Author Topic: Flame King 1lb refillabe  (Read 10382 times)

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Flame King 1lb refillabe
« Reply #30 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:42 AM »
For the folks running the Flame King refillable tanks ..any tips ? Should both the 20lb tank and the Flame King tank be the same temperature ? Will there be any issues filling the tanks in the bitter cold ?     
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #31 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:43 AM »
I use 1 1lb can per outing.i have 5 and always have a full 20 on hand to refill those.i have a 11lb pancake tank with a sunflower head on it.it has a outdated valve and need recertification so i refill that off my 20lb.need to get over to Hopkins propane and have a new valve and recert done.i have different heaters and switch it up.my new fav is the coleman focus 5.way better than the finicky buddy heater.and i still use the old school coleman white gas heaters too.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #32 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:47 AM »
For the folks running the Flame King refillable tanks ..any tips ? Should both the 20lb tank and the Flame King tank be the same temperature ? Will there be any issues filling the tanks in the bitter cold ?   
thats another perk of the fk.doesnt matter if bottles are warm or cold.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #33 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:52 AM »
 Hey doc  I to run a killer focus 5 lol for a few decades ,

Hard Water I fill off my 20 to my flame king 1#ers both cold they fill right up no problem

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:57 AM »

Hey doc  I to run a killer focus 5 lol for a few decades ,

Hard Water I fill off my 20 to my flame king 1#ers both cold they fill right up no problem

Thanks fellas
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:29 AM »
Yeah i just got a few more focus 5s at garage sales,runs longer and doesnt turn off when wiggled.i also picked up a focus 10.more btu has a igniter and tip over switch.cant beat 5$ garage sale heaters.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:52 AM »

Good for you , they will light when wet

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:44 AM »
Just to add to guys just getting these, I bought some brass caps to help protect the threads of my Flame King cans.  The plastic caps that they come with didn't instill much confidence for me.  For $1.50/ea, they seemed like a good buy.  There's a few different brands out there on Amazon, they're probably all the same:

https://www.amazon.com/BISupply-Propane-Refill-Bottle-Caps/dp/B08L8C227K/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=propane+brass+caps&qid=1638366078&sr=8-6

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:19 AM »
 I use the caps off the old Coleman green ones when the flame king ones crap out

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 01, 2021, 10:10 AM »
Now on year 4 for my Flame King tanks.  I have 4 and I rotate them continuously.  4 is plenty for most every trip.  If I do an overnighter or extended trip then I drag the 20lber out.  I use roughly 2 20lb tanks per season so each 1lber gets refilled about 25 times a year.   So yeah now at about 40 refills total with each tank and they look and perform like new. 

If anyone is thinking about it, I'd jump on that Runnings deal posted above.  You simply can't find them anywhere.  You will need the adapter too though. 

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Dec 01, 2021, 10:18 AM »
Now on year 4 for my Flame King tanks.  I have 4 and I rotate them continuously.  4 is plenty for most every trip.  If I do an overnighter or extended trip then I drag the 20lber out.  I use roughly 2 20lb tanks per season so each 1lber gets refilled about 25 times a year.   So yeah now at about 40 refills total with each tank and they look and perform like new. 

If anyone is thinking about it, I'd jump on that Runnings deal posted above.  You simply can't find them anywhere.  You will need the adapter too though.

https://www.runnings.com/flameking-refill-kit-86380016.html

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 01, 2021, 12:12 PM »

I never did have much luck chilling the green bombs to get them full.

If you want to get the green bombs full and they are room temp. Just fill them full at room temp…..which gets them to about 80% full. Unscrew the tank. Push down on the main valve to let off some pressure for about 5sec. Screw back on and finish filling. Then you’ll get them 100% full.

Basicly does the same thing using the Allen wrench to open the valve on the flame king refillable tanks.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #42 on: Dec 01, 2021, 12:36 PM »
Well thanks for the link for the refillable 1# tanks got four of them.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 01, 2021, 01:35 PM »
Runnings is going to be so confused about why they received so many orders for these tanks today  ;D

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 01, 2021, 02:19 PM »
Yeah Thanks!
Funny thing is after watching days worth of YouTube videos about these Chinese diesel heaters for my wheelhouse the price for 4 tanks and refill kit is about the same ???
Yeah I got both coming and it's 70 degrees today Dec 1  @)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 01, 2021, 02:23 PM »
Bought 4, going to attempt to go back to the buddy heater this year.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2021, 02:45 PM »
I stocked up at Home Depot back in September. Glad I did...they were the only ones that had any...3 days later, they didn't.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Bought 4, going to attempt to go back to the buddy heater this year.

I went away from the buddy heater after a bad unit and a lot of issues. Buddy got one and worked great for him. The only issue is keeping wind off the pilot flame…and it’s good.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #48 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04:46 PM »
I went away from the buddy heater after a bad unit and a lot of issues. Buddy got one and worked great for him. The only issue is keeping wind off the pilot flame…and it’s good.

You have wind inside yer shack?  ???

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Dec 01, 2021, 04:49 PM »

You get those buddies damp and they don’t light

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 01, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Its surprising how finicky some of the buddy heaters can be. I've used a sunflower style heater the last few years cuz you can more or less force them to run. Got the big buddy heater to try this year.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #51 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:00 PM »
I despise my buddy heaters.they never light when i need them.goes for the little buddy and the portable buddy.my coleman focus 5 will light face down in the snow.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #52 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:03 PM »
Its surprising how finicky some of the buddy heaters can be. I've used a sunflower style heater the last few years cuz you can more or less force them to run. Got the big buddy heater to try this year.

Yup. Those Mr. Heater sunflowers are bulletproof.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #53 on: Dec 01, 2021, 06:12 PM »
I have three that are over 15 yo, and all I've ever done every year is blow out the ceramic heat pad, clean the gas tube with alcohol, and use a piece of VF emery paper to clean tip of the thermocouple, and they take off right away. One has been used so much it's black all blackened and rusty...but off she goes! That one doesn't have the tip switch, which I prefer, so I can move it around in the garage. I musta got good ones. Starting to wonder if they're ever gonna wear out!   ;D

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:10 PM »
If you’ve ever seen a sunflower turn into a giant blowtorch you’ll never touch one again. It happened to friend and I years ago in a little 6x8 house.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #55 on: Dec 01, 2021, 07:21 PM »
If you’ve ever seen a sunflower turn into a giant blowtorch you’ll never touch one again. It happened to friend and I years ago in a little 6x8 house.

Boy, I'll second that one....I have.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 01, 2021, 08:58 PM »
We must be old Rebs😊. These youngsters just haven’t lived. Scares the bejesus out you doesn’t it?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 01, 2021, 10:18 PM »
I have three that are over 15 yo, and all I've ever done every year is blow out the ceramic heat pad, clean the gas tube with alcohol, and use a piece of VF emery paper to clean tip of the thermocouple, and they take off right away. One has been used so much it's black all blackened and rusty...but off she goes! That one doesn't have the tip switch, which I prefer, so I can move it around in the garage. I musta got good ones. Starting to wonder if they're ever gonna wear out!   ;D

Have one. Yes they last….yrs they rust…and yes they get hot and burn the crap out of anything.

When my kids started going….I switch back to the buddy heaters…..I figured it was less expensive.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 01, 2021, 10:24 PM »
You have wind inside yer shack?  ???

Yes when on glare ice, with the rear of the shack to the wind and heater front center….the wind will get under the flaps and get to the heater.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #59 on: Dec 02, 2021, 07:02 AM »
We must be old Rebs😊. These youngsters just haven’t lived. Scares the bejesus out you doesn’t it?

Danged right! (on both counts) When they go *WHOOOOSH*, had the same feeling in my pants... :pinch:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.