The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Scary Sharp Nils!!!  (Read 1151 times)

Offline Shepabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
Scary Sharp Nils!!!
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:46 PM »
Sent my 8" Nils auger head to Frank DeLuca in Minnesota last
Week. I checked the tracking and he recieved it this week on Tuesday!  My mail lady pulled into the yard today and handed it to me!!  Wicked quick turnaround!! I gave the edge a quick check and I can only describe it as insanely sharp to the point of being scary to handle!! I think it's a lot sharper than I remember it being when it was new!!  Can't wait to give it a try!!  The wife is going to N.H. tomorrow and is going to pick me up a new cover for it at Sebago Bait!!

I had a Jiffy model 30 for almost 30 years!  Great auger but I bought the Nils about 5 years ago. The lighter weight just made sense for a guy in his 60's. Now the Jiffy is still cutting holes but it's doing it for my sons!

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Scary Sharp Nils!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Glad to hear about the quick turnaround time. I getting ready to send one out to him. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the shipping? Did you use priority mail?

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:46 PM »
They are scary... actually makes me nervous putting the cover on and off. don't want to be careless that's for sure.  Sharper than new... yikes!  :o

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:46 PM »
Glad to hear about the quick turnaround time. I getting ready to send one out to him. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the shipping? Did you use priority mail?

I sent him two of them and I sent it in a Priority flat rate box for $16.85 I believe (USPS). He like Priority mail, because of where he lives.  He charges $20.00 plus return shipping.  He is the one that told me about the cold snap covers and how good they were. He is a great guy.  Look forward to seeing Shepabs wife at the shop. The covers work great and you will be very happy.  Enjoy and thank you.
http://www.sebagobait.com/
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:
Mon-Thurs 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Fri 8:00 am to 6:00 pm
Weekends starting at 5:00 am during ice fishing season (Jan 1, 2019)

THE HOME OF FREE AUGER BLADE SHARPENING

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:47 PM »
They are scary... actually makes me nervous putting the cover on and off. don't want to be careless that's for sure.  Sharper than new... yikes!  :o

Sounds like you need a cold snap cover if you don't have one. Quick, slick and much safer.
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:

Offline Grumpy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:49 PM »
Sounds like you need a cold snap cover if you don't have one. Quick, slick and much safer.

I will call the shop in the a.m. and see if u have any left. Anything would e better than the stock 'cover'

Offline JPort

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2014, 08:50 PM »
How do the ColdSnap covers compare to the black Strikemaster covers? I bought one last year and it fits the Nils really well, much better than the cheap cover that came with it.

I see that the ColdSnap covers don't have any kind of rubber pull strap.

Offline Sebago Bait

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2014, 09:05 PM »
How do the ColdSnap covers compare to the black Strikemaster covers? I bought one last year and it fits the Nils really well, much better than the cheap cover that came with it.

I see that the ColdSnap covers don't have any kind of rubber pull strap.

The strike master covers work well, but was never designed for the 8" nils. A jiffy rep saw a cold snap cover in a shop, contacted them and they began to make them for jiffy. They started making them for strike master a few years ago. The rubber band on the cover keeps it on. It is so easy to use and very safe. No need tu use your hands. Snaps on by pushing the nils in and remove using your foot to expand the cover. So much safer. I have on my nils as well. Only for 8" though. We have 4 left.
483 Roosevelt Trail
Windham, ME  04062
207-894-7141
207-894-7143 (fax)

Hours:

Offline Shepabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:41 AM »

$12 each way priority mail.

Offline Shepabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2014, 07:50 AM »
I sent him two of them and I sent it in a Priority flat rate box for $16.85 I believe (USPS). He like Priority mail, because of where he lives.  He charges $20.00 plus return shipping.  He is the one that told me about the cold snap covers and how good they were. He is a great guy.  Look forward to seeing Shepabs wife at the shop. The covers work great and you will be very happy.  Enjoy and thank you.

Hang on to one for me Sebago Bait!!! The wife is headed out the door and be at the shop in a couple hours!!

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2014, 08:11 AM »
I have a friend that lost his cover and his dog stepped on the blade. Just about cut this toes off. When they are sharp you can look at them and get cut.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.