New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS  (Read 1027125 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS
« Reply #3210 on: Mar 20, 2019, 10:22 AM »
I don't thump  the perch before I  rip his eye out either ...I believe   when they  cry it draws   in more perch coming to help him

FrankM

« Reply #3211 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:16 AM »
I don't thump  the perch before I  rip his eye out either ...I believe   when they  cry it draws   in more perch coming to help him
That is the wisest thing I have heard all day. You are a true genius.
Keep these great tidbits coming.
When our generation dies out all this wisdom will be lost unless we get it posted in cyberspace.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3212 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:26 AM »
Nice job on all those perch elrod and everyone posting.
I was up at my camper in Mexico for 2 days and got some decent perch on Oneida yesterday. No big schools, just onesy's and twosy's.
enough for a few meals.

If anyone is interested, also fished the Salmon River and had some decent steelhead action.....they are still not fighting that great, a little sluggish due to the cold water , but still fun.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3213 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:42 AM »
The shore ice is good still.

The main ice was rock solid. The snow hadn’t even melted off and my holes were skimming over when I left.
Yes, like Bruce reeleyez said here...shore ice is still very good ...just a few tiny little melted  shore spots I saw, mainly near small creeks and drainage areas.

Also noticed that Scriba creek was now completely open and ice free from  the dam above the hatchery, all the way down to the lake.
My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline icecutter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3214 on: Mar 20, 2019, 03:17 PM »
Great day to take a vacation day, was beautiful out there today. Measured 16" of ice, top was getting a bit soft on way off. Fishing......well humbling today. Caught 3 perch and a pin. Guys I talked to also struggled but enjoyed the weather. Good job on perch Choo Choo!!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3215 on: Mar 20, 2019, 03:46 PM »
Nice job choo choo! I was out today. Fishing was slow but enjoyed fishing with pimple pounder and his crew! Always a fun time Bill 🤙🏻
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline pollock

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3216 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:32 PM »
Glad ice is still holding. Has anyone been out by Frenchman today ? Wondering if ice is still good for a wheeler there . Enjoy the weather and ice fellow Fisher people.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3217 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:45 PM »
I was out this afternoon as well. I ended up catching over 20 perch and kept a baker’s dozen.

I got to fish with a few friends that I have not seen in quite a while. Lots of laughs.

This weather is great other than the sunburn!  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3218 on: Mar 20, 2019, 04:58 PM »
Good job all ,
 I managed 3 lakers on and landed 1 they were pretty dull acting
But no skunk 👍🏻Got there early wish I had my camera phone doesn’t do the moon justice

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3219 on: Mar 20, 2019, 05:17 PM »
Good work Freddie! 😎
Hey Snoop... those fish will pay at some point. I’m certain!!😈
“Saving the perch population, one walleye at a time”-reeleyz 2021

Don’t worry Freddie, Hot bite is at 11:00!!😜

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3220 on: Mar 20, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Good work Freddie! 😎
Hey Snoop... those fish will pay at some point. I’m certain!!😈

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3221 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:08 PM »
Great day to take a vacation day, was beautiful out there today. Measured 16" of ice, top was getting a bit soft on way off.
Thanks icecutter and Deadeyez.....Any day out on the ice is better than a day at work !..especially when the weather cooperates.
 I hope you both slam them perch next time out !

Good job reeleyez and Fred...cool moon shot !

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3222 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:21 PM »
Nice job on the stripers Bruce!!😎

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3223 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:36 PM »
KP....miss your reports....any fish action lately ?

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3224 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:48 PM »
A couple of questions for you  guy's

How much snow is forecast for the  Oneida area in the next week?

Was wondering if you think there was a larger than normal shad kill due to the cold late fall and long & thick ice season ?
I don't remember reading this year about guys seeing those zombie, dying shad in there holes or frozen in the early ice.
Any thoughts or shad observations ?

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3225 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:15 PM »
Last week was feast today was famine lots of moves marked bunch if fish but tight lipped awesome day out there weather and great company good to fish with u again Deadeyez and always appreciate a day on with my dad and buddies we left the ice with 30 fish

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3226 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:34 PM »
A couple of questions for you  guy's

How much snow is forecast for the  Oneida area in the next week?

Was wondering if you think there was a larger than normal shad kill due to the cold late fall and long & thick ice season ?
I don't remember reading this year about guys seeing those zombie, dying shad in there holes or frozen in the early ice.
Any thoughts or shad observations ?

I don’t think we are going to get much snow. Maybe a few inches. It would be good to help protect the ice though.

As far as shad go, I think there was a good die off this fall. One interesting thing is that the lake temperature gets colder when there is no ice in the winter. Those times when the air temp is cold but the wind keeps the lake open keeps the overall temp lower than when it is covered in ice. The wind and waves are like a mixer keeping the temps down. This is per Cornell.

So in theory the years when the lake takes a while to freeze, more shad die. December was fairly cold too.

Offline KingPerch

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3227 on: Mar 20, 2019, 08:47 PM »
KP....miss your reports....any fish action lately ?
Been really busy Steve. I haven’t been out in 3 weeks. Looking to get out this Saturday. Going to get Josh’s bassboat out of storage this week. Big snow pile in front of the storage building doors kept us from getting it last weekend.

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3228 on: Mar 20, 2019, 11:15 PM »
I heard 10_12 inches Friday night into saterday

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3229 on: Mar 21, 2019, 08:02 AM »
I don’t think we are going to get much snow. Maybe a few inches. It would be good to help protect the ice though.

As far as shad go, I think there was a good die off this fall. One interesting thing is that the lake temperature gets colder when there is no ice in the winter. Those times when the air temp is cold but the wind keeps the lake open keeps the overall temp lower than when it is covered in ice. The wind and waves are like a mixer keeping the temps down. This is per Cornell.

So in theory the years when the lake takes a while to freeze, more shad die. December was fairly cold too.
Very interesting Bruce reeleyz. So a season where the skim ice forms vey early, never thaws or breaks up, and the lake stays ice covered for a   long time, is actually beneficial to the shad population in the lake. Completely opposite of what I thought was the case in a shallow lake.
Thanks for the reply reeleyz.

Been really busy Steve. I haven’t been out in 3 weeks. Looking to get out this Saturday. Going to get Josh’s bassboat out of storage this week. Big snow pile in front of the storage building doors kept us from getting it last weekend.
Oh, ok . "real busy" pays the bills, and buy's new toys . Good luck if you go this week end.

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3230 on: Mar 21, 2019, 12:00 PM »
If a lake freezes up quickly the most dense water will sink to the bottom and stay there and take a long time to cool off.  Fresh water is most dense at 39 degrees. Like Bruce said, high winds and frequent break ups can cause the water to mix and get much cooler than 39, since Oneida is relatively shallow it can mix all the way through with a good wind and cause it to cool all the way through the column so there is no safe haven for the shad.

I think I have ice fished my last time this year, I started getting the boat ready and hope to be on one of the finger lakes this weekend. Good luck and stay safe. 

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3231 on: Mar 21, 2019, 12:16 PM »
had  fun   little mix bag  fishing  ;D

Offline bigal409

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3232 on: Mar 21, 2019, 01:10 PM »
Nice batch there Trapper.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3233 on: Mar 21, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Nice catch Trap!
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline fishshack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3234 on: Mar 21, 2019, 02:26 PM »
Nice work Trapp!!

Offline elrodalonzo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3235 on: Mar 21, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Got out this morning in the light rain.  Fish bit like crazy for the first couple of hours then disappeared for the most part.  Spent the next two hours with hardly any fish marked and the ones that were there wouldn't bite.  Measured 13 inches of ice but its deteriorating fast.  Lots of cracks showing up and some standing water on the way out.  Might be the last outing for me I don't like to push my luck.  Put lots of fish in the freezer this week looking for the weather to warm up now I've had enough of winter.  Good luck to all and be safe.

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3236 on: Mar 21, 2019, 04:54 PM »
I got the kid off the bus and we zipped out for a few hours until the steady rain started.

The shore where I get on is toast but there are still plenty of okay spots to get on. We just need it to freeze soon. The top layer is chewy.

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3237 on: Mar 21, 2019, 04:58 PM »
If a lake freezes up quickly the most dense water will sink to the bottom and stay there and take a long time to cool off.  Fresh water is most dense at 39 degrees. Like Bruce said, high winds and frequent break ups can cause the water to mix and get much cooler than 39, since Oneida is relatively shallow it can mix all the way through with a good wind and cause it to cool all the way through the column so there is no safe haven for the shad.

I think I have ice fished my last time this year, I started getting the boat ready and hope to be on one of the finger lakes this weekend. Good luck and stay safe.
Great explanation slamboney, makes sense .

Good luck on your open water season !

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3238 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:00 PM »
I got the kid off the bus and we zipped out for a few hours until the steady rain started.

The shore where I get on is toast but there are still plenty of okay spots to get on. We just need it to freeze soon. The top layer is chewy.

Great picture, cute kid, good job on the fish too.

Nice mess of fish trapper.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3239 on: Mar 21, 2019, 05:12 PM »

suck it up  buddy  your fishing partner will grow up before you know it ....great  job

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.