Author Topic: Floating on an iceberg  (Read 1797 times)

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Floating on an iceberg
« on: Mar 09, 2019, 03:37 PM »
Seen this and some videos on social media of guys floating on a ice berg that broke off Catawaba. Guys were jumping in the water to try and swim back. No Way! Best advise for the swimmers would of been except your fate, keep fishing and be rescued. Gear was left behind.

https://www.portclintonnewsherald.com/story/news/2019/03/09/dozens-rescued-ice-over-lake-erie/3113546002/

Offline walleye wil

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Floating on an iceberg
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2019, 04:02 PM »
yea people dont listen, they were told friday not to go out, and now they paid a pretty good price for fish that was not worth losing
all the gear they had to leave behind!!! glad they all got off safe, but not worth it in my opinion!!
lake erie can be very dangerous even when your out in a boat, i know from being fishing with my brother!! got to say when he says we gotta get offf, no questions asked, its time to get off!!!!!!!!

Offline abishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2019, 04:58 PM »
So I would imagine that all the gear left behind was labeled litter and I am sure there were fines written. Scavengers go get ya sum... LOL

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:00 PM »
Yes... i do not believe you can steal too many fishing days from those great lakes.  I was on saginaw the day before it blew apart and had plans to fish that sunday.  We canceled our last day obviously, but it still surprised me that 16” of solid locked in ice could blow a crack open a couple of miles.  Wind and ice fishing the great lakes dont mix...especialky if it has room to move like Erie did today.  It doesnt take a lot of wind to start it moving. 

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:01 PM »
I would imagine the airboat guys retrieved the gear and charge a decent fee to get it back to folks.

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:22 PM »
I would imagine the airboat guys retrieved the gear and charge a decent fee to get it back to folks.

In the video I was watching on this, I heard one of the responders mention guys that would retrieve the gear for a fee using airboats and such. Not sure how many will actually get everything back. This has happened numerous times in the past. Some of these local guys should of used better judgment. Those that went swimming, I read that some had to get medical attention for hyperthermia.   

Offline walleye wil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2019, 05:47 PM »
yes you are correct, couple older guys did have medical attention, but most was ok , just dont understand why they risk their lives for a fish!
there wil be plenty of walleyes for the spring!!! dont take a chance of your life for a fish!!!!! not worth it!!!

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2019, 09:48 PM »
Gonna be slaying em there in a few weeks couldnt wait i guess, but then again they might not own boats to get to them. Ice fishing is so addicting it makes men make bad decisions, just sayin
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2019, 11:08 PM »
Gonna be slaying em there in a few weeks couldnt wait i guess, but then again they might not own boats to get to them. Ice fishing is so addicting it makes men make bad decisions, just sayin

Best Walleye fishery and I hope you get them! I don't have a boat..."yet" hopefully one day though. Ice fishing is my drug and favorite time of year to be fishing. I still like to think that my conscience holds me back from serious endangerment but hey, people judge getting onto any ice is dangerous....maybe they're right? Maybe we're just driven to defeat the odds? Whatever it is, I hope we all go home after the day is done whether we caught fish or not, and almost every year someone doesn't get to go home. Ice fishing to me is just as dangerous as crossing the road. I'm glad these guys got to go home today! I know one thing also, I'll be thinking about getting back on the ice throughout the year while we wait til next ice season and until then... you'll be good!

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2019, 02:26 PM »
jump in and swim for shore?  wth lmao  no fish worth that unless it was made of solid gold.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2019, 02:55 PM »
Yeah, that whole swimming thing is kinda mind blowing.   I've never heard of anyone jumping off an ice sheet before!

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2019, 05:37 PM »

"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.