Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 536724 times)

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #30 on: Feb 14, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Hey.. Bearsfan... I see your from around Elmira.   Have you ever ice fished Bloom lake or any of the others small lakes in your area?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:21 PM »
Haven't done bloom yet, I think you would need a snowmobile for that, but been to Walsh which is at the Samuels Connoco station, just one largemouth, heard there's big perch in threre though (and largemouths). MacArthur - no good! We wanted to try out Walsh again but the snow is way to deep for walking. Wife almost killed me the last time we were there (fisrt of Janurary).

Offline castmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2008, 01:36 PM »
Well guys after the recent snap of warm weather I believe we are over the hump. Therefore I will be spending the rest of the winter/spring on the clearwater in search of steelhead. I appriciate posts you guys have gave, and have learned alot from them. Anyways I probably talk to you boys next year. Might see you out there. Good Luck and thanx.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 20, 2008, 10:12 PM »
Fished Cocolalla the last two days.  Slammed the perch tuesday.  Brought home 45 with the bigger ones 9" and nothing under 8".  Culled heavy tho.  Very busy fishing.    Today I targeted trout and it was slow.  Caught 2 with one over 15".  Good ice about 20 inches.   Should be good for a while.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 29, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Hey blueduck, every fished sunnyside bay? My landlord said his father in law was getting some of the biggest perch he's ever gotten out of the Pend. Going to try that or the condo's on Sat. Been seeing a moose hanging out in the condo's lately.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Mar 01, 2008, 08:47 AM »
I never tried Sunnyside.  Hear good things about it for years.  Let me know what happens at the condos.  Fished Round lake yesterday.  No trout and only a few perch. 

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Mar 02, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Not too good at the condo's, I think there were some bass or something under our holes cause I lost two jigs. Sunnyside had water around the edges.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:01 AM »
Any good sized bows at Round Lake, do you need a state park pass? I would love to get to Priest Lake again but feel that the ice or lack of wouldn't be worth the gas to get up there.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Mar 04, 2008, 03:23 PM »
I did pretty good on Rainbows at Round lake earlier when the ice first came on. They mostly ran from 12 to 14" but I did get one 17".  When it slowed down I moved over to Cocolalla and got some nice trout too.  The averaged an inch or two bigger than round lake.  The last few times I went out it was slow all over.  Yes you do need a sticker or day pass at Round lake, and they check it pretty close. 

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Mar 07, 2008, 09:14 AM »
Two nice Perch, 5 small Bass and a bunch of small Sunny's at Walsh. Plenty of ice and easy walking.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Mar 07, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Fished Round lake today and yesterday.  1 trout each day and a fair mess of perch.  Ice is still good.  Fishing has slowed down.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Mar 08, 2008, 12:27 PM »
Boy I hear that, fished Cocollala Friday, brought home 3 perch and a 16" trout. Caught a lot of tiny perch. There were two guys kindof near us and they showed fish and game what they got and they had a whole bunch of big something-or-others. I was going to go over there and find out what they were and they were already leaving. I'm not done yet, ice fishing is just too darn fun.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Mar 08, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Hey Bearsfan,  wheres Walsh lake?

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Mar 09, 2008, 08:35 PM »
It's on the west side of 95 in Samuels (right in back of the Conoco station). It's about 15 minutes north of Sandpoint. From what I hear it has some big fish, they are finicky though. I'm guessing there is a lot of available food in there so it's making it tough fishing. I don't know. One of the perch I got the other day had 2 big stonefly nymphs in her belly. If you ever want to try it out let me know and we'll go.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:15 PM »
Weather is looking pretty grim. Not much time left. :'( >:( :(

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:36 AM »
yep....  its about over.  Im charging up battreys and getting the boats ready.   

Offline riske

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Mar 17, 2008, 04:07 PM »
It is over for me.  I tried Cocalla on saturday and fell through the ice as I went off the dock.  I do not recomend there.   Had a nice drive back to home in my skivies.  I made it 3 steps out from the doc and it was all over.  Hayden had about 16 inches a week ago but I doubt its any stronger.  I wouldnt recomend it .

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2008, 08:59 PM »
Good bye til next year. Let's get a Team Idaho going! We Will Win!

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 26, 2008, 06:04 PM »
Starting to look a little better up here with the cold temps. :tipup:

Offline Somers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 31, 2008, 02:07 PM »
Hi all,

Looking for some open water info on Pend Oreille.  I posted on My Fish Finder, but it doesn't look to get nearly the activity as the shanty.  Will be travelling to Sand Point from NY for a family reunion in late August and was hoping for some local fishing input.  First time to ID, but we'll have a boat and trout/salmon equipment courtesy of my Uncle trailering his rig from WY.  He fishes Flaming Gorge reservoir a lot and we're hoping to apply some of the same techniques as we've used there.  Any info as far as baits, tactics, websites, forums, etc. would be gratly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Ed 

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Well the cold weather was a blessing in a way, Walsh (in Samuels)is fishable,I'll be there wednesday, and Pend Oriele in the bays is good but the corps of engineers has dropped the lake quite a bit so that's going to change a few spots this year. I would imagine Cocallala would be getting a nice layer on it, drove there Sunday and it was totally open. Be careful everyone. I'll give more reports later.

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 16, 2008, 02:55 PM »
If anyone hears of anything about Preist Lake please post something, I'm getting Mack fever.

Offline castmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 16, 2008, 11:24 PM »
Keep us posted on how Cocallala is doing.

Some news from the south, Moose Creek is solid and I imagine Spring Valley is getting there too.

Go Go Cold Weather!

Offline fatherbohab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 19, 2008, 04:59 PM »
Hey anyone been or know about the ice on gamlin lake this year. I got the jumbo fever...
an angry man catches no fish.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 20, 2008, 04:50 AM »
Checked Cocolalla and Round lake Friday.   About 2 inches of ice and 12 inches of snow on Cocolalla and about 3 inches of ice and 16" of snow on Round.  I think all this snow fall is slowing things down but its getting there.....

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Dec 24, 2008, 05:56 AM »
Checked Cocolalla yesterday (tues.) and there was about 5 inches of ice under about 6 inches of packed wet snow.  Round had a guy and his kid fishing and he said there was a foot of ice.  (I doubt that) but they were on it and  fishing.  It had about 6 inches of slushy snow on it too.   The kind where you better have waterproof boots and a piece of plywood to stand on.   How can it be that sloppy when it hasent been over 15 degrees for ten days?   Anyway it looks like some of the local lakes should be ready any day now.....

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #56 on: Dec 24, 2008, 12:19 PM »
Thanks for the info BlueDuck. Was in town Tues., went down Third St. (good parking for access out by the Condos). There were no tracks or trails leading out onto the ice. The Big Lake frozen almost to the South side. With the Lake down to 2051.10 ft. ele., a big hike is in store to get out to fishable depth of 2 ft. Down Sunnyside way, no tracks yet. Heard thru the grapevine, that on the 10th, there was 5 1/2" of ice in several places in The Big Lake.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 25, 2008, 07:19 AM »
Idahogator...  Your talking Sandpoint right?   Between the condos and the long bridge.    If that gets safe ice Ill be there.  Always had good luck there.  That usually holds the biggest perch around this area. 

Offline Glacierbut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Dec 25, 2008, 09:26 AM »
Newbie here. Grew up in N Idaho, been in Alaska for 12 years and just moved back.  Can't wait to try my gloved hand at ice fishing.  My son is getting an ice fishing pole from Santa this morning.
We live about 5 minutes from Twin Lakes. Once ice is ready on Twin and Spirit, hope you pros can pass along some knowledge on where to fish and what to use. 
Great forum!

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 25, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Glacierbut ... Lower twin should be getting close to safe.  Its usually  one of the first lakes to have safe ice.  Lots of people fish for perch streight out from the new boat ramp about a hundred yards.  The perch there are usually pretty small.   Lower Twin has good blueback and perch fishing streight out from that boat ramp, but is a lot deeper and freezes slower and I doubt it ready.  Just need to check them out.  Good luck and make sure the ice is safe.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.