Author Topic: marmosska jigs  (Read 19799 times)

Offline Nisid

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: marmosska jigs
« Reply #30 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:58 PM »
Marmooska is the Finnish spelling of Russian word Mormyshka or Mormishka.
It was first introduced in USA by NT Ent. because they distributed some products from Scandinavian countries,
including Mormyshka rods made in Ukraine.

Basically it does not matter where it produced or imported.
color, shape, hooks, distributor may vary...

It's a style of fishing with thin line and a spring bobber.

Offline PGKris

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Iceshanty Trout King
« Reply #31 on: Mar 07, 2007, 01:13 AM »
Cool. See? NISID is awesome ;D

2007 Lake Trout Champion. Bring it on!

"I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude"
-Thoreau

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2007, 01:52 AM »
they are amazing jigs that worked well when nothing else would. total me 10 perch, jesse got 1 and danny got 2 they were using spoons and jigs that usually work but i switched to smaller bait because i wasnt getting any action and we could see them on the aqua view. tipped with a wax worm or magot and they are deadly.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:48 PM »
it's mormyska, not marmooska ;D.marmooska is american spelling.it doesn't matter what material is used to make them, silver, tungsten, lead, gold, epoxy they all are  mormyska's.

I searched "Marmooska Jig" and got many results. I searched Google for "mormyska jig", and no results at all came up.  So I tryed searching for just the word mormyska, and found only one site that had pictures of the mormayska jigs. And they don't look nothing like the Marmooska jigs. Anyone every seen or used the mormyska jigs in the picture at this link? You have to copy paste the link below. But when you paste it, take out the space between "fish it". Because the word "fish it" was censored.

http://www.fish it.com/product_info.php?products_id=80098&language=en

Anyway, I have yet to try them. But with all the great feedback about the mormyska jig. I will be getting some ASAP. Most I see are light colors, the lake I mainly fish at dark colors work better, especially black. Do they make darker colors for the mormyska jigs?

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:03 PM »
Anyone know where you can buy marmooska jigs on-line, besides e-bay? I can only find cards of 12 asst. colors. I'd like to buy smaller amounts of specific colors. Thanks for any help. :)

found this link, they have darker colors. That is what I am wanting, darker colors.

http://877icefish.safeshopper.com/152/1672.htm?165

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline JAZII

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NO FLASHER? NO FISH? NO KIDDING?
« Reply #35 on: Dec 30, 2007, 11:36 PM »
Peterson-outdoors.com sells the Marmooskas in bulk 24 of one color like $12.00. Get a few friends and split up an order of the colors you use.
JAZII

2007 1ST Perch 15 5/16"   2007 1ST Brown Trout 28 3/8"
2008 1ST BlueGill 10 7/8"
2009 2ND Perch 15"
2010 2ND Perch 16 1/8"

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 31, 2007, 01:54 PM »
try www.thornebros.com or www.fish307.com

thornebros.com sells them seperate, thats good cause I can order just what I want. But the fish307 doesn't seem to sell them anymore. I searched in the ice jig section and didn't see them anywhere.

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 31, 2007, 02:36 PM »
Peterson-outdoors.com sells the Marmooskas in bulk 24 of one color like $12.00. Get a few friends and split up an order of the colors you use.
JAZII

Wowww. Tks for this link. I was just there and tried to order 3-24 packs but the site must be having problems, the order feature would not work and I didn't see anywhere to check quanity's/colors to order. So I click "add to cart" and got the "page cannot be found" page. So I emailed them and told them I could not get the order feature to work.

Would call by phone but I don't have long distance land line service. Wish they had a 800 number.

Back to the jigs, by far the cheapest I have found. And I have looked for days. Going to order 3 24packs(72 jigs for about $40). They figures out to about 55 cents apiece, you can't beat that price anywhere.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Dec 31, 2007, 04:34 PM »
Musky8it,
You spelled it wrong.
It's Mormyshka
Here's a link (NISID's site is under construction)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormyshka
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 31, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Musky8it,
You spelled it wrong.
It's Mormyshka
Here's a link (NISID's site is under construction)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormyshka
RG

I didn't spell it wrong on purpose :o, I never heard of it until I read iceaddicts post. I search just what he had spelt in his post.

I went and searched the correct spelling this time. And found some info on it. Click the link below to read about it. I guess the words " Mormyshka or Marmooska " are not Russian words, but derived from another Russion word. And from what I seen, the Mormyshka & Marmooska are entirely different.

I copied this directly from the link below: ( Mormyshka, or Mormishka, or Marmooska are derived from Russian word Mormish - that means Freshwater Shrimp )

http://cc.msnscache.com/cache.aspx?q=72700985934939&mkt=en-US&lang=en-US&w=6a06659f&FORM=CVRE4

Back to this lure, I sure hope its cracked up to be as great as everyone says it is. Cause as soon as I can get the order form to work at Peterson-outdoors.com. I'm ordering 3 - 24 packs of them for approx $40. I figure if they aren't, then I can sell them on ebay and break even or make alittle. ;D ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jan 01, 2008, 08:28 AM »
I have these jigs in my arsenal. The knot is a bit different. After passing the line through the head of the jig, you tie a basic snell knot around the hook itself. It can be problematic with cold hands.
Here's a link to a picture of the knot.
http://mormyshka.com/images/Adams2008_16_web.pdf

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bright

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:18 AM »
being russian myself, i do have some thoughts about Marmyshka jig :) this type of fishing is quite popular in northern europen countries especially in middle winter time, when the low oxygen level situation makes it difficult to catch anything. the real pro fish it tipped with small piece of rubber or plastic, which color usually depends on body of water. setup and presentation is quite simple but may vary, depending on situation (depth and fish species). key is the line and what is called kivok (sorry dont know the proper word). the thing attached to the end of rod used for the proper jig movements and to register even subtle bites.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 24, 2008, 11:52 PM »
are you sure you guys are talking about marmooska's? cuz it sounds a lot like your describing marmish jigs not marmooskas these are the marmooskas we started out talking about

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2008, 12:23 AM »
LOVE using Marmosskas for gills and crappie in shallow water, the Marmish jigs have no lead and small trebbles.  They work well also/ www.marmish.com,  check it out they have some real nice jigs.  Just my take on it, stay on top!!
  These are the kind of Marish jigs I use and they work fairly well in shallow water!!
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline bryanr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 01, 2008, 09:51 PM »
I just got about a dozen marmooska's from Thorne Bros in various size and color. I'll be trying them out this weekend for crappie, I'll let yous guys know how they work for me.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 21, 2008, 04:48 PM »
Saw in the new 09' Ice Guide HT has new nickel and gold plated Marmooska jigs. They also have new "Zebra" colors out.

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 19, 2008, 11:19 AM »
Marmooskas are about all I use.  If they don't get bit I don't really have anything else that will.  I go down to the 14 if I'm not getting bit.  Most of the time it's a 12 and almost always it with plastics.  If the bite is really slow, maybe a size 14 with just one spike on it. 
Shut up and fish.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:38 AM »
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:27 PM »
they are brilliant for perch.

i will no longer go out without them in my box.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.