Montana > Ice Fishing Montana

Ling questions?

(1/5) > >>

Slim Trout:
Never caught ling through the ice, wanted to try and target them this year, heard of guys using cut sucker among other things... Looking for some preferred rigs/ bait to catch them, heard the night bite can be pretty good for them too.

lingking:
sounds like you got the info you need, i use cut bait a big white glow jig with a glow plastic tail bounce it off the bottom at sun down

mtcommonwalleyeguy:
Yep, correct for the most part. I've caught them at all times of day, but sunset, dark, sunrise are when they're most active. Any greasy or stinky bait has worked for me. Cut sucker is pretty consistently solid, but I've also caught them on sandwich meat (that's just harder to keep on the hook). My biggest came on a dead minnow and a kastmaster. Glow jigs are usually the best choice though, ideally with a rattle jig nearby to bring them in, as those ling like their targets stinky and easy to find.

MT Tag Filler:
Y’all talk about stinky baits. I’ve personally used sucker meat on a 3/8 oz buck shot glow spoon. Bounce 3 x’s off the bottom, hold couple of inches off the bottom and repeat. It has worked for me in the past. I got introduced to fishing channel cats this season and I’ll tell you what, that blood dip bait is some potent stuff when I let it bake in the sun for a couple of days. It drove the catfish crazy and I couldn’t keep them off the hook this summer. Has anyone tried that potent stuff for ling?

MtPike_Master:
Chunk of sucker meat on a jig or spoon. Bounce it off bottom. You can catch them at daylight all day but sunset/night is really good. Or half a smelt of whole smelt on a quick strike rig on a tip up is good depending on the size of burbot is in the lake/river you're fishing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version