The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Weight for large baits  (Read 342 times)

Offline Fallon

• IceShanty Rookie
Weight for large baits
« on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:10 PM »
Wondering what other guys are using to weigh down large baits like 8”- 10” chubs for musky on tip ups?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Weight for large baits
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2019, 05:53 PM »
i use the largest split shot they sell i think 00.i want my bait to stay where i set it, usually within a foot or two of the bottom.there are tips to setting your tip ups spool to add tension as to keep bait from setting off false flags.my new 40ups you can screw in spool screw to tighten up spools,and if you think the fish cant pull out line an old timer muskie hunter told us THE FISH I CATCH CAN PULL OFF LINe NO LOL
GOD BLESS
MO
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Fallon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:13 PM »
Just one of them or do you put on a couple?
Thanks

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:34 PM »
Bait that large will get a small rubbercore. If'n it's dead, a 16p nail down the throat or up the vent is usually enough to sink it.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:37 PM »
just one now have used 2 in the past but ive downsized to using fat heads for bait.the logic is mo action,a lil perch,or crappie will eat a fat head but a big peach pussed chub is un likely.plus they are cheaper and more hardy than shinerz.when using suckerz they dig for the bottom anyhow, its shiners that swim up to surface.
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2019, 06:43 PM »
just another thought how do weigh down a 5 lb carp you got on for bait? :o think its absurb a 45" musky can swallow a plastic one gallon milk jug just saying!
GOD BLESS
mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.