Author Topic: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`  (Read 99119 times)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`
« on: Sep 19, 2009, 08:05 AM »
Had a field day on the goldens earlier this summer-pulling dozens whenever I threw my traps in. Now things have slowed to a crawl, I`ve got a dozen lil ones and about 2 dozen mediums in the tank. . Been catchin so many lil ones , I`ve been letting em go.  I have been concentrating on finding new places, my wife says those minnows ain`t free, ya burnt $50 gas lookin 4 em!
Not much luck there, plenty of fathead minnows or bridle shiners,not sure  ,either of which ya can`t use in NH. I have a bunch of creekchubs in the 6"-12" range for pike/lunkah bait. All caught rodnreel in the stream/river on my property.
I have a 4 acre pond on the property also, which is strange , in that I am striking out trappin in it, even thou I have seen large schools of shiners working the surface late afternoons, early evening. d**n commorant has no problem catchin em, seen em eat a few biggies around 7-8". His days are numbered.   Pond drops off rapidly into 40 FOW with a sand bottom. 6 feet off the shore it`s 8ft deep. Dangerous place for dogs /kids. Close to impossible to get out ifya fall in. Sand just keeps giving way. Hardly any weeds, no pads ,reeds, cattails etc, just sum bottom growth of tangleweeds about a foot off the bottom. I have thrown multiple traps out at multiple depths, breaded/chum areas, even floated a trap 6 feet down . Still nuttin.  I hope to drop traps thru the ice and restock the bait tank mid/late season. Any tips/ideas on how to extract these bits of silver n gold would be greatly appreciated! TY ROTT

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Minnow Trapping/Bait Catchin`
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2009, 01:07 PM »
Yesterday my wife and I took a walk down the pond and saw huge schools of minnows/shiners running back and forth along the shoreline. I threw two traps in and let em sit till this morning when I went out to check 3 other traps I had out in a neighboring town. I stopped at our pond and could still see the minnows cruising the shoreline, many too small for use as bait. But there were sum bigger ones cruising with them. I pulled one trap and was happy to find a dozen medium shiners .The second was empty ,even thou it was only 10 or 12 feet from the first. Perhaps when they run the shoreline at this time of the year , they are easier to catch. Lets hope the luck continues . Went off to check the other 3 traps- Two were empty, cept a lone monster crayfish. The last one had a 2foot eel , which was eating everything else in the trap, some crayfish , buncha bullfrogtadpoles and a big 7" golden shiner which the eel had killed and was starting to eat. I rebaited and threw 2 traps in this pond , hoping for a buncha big goldens! Seems like the bullfrog tadpoles and giant goldens go hand in hand. I am also noticing that I am catching more predators that follow the bait into the trap for a easy meal. Eels, and pickeral mostly. Could be the onset of cooler weather! Yahooo!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Had a field day on the goldens earlier this summer-pulling dozens whenever I threw my traps in. Now things have slowed to a crawl, I`ve got 5 dozen lil ones and about 4 dozen mediums in the tank. Dats all so far. Been catchin so many lil ones , I`ve been letting em go. I think I may have beat up my goldie spots and done sum damage? I have left these couple spots alone and will hit em again just b4 ice . I have been concentrating on finding new places, my wife says those minnows ain`t free, ya burnt $50 gas lookin 4 em!Not much luck there, plenty of fathead minnows , which ya can`t use in NH. I have about 50 creekchubs in the 6"-12" range for pike/lunkah bait. All caught rodnreel in the stream/river on my property.
I have a 4 acre pond on the property also, which is strange , in that I am striking out trappin in it, even thou I have seen large schools of shiners working the surface late afternoons, early evening. d**n commorant has no problem catchin em, seen em eat a few biggies around 7-8". His days are numbered.  Pond  is in a SandPit which has been closed for years. Pond drops off rapidly into 40 FOW with a sand bottom. 6 feet off the shore it`s 8ft deep. Dangerous place for dogs /kids. Close to impossible to get out ifya fall in. Sand just keeps giving way. Hardly any weeds, no pads ,reeds, cattails etc, just sum bottom growth of tangleweeds about a foot off the bottom. I have thrown multiple traps out at multiple depths, breaded/chum areas, even floated a trap 6 feet down . Still nuttin. I netted a bunch of em one day when they cruised too close to the shore, but they pretty much act like open water schoolin fish and stay away from the shoreline. I hope to drop traps thru the ice and restock the bait tank mid/late season. Any tips/ideas on how to extract these bits of silver n gold would be greatly appreciated! TY ROTT
PS: How is everyone else doing , filling the baittanks/trappin??

Yeah, nothing is ever truly free, Alway's a price, But I can think of much worse ways to spend it..

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2009, 07:25 PM »
took the guppies and mama pesce down to the crick loaded with chubs and suckerz :o set 5 traps while we seined it took a few minutes for the cryin to start :'( no not me well later lol ater 30 minutes all the guppies were cryin im wet the rocks are slippery the algae stinks i want to squeeze the minnows :o will the crab bite me etc etc etc :-[ i tend to ignore them i mean compartmentalize  ::) all in all we caught alot my problem tub still to warm to support large qty of fish will a fan cool down the water more rapidly or is it the ambient temps that matter    mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2009, 07:36 PM »
 Try freezing gallon jugs and tossing em in like 5 times a day? Chubs keep well even in warm (60-70 degree)water.   Let us know how the traps do! Are they sucka traps? I have no idea where to trap suckers or I would. I`m always looking for new places , but so far the only ones producing are on my property! Small to medium shiners and creekchubs. If yer trappin up suckas ,could you post a pic of yer trap. Maybe next offseason I`ll take up sucka chasin. I have too many projects going this offseason and hardwater is gettin closer. I built 5 longer rods for walkin and jiggin outta the shack, made a buncha pannie glo-jigs, relined all of my HT Predator traps, made up 12 leaders, 4 feet of Trilene XT 10lb test with a 2 foot leader of PowerPro Green 20lb snelled to a 2/0 Gamkatsu Octopus hook and countless other menial tasks , trying to bide my time till it`s magic time again and we can walk on water.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 21, 2009, 10:05 AM »
i use a standard minnow trap. bait trap with a can o cat food with small hole poked in it i trap a small run off crick with the maximun legal opening in the trap 1" i wade creek to find deep holes 1 to 2 feet :o you can see them so you can rule out unproductive holes i set traps like a fur trapper then seine rest of crick for an hour go back and lift traps out one trick i seine the hole the traps are in before pickin them up go back next day and do it again  thankx for the ice tip will do it mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 21, 2009, 10:53 AM »
Here are some pictures of my 'guppies' and my bait-catching program:

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Here's a picture of the 'guppies' and my bait-catching program, volume two :)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Do you catch chubs with the catfood or suckas? I use drydawg food in mesh bags in my traps for minnows. I have been unable to get the chubs in the stream/river next to the house to go in a trap, me and my boys have been catchin em rod n reel with a berkely maggot on our ice rods.
I mostly trap ponds, ifya try to seine em ya would disappear and never be heard from again! I`ll have to try seining the stream/river for suckas, I havent seen anything but creekchubs in the stream yet thou. Should I try the catfood can thing in the stream? I struck out with the dogfood. Thanx for the pics ,looks like ya gutta couple of good helpers there! I can`t get my 2 boys to help with anything , but they are 17-19 now <so it`s typical!

Here are a few pics of the tank/bait so far:

Baitshack:

TopTank-CreekChubs:

BottomTank-Goldens and Common Shiners:

BaitTanks:

Trap on Brutha...Trap on....

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:27 AM »
I have a lot of helpers, mama pesce (my wife), who is on the forum, a member of shanty.  Mofish Jr, who is a member of ice shanty, my son, who is 30.  My four daughters, (two stepdaughters, two daughters) and a son.  It takes a lot of bait to get this crew going fishing, that's why it necessitated having the 300 gallon tank, which because I'm a commercial truck driver, I was able to obtain it for free.  (don't cry, I wish I could get you one two!) The run-off creeks that I usually trap contain chubs, suckers, zace, horned dace, szulpins. Wish I could trap the ponds around our house!  As of this date, I've never caught anything in a trap in a lake, most of the time your traps will get stolen, we're in metro-Pittsburgh with approximately 2 million beady eyes looking at your traps.  Most of the time I trap while watching them.  Had numerous traps stolen when left overnite.  Was truly amazed to find out that I could get the most minnows in the first hour, leaving them overnite, (they are smart, I watched them go in and out of the trap), you usually end up with a trap full of giant bait because they can't get back out.  Yes, the cat food does work for every species, but you could have phenomenal luck using cheese, the only problem, it soils the water a ton.  that's why I use the the cat food, just for scent, so I don't soil my water. Where do you live? It could determine the species of bait available to you.
MO

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2009, 09:40 AM »
  Was truly amazed to find out that I could get the most minnows in the first hour, leaving them overnite, (they are smart, I watched them go in and out of the trap), you usually end up with a trap full of giant bait because they can't get back out.  Yes, the cat food does work for every species, but you could have phenomenal luck using cheese, the only problem, it soils the water a ton.  that's why I use the the cat food, just for scent, so I don't soil my water. Where do you live? It could determine the species of bait available to you.
MO

Mo , I live in southeastern NH.  I had always thought that many minnows would swim into trap, eat bait , and then swim out. Plenty of empty mesh bags (i put the dawgfood in em) to support that theory. I am mostly looking for large and xtra large bait. Sum of the rodnreel caught creekchubs I have in the tank approach 11-12". I have been lucky ,in that I have lost no traps to punks/thieves yet.  I struck out when I checked my traps in neighboring town today , so I snatched em up and beat feet for home. I tossed em in my pond , where I can keep an eye on em till I move em to thier weekend spots. Got a few questions about the seining process. Do you leave the seine in one place , and then make a ruckus upstream while heading downstream towards the net?
I`m gonna try it in the river/stream and see if there are suckers! A simple explanation would be cool. TY ROTT

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2009, 10:22 AM »
i would trap anywhere where the water is slack,out of the current,suckers are bottom feeders so you need to be there.as to seining yes both ways work i walk till i find a riffle or pinch point hold seine till the minnows run back down strean into seine lift and dump also the drivin them to you works need 2 people,does pond have a creek flowin in it thats a good spot plus up stream in any deep holes.also your area is prime for chubs find a cool feeeder crick hot spot   good luck    mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 22, 2009, 06:54 PM »
I`ll give it a shot, the seining, and yer right , plenty of chubs rite next to the house about 30 yards! Hoping there are suckers in there too. My pond is starting to produce abit. Nice healthy common shiners, pond is real clean.
Today`s haul -not alot but nice healthy critters ,after all it`s walkin distance from the front door!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2009, 01:06 PM »
that is some nice bait closer to home the better       mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Yup ,right out the front door! My 2 golden Shiner spots are 30 minutes one way! Caught this 6" Shiner in the pond and these 2 creekchubs with rodnreel while I moved a trap over to the river today. Tossed a can o catfood in there , per yer instructions. Come on suckas!

Shiner:

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2009, 10:18 AM »
the shad and river shiners are thick in the big river now has anyone caught these and kept them alive in a bait tank could use the umbrella seine to trap them thankx   mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Sep 24, 2009, 11:09 AM »
the shad and river shiners are thick in the big river now has anyone caught these and kept them alive in a bait tank could use the umbrella seine to trap them thankx   mo
Shad are fragile baitfish, hard to keep in the bait tank. Most guides who use em for softwater bait, net up what they need for the day and release the rest. River shiners , I assume , would be a better target for your efforts, as they should keep in the tank better.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 26, 2009, 11:35 AM »
I think I may have started trappin up too early! I started loosing about 6 a day of the shiners , mostly smalls and small/med. They are getting face rot and tail rot. I figured ammonia was high due to the large number of em in the two tanks. Tanks are a 35 and a 55gal, I figure I got about 70 gallons of fishwater. I have been using FinerShiner(betterbait) with my water changes and I just started adding salt to the tanks. Went to Hannaford lookin for "ice cream salt" and the produce guy handed me a bag of ice melt? Can you use this? I didn`t get it , instead I bought mortons pickling and canning salt and then went to pet store and bought a box of Aquarium salt.
I added the mortons to the water, probably 5-8 tablespoons and then I added the same amount of the Aquarium salt(which is like rock salt in appearance) to the filter. Did I make a mistake adding the mortons picklin n cannin salt? If ya have any other suggestions. I will tell ya , it`s not an aeration problem, I have 14" airstones in each tank and a 550gph pond pump pumpin thru a spraybar feeding the top tank(creekchubs). I am going to do water changes twice weekly for abit and see if that helps. Just changed out 20 gallons yesterday but still am loosing fish. I think maybe the damage/sick fish are goners and are going to die regardless. Your thoughts?  TY Rottie
 *I made this post previously as a PM to a member who thought I should post it here, for more help.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 26, 2009, 11:50 AM »
das is no gude das morton salt is more like mortal salt its sodium chloride a chemical concoction,the ice cream salt could be natural like the dead sea salt it is actually used for fertilizer in ISRAEL try puttin mortons on your tomatoe plants i was alarmed on how warm the water was a breeding explosion for fungus which is running rampant through the u.s. i bought beneficial bacteria to add to my tank also minnows rubbin together wears off their protective layer the colder the water the less fungus there is although in nature once you get above 98.6 degrees it actually kills bacteria thats why a fever is necessary for us to rid ourselves of intoxication jayswimmer had the same thing happen last year sorry to say the outcome hope you can get it under control    mooooo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Crap, the death toll climbs ,but is slowing, hopfully I can beat it with daily water changes for awhile!
I got a Bobcat that`s comes and cleans up the dead fish pile. I`m sure she`ll clean up the crappie husks this winter eagerly too! Gonna get a trail cam and see if I can get sum pics. Seen her twice now, big cat!

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2009, 01:59 PM »
I have a similar post up about catching bait.  I was thinking it may be a bit too early to trap bait as ice is a few months away and keeping them alive might be a chore.  I don't want to catch them only to have them die eventually over time.  Any suggestions on keeping them alive?  I'd be putting them in my field stone cellar and it stays mighty cool down there even on the hottest days.  I would guess that you should keep it well aerated, cool and do regular water changes of about 1/3 the water column.  Do you guys just use tap water treated to dechlorinate the water or are you changing the water with buckets of river/pond water?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2009, 02:21 PM »
I have a similar post up about catching bait.  I was thinking it may be a bit too early to trap bait as ice is a few months away and keeping them alive might be a chore.  I don't want to catch them only to have them die eventually over time.  Any suggestions on keeping them alive?  I'd be putting them in my field stone cellar and it stays mighty cool down there even on the hottest days.  I would guess that you should keep it well aerated, cool and do regular water changes of about 1/3 the water column.  Do you guys just use tap water treated to dechlorinate the water or are you changing the water with buckets of river/pond water?
I have well water-which is usually low in dissolved oxygen , but twin 14inch airstones with their own pumps and a 550gph pump runnin thru a spraybar  take care of that- use water treatments, like FinerShiner or BetterBait and frequent water changes.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2009, 03:51 PM »
Das....I saw your post concerning losing bait in your tank.  As I read some other posts it made me think of when I had a tropical fish tank some time ago.  Do you have gravel (store bought) in the bottom of your tank?  It might promote some algae growth there and help the tank in keeping the fish alive better.  I know that when my system got out of whack...I'd lose tropical fish.  Perhaps your system needs something to make it more environmentally friendly for the fish?  Also I read where it might be beneficial to put some structure in the tank for the fish to hide behind so not to always be swimming?  Just some thoughts?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2009, 06:30 PM »
i use areated well water but you can use treated tap water yes its too early but you can get them easier now when it gets cold you need to find the deep holes plus it rains more later in the fall see all the past posts    mo

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 27, 2009, 10:21 PM »
Crap, the death toll climbs ,but is slowing, hopfully I can beat it with daily water changes for awhile!
I got a Bobcat that`s comes and cleans up the dead fish pile. I`m sure she`ll clean up the crappie husks this winter eagerly too! Gonna get a trail cam and see if I can get sum pics. Seen her twice now, big cat!
my tank went sour dont know if power went out or if it warmed up it was in the 80s here my pump generates heat great in the winter since my garage is unheated oh well have to start over good fertilizer for the garden will know better next time haste makes waste    mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 28, 2009, 07:09 AM »
What kinda pump MO? An exterior mounted or a submersible? My tanks temps are ranging from 60degrees to 50 degrees or so at nite. I don`t sneak out and check my lil buddies in the middle of the nite , but it is around 50 degrees when I get out there about 7-8 am. Temps did go up with the warm outside temps but only to 60 degrees. I think my problem is /was adding the Mortons Pickling/ canning salt and getting lazy on the water changes-230 sumodd fish pee alot! Things were coming around, gutta do anutha water change today and see. I haven`t even been out today, fingers crossed.I`m gonna boot up and run out now! ..............
  I`m back,57 degrees and only 5 fatalities. I think I may have it beat. Now just gutta replace  the deads and keep on the water changes daily for few more days . NO MORE MORTONS! Aquarium salt only! Freeze the dead big ones MO -pike don`t care! I gave a 12 chub to the Bobcat which I probaly shoulda froze for pike! I like having her around, she`ll be eating fish all winter!(HOPEFULLY-NOT THE ONES IN THE BAITTANK!)

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Sep 28, 2009, 01:37 PM »
its a submersabile 500gph attached to a prefilter then to a post filter that runs it on top. intake bottom outflow top plus 5 pumps with air stones its like the tub turned over in 1 day.water is warmed by pump and parked car plus fridge and freezer garage stays plenty warm          mo

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 28, 2009, 04:03 PM »
its a submersabile 500gph attached to a prefilter then to a post filter that runs it on top. intake bottom outflow top plus 5 pumps with air stones its like the tub turned over in 1 day.water is warmed by pump and parked car plus fridge and freezer garage stays plenty warm          mo
Probably too warm right now. My shed is under a large group of trees and only sees the sun for a few hours and not directly on the roof. Temps climbed as high as 63 this afternoon but are on thier way down now. Grab a thermometer and check yer tank temp. It`s gutta be a lack of 02 or high temps, that size tank probably doesn`t have many ammonia problems. Mainehazemt, told me to grab sum pond tests strips and I just might do that, to head off any problems in the future. Lost a couple of baitfish today , changed out 20 gallons. I have the two 14"fizzbars ,each with its own pump, plus the 550gph pump in bottom tank feeds the top tank thru a spraybar. Remember I have 70 gallons of fishwater-you have 275 or so.Thing blasts. I think the chubs like it. Lotsa aeration.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 28, 2009, 06:54 PM »
What are you guys using for holding tanks for your bait?  I'm not sure what to use?  I know that in the winter I can hold like 3 dozen shiners in my small ~2gallon styrofoam bait bucket.  They last for weeks in just that!  Now If I went to a 35 gallon storage tote they sell at Wal-Mart, I'd imagine they'd last a lot longer.  In the winter I go down to the local brook and take ~4 5 gallon buckets and fill them with water and just keep them to the side to change the water for the bait.  I don't even change the water for atleast a week or more too.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 28, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Oh yeah...before I forget....do you guys use pond water for your water changes or just tap water and treat it like you do a tropical fish tank to remove the chloramine and chlorine.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.