Author Topic: Hot Morning Bite!  (Read 922 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Hot Morning Bite!
« on: Jan 28, 2024, 07:39 PM »
Was a little tired from yesterday but forced myself out of bed for day two. Hit a different 2 trap lake. My target was bows and I was fishing by myself so I figured the 6 leftover smelt would be good enough to hold me over until about noon or so. Definitely didn’t need another dozen.

Hit the lake a little later than I usually do and pulled up to the access at 7:00. To my surprise no one was there. Jaw jackers were set up by 7:45 and by 8:00 both went off within 2 minutes of each other. By 10:00 I ran out of bait! And of course since I was planning on a half day I didn’t bring any worms, eggs or power bait. I figured I’d throw some Keitech 3” swimbaits on the jackers for an hour because the bite was so hot. They went off 3x but no fish. Unfortunately no bows but hooked up to 4 salmon on a rod and reel was fun.
Tight Lines!

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Hot Morning Bite!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2024, 07:46 PM »
Salmon day for me as well, I ended up hooking 10 salmon 2 white and 2 yellows. Only one other person I saw fishing today but did see him running for flags earlier in the morning! Wondering if it was you lol

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2024, 08:12 PM »
Definitely was! you were out on the snowdog? I’ll send you a PM. How much ice did you have out your way?
Tight Lines!

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2024, 08:20 PM »
Had a good 3 to 4inches in most spots with a few inches of junk ice  but everything was pretty consistent, I checked the ice frequently and didn’t really run into any spots I didn’t feel comfortable with,however I don’t think I would venture out past the point I was fishing any more than 200 yards, looks like a pressure ridge was starting to form

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2024, 08:40 PM »
Thanks for the solid info. Hope we can build a couple more inches so I can take the sled out. A pressure ridge usually forms there every year so not too surprised
Tight Lines!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2024, 11:14 AM »
Awesome. Way to get rewarded for dragging yourself out ;)
And yea the morning bite was hot on the 2 trapper I was on as well. All Bows for me
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2024, 11:45 AM »
Nice report, always a fun day when you burn through your bait...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2024, 02:38 PM »
Glad you made it out and had a good bite…
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.