Author Topic: Ice report Sunapee Region  (Read 2670 times)

Offline fishinguy165

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice report Sunapee Region
« on: Jan 18, 2023, 10:13 AM »
Well, I got out last weekend to fish a bit, and check ice conditions. I hit Mascoma in Enfield, Halfmoon in Washington, and Franklin Pierce in Hillsboro, and drive-bys of a few others. All were 6-10" of ice, and took the ice skates out on some of them. Looks like the season it on for me!

Careful with machines as there were some sizeable open pockets around little creek mouths from all the recent rain and warm weather.  But on foot - time to get after it!

And the tackle shack in Newbury had some big pigs of smelt for sale last weekend, almost a little too big for chasing browns and bows.

Tight lines!
Loose lips and tight lines

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice report Sunapee Region
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Thanks for the info
Heading out this weekend- will send along report afterwards

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2023, 01:29 PM »
No such thing as too big for chasing Browns and Bows. Unless you’re looking for the 12-14” kind of Trout?
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2023, 02:03 PM »
Never seen a shmelt that was too big. Thanks for the report.  :tipup:
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline benny8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2023, 02:25 PM »
Well, I got out last weekend to fish a bit, and check ice conditions. I hit Mascoma in Enfield, Halfmoon in Washington, and Franklin Pierce in Hillsboro, and drive-bys of a few others. All were 6-10" of ice, and took the ice skates out on some of them. Looks like the season it on for me!

Careful with machines as there were some sizeable open pockets around little creek mouths from all the recent rain and warm weather.  But on foot - time to get after it!

And the tackle shack in Newbury had some big pigs of smelt for sale last weekend, almost a little too big for chasing browns and bows.

Tight lines!
You actually fished Mascoma? I took a ride up Friday afternoon after the rain and there was open water around the bridge stretching 2-300 yards towards the dam. The ice was the white slushy stuff. I tried walking out of the boat launch and spud went thru slushy ice and I decided to fish another day.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2023, 03:06 PM »
And Therein lies the stupidity of posting ice reports at different places. It’s opinion or hearsay reading it on here. Check for yourselves folks! Pay no mind to a Ice report from a stranger online

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2023, 03:13 PM »
And Therein lies the stupidity of posting ice reports at different places. It’s opinion or hearsay reading it on here. Check for yourselves folks! Pay no mind to a Ice report from a stranger online
Reports are good indicators of where to head to, but should never be considered "safe ice everywhere", and for people like me that the only ice around is in my freezer definitely helps narrow where to drive for 2hours to look for ice ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2023, 03:16 PM »
I mean, good luck with the 400 “fisherman” around you then  ;D

Offline Ruimachado

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2023, 03:18 PM »
I always bring extra hot dogs to share ;D ;D

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2023, 03:19 PM »
I always bring extra hot dogs to share ;D ;D

Haha! Touché! You’re alright  ;D

Offline fishinguy165

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2023, 08:41 PM »
By no means was Mascoma "safe everywhere" on last saturday. Yep plenty of open water down by the dam and around the bridge. But right out front off the parking lot was safe enough for a few folks fishing and for me to pop some holes. I didn't stay to fish, just check conditions and report. I know better than to say where I caught those trophy 4" perch  ;) ;) 

I had figured with the recent rain that the river mouth at Mascoma might be wide open for quite a ways out into the lake. I don't know the lake well, its only me second winter here so I figured I would get off my duff and check. Thats what I found but as always - use your judgment.

Loose lips and tight lines

Offline alexg425

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2023, 07:12 AM »
Checked Ice at mascoma last night and fished a little as the storm rolled in

Looked like some smelt following my spoon but no craps or whities. Was only out for a half hour though

Drilled holes right off the access and was about 6+ inches. Some other guy was skating circles from there along the bridge lights. Saw some other lights along the N shorline as well. Didn't see any snow machines

With the snow coming in I would say definately spud around the inlet and bridge, but if you want to fish near the access it is safe

There were some traffic cones blocking off an area right off the launch too... don't know if someone went through or if it was something else

Offline wally

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If I'm not killing it I'm catching it!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2023, 08:39 PM »
Don’t you live in Maine? What do you care? Check yourself brah. Every single comment I see you post is always negative crap bashing other fisherman on Shanty constantly. Seriously you have 7,000 post on here and 6,000 are bashing other anglers. Go ahead now and bash me too for pointing you out. Honestly I’ve been on Shanty for over a decade now and I generally don’t post or read much off season. You live on here bub. 😂

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2023, 08:47 PM »
Don’t you live in Maine? What do you care? Check yourself brah. Every single comment I see you post is always negative crap bashing other fisherman on Shanty ;D constantly. Seriously you have 7,000 post on here and 6,000 are bashing other anglers. Go ahead now and bash me too for pointing you out. Honestly I’ve been on Shanty for over a decade now and I generally don’t post or read much off season. You live on here bub. 😂

No, look at my profile. Brahhhh.

If every comment you see is me bashing it tells me you only read the posts where someone is looking for a spot and you are sad that you didn’t get the answer too. Your numbers are a bit skewed. You pointed nothing out. Congrats on your decade I guess? Weird flex. I don’t think many of us are on here off season, how would that make sense? Well done pointing me out though, bruhhhhh

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:51 AM »

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2023, 06:42 AM »
No, look at my profile. Brahhhh.

If every comment you see is me bashing it tells me you only read the posts where someone is looking for a spot and you are sad that you didn’t get the answer too. Your numbers are a bit skewed. You pointed nothing out. Congrats on your decade I guess? Weird flex. I don’t think many of us are on here off season, how would that make sense? Well done pointing me out though, bruhhhhh

Are you talking to your daughters boyfriend Brah!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:41 AM »

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:47 AM »
And all this time I thought a bra was to keep boobies from stretching  out.. oh well live and learn..
AA has a FOS stalking him.

About the baits, big baits help avoid small targets, mainly because they cant get it in their mouth, big fish require big calories,  one worth the effort to hunt down... the logic has served me well for a long time over alot of conditions,  smaller baits may catch more fish, bigger  bait catches quality fish,

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:03 AM »
Frank... how many different names you up to now?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:43 AM »
Frank... how many different names you up to now?

Lmao! Seasons young Dennis…. One cannot say.

Cyber Gangster ASS Flamingo troll bruh out!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2023, 10:06 AM »
I liked Goof... It's got that old school Michigan/Southern Canada vibe

"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Feb 01, 2023, 10:14 AM »
It’s where I’m from, just check my location

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:26 PM »
Don’t you live in Maine? What do you care? Check yourself brah. Every single comment I see you post is always negative crap bashing other fisherman on Shanty constantly. Seriously you have 7,000 post on here and 6,000 are bashing other anglers. Go ahead now and bash me too for pointing you out. Honestly I’ve been on Shanty for over a decade now and I generally don’t post or read much off season. You live on here bub. 😂

Brahhhh lemme tell you if you think hes bad, I'm worse.  I live on here talk more crap and get paid for it.  Youve been adding zilch to shanty for a decade.  Thanks!

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:37 PM »
And all this time I thought a bra was to keep boobies from stretching  out.. oh well live and learn..
AA has a FOS stalking him.

About the baits, big baits help avoid small targets, mainly because they cant get it in their mouth, big fish require big calories,  one worth the effort to hunt down... the logic has served me well for a long time over alot of conditions,  smaller baits may catch more fish, bigger  bait catches quality fish,

And here I thought it was the sound an ol two stroke makes. Braaaaaa Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:39 PM »

I’m just here for the hot dogs brahhhh
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:40 PM »

Lmfao!

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 01, 2023, 03:24 PM »

Bruh!!!!

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 01, 2023, 04:37 PM »

Helluva hotdog grip right there bruh
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline V Menzone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:40 PM »

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:47 PM »
The Nature Bruh, Ric Flair

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.