Author Topic: Slushy Saturday  (Read 1031 times)

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
Slushy Saturday
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:17 AM »
I left the house at 6:30, grabbed a coffee and a donut and started driving north with a couple ideas of where to go. I decided to visit Norman and Ethel on the lake early Saturday morning. First catch of the day was the sun in my mirror. I’m not artsy fartsy, just thought it looked cool.

Got to pond with zero wind and light fluffy snow falling. On the ice I found 1-2” of crust, 3” of snow, 5”+ of slush, and 6-7” of ice. The walking and pulling a sled was less than ideal but it’s better than sitting on the couch. I decided right away that walking and jigging all day would be a pain in the ass. I drilled a hole, shoveled some snow and had my own mini pond all to myself. That was dumb.

I smartened up and drilled another hole and didn’t shovel any snow away. Set the jaw jacker and flipped on the Garmin. I’m still learning and playing with it, I love it. Plus watching the fish move around is entertaining. What can I say, I’m simple minded.

When I walked a bit to set a trap the jaw jacker popped and had a nice salmon that was cut at the hole. When the trap was set I had 2 yellows off it in about an hour and a laughably small mouth a little later on the jacker too. Then the sun came out for a bit, then the wind picked up, and then the clouds came back. I called it a day. Went home and cleaned the garage.
Happy to have a day even if it was a little slow. Two trap lakes by yourself can be boring. Call your mom, consider the plight of the environment, crochet, I don’t care. Keep yourself entertained somehow.

Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Slushy Saturday
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:41 AM »
I left the house at 6:30, grabbed a coffee and a donut and started driving north with a couple ideas of where to go. I decided to visit Norman and Ethel on the lake early Saturday morning. First catch of the day was the sun in my mirror. I’m not artsy fartsy, just thought it looked cool.

Got to pond with zero wind and light fluffy snow falling. On the ice I found 1-2” of crust, 3” of snow, 5”+ of slush, and 6-7” of ice. The walking and pulling a sled was less than ideal but it’s better than sitting on the couch. I decided right away that walking and jigging all day would be a pain in the ass. I drilled a hole, shoveled some snow and had my own mini pond all to myself. That was dumb.

I smartened up and drilled another hole and didn’t shovel any snow away. Set the jaw jacker and flipped on the Garmin. I’m still learning and playing with it, I love it. Plus watching the fish move around is entertaining. What can I say, I’m simple minded.

When I walked a bit to set a trap the jaw jacker popped and had a nice salmon that was cut at the hole. When the trap was set I had 2 yellows off it in about an hour and a laughably small mouth a little later on the jacker too. Then the sun came out for a bit, then the wind picked up, and then the clouds came back. I called it a day. Went home and cleaned the garage.
Happy to have a day even if it was a little slow. Two trap lakes by yourself can be boring. Call your mom, consider the plight of the environment, crochet, I don’t care. Keep yourself entertained somehow.

Less than ideal conditions,but it still beat cleaning the garage .
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:58 AM »
Killer post. Nice work
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:59 AM »
Artsy Fartsy or not, it's tough to beat the beauty of a sunrise... Nice report
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:05 AM »
Artsy Fartsy or not, it's tough to beat the beauty of a sunrise... Nice report

💯
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline crashed87

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2023, 11:42 AM »
Less than ideal conditions,but it still beat cleaning the garage .

Girlfriend and I moved into her parents house when they moved to Florida. We are incredibly fortunate but they left stuff everywhere. The garage is the tip of the iceberg (insert eye roll emoji here)
Clear ice, tight lines, can’t lose

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2023, 07:51 PM »
Nothing wrong with appreciating a nice sunrise on the way to a day of fishing... glad you found some fish... Well done.
Good luck with the iceberg.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:50 PM »
Great report!

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2023, 05:40 AM »
All and all looks like a good day better than sitting on the couch.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2023, 05:46 AM »
Looks like a good day even if it was a bit slow !

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 31, 2023, 08:59 PM »
Way to put in the work!
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.