and get on so they just fished open water with some power bait and caught a few. With the temp between then and now it is possible that it is getting closer. Skagway sits on the south sloped and therefore gets more sun this time of year and usually is about 1 too 2 week behind Tarryall. We do have an arctic freeze coming so it should seal the deal there. But other than that info I would say it is not ready yet.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2016, 02:01 PM »
Thank you very much for the update, ww!!  The Mile will be a zoo this weekend...I'm heading somewhere other than south park.   ;D

Thing is it'll only get worse- :P
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2016, 03:57 PM »
Thing is it'll only get worse- :P

Good point!  And that early ice bite seems to be the best up there...but at least waiting another week will make more ice to spread out the tent city!   ;D
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline shawn30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2016, 04:13 PM »
Thanks for the update, that was super cool.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2016, 11:33 PM »
RTD should probably set up a route to 11 Mile for the next few weeks...it'd probably the only time they could fill a bus outside of Bronco games and opening day for the Rox,  Hell I'd pay em $25 each way so I could sleep all the way down there and back but they probably couldn't take all my gear and honestly I try to avoid public transit.  I'll see ya all down there next weekend.  I'll be hanging suckers, brined hot dogs and other assorted rendering plant offerings off my Beaver Dams in hopes of finding a good Pike but I sure wouldn't pass up a good trout or two. 

Please keep those safe ice reports coming in as the week progresses.  Tight lines!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2016, 10:21 AM »
From http://www.11milesports.com/articles/fishing-report-pg206.htm :
"12.01.16; ELEVEN MILE RESERVOIR HAS ICE FORMING HERE AND THERE. NO ICE FISHING CONDITIONS EXIST AS OF THIS WRITING."

From https://www.facebook.com/ColoradoTackleProCS/ :

Like a boss.   ;D

Thanks again for the great (and accurate) updates, waterwhipper!  And thanks for your continued sponsorship of our Colorado IceShanty!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:10 PM »
Thank You it is my pleasure as I get more and more info from around the state I will post conditions and what we are doing.We will always tell people whats up with the most accurate info we have for our public waters . Now the supper secret and small bodies of water that are real fragile we won't blast all over the internet.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 02, 2016, 02:34 PM »
Thank You it is my pleasure as I get more and more info from around the state I will post conditions and what we are doing.We will always tell people whats up with the most accurate info we have for our public waters . Now the supper secret and small bodies of water that are real fragile we won't blast all over the internet.
You can tell me, old pal, about those little secret honey holes you and your crew have locked away. You know Stinky's heart is in the right place. Between us girls, there's this little place called Elevenmile that I'd like to keep secret just between us and a few tight-lipped friends. Otherwise, as you know, every third citizen of this State would be drilling a hole up there by Christmas.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2016, 08:32 AM »
It looks like next week's forecast (12/5 forward) is pretty much below freezing all week. Some wind and 1-3" snow Tuesday which won't help but barring bad luck we should get capped out and start building in some safety factor going forward. Hope the Sooners up there this weekend find some patches of safe ice.
                                                               Stinky

Offline waterwhipper

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2016, 09:11 AM »
 Stinky I just a report from Skagway . From the last bay on the west side back to the inlet has about 5 inches rest of the lake was skim ice. My reporter had a funny story from last Saturday. He got there and started walking back along the shore looking for a safe place to get on the ice and noticed that someone was camping on the far side of the lake. Thought to himself man thats going to be a long hike out with all that gear. A loud noise started coming from that side so he looked back and realized these guys took a boat over the the far side to camp. Well they were iced in. They loaded up their gear and started to use this little john boat as an ice breaker. Running forward up on the ice then jumping up and down to break through,  then backing up to do again. It took those guy 4 hrs to get the boat across the lake plowing a path as they went. Anyway the guys ice fishing did catch quite a few fish in the inlet area most just typical MRTs but they did get a big surprise , a 21 inch fat rainbow that he showed me the pics and said he released. He was alosi trying for pike with dead suckers and dead Red Sided shad. No luck on the pike but he said was a good day.

Skagway should be good to go or very close and he and his son are heading back up today. As always use Extreme caution.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2016, 10:12 AM »
That's a good quarter mile across to that little bay. Kinda far to be playing polar icebreaker. I'll be holding out for the Mile at this point. This week's ice will put my fishing grounds in play. I usually use Skaguay when I've got people in tow who just like to catch fish regardless. Also go there after the Mile has humiliated me again and I need my confidence restored. There are some nice pike in there but it's quite a hike to the shallow end and they're tough to catch with all that forage.
Thank you for the update.
                                                               Stinky

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2016, 09:44 AM »
Larry Falk reports that Elevenmile capped out Friday night . Doesn't look like there's much wind on the horizon until Tuesday so we should be golden very soon. Haven't seen reports yet from the sooners that went up yesterday. Any action? any plunges? Come on you lurkers, spit it out.
Tip of the hat to 11milesports.com.
Anybody have information on Antero? I fish that lake so seldom, I don't even know if it's been drained again.
                                                               Stinky

Offline AZbassernCO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2016, 03:50 PM »
Took my little guys out for the very first ice trip to manitou lake lake is capped fishing was slow just 1 mrt  lake was singing all day little guys had a blast and my little one found out what happens when you dont look where you are walking he ended up hip deep in a ten inch ice hole

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.