Author Topic: Curious?  (Read 1853 times)

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
Curious?
« on: Feb 07, 2024, 06:43 PM »
Does anybody have an idea what might get you on the board for yellow perch. I can only find results for past winners but  not the top five for each day. Looks like 1.67 was the largest for that category in 2023 but didn’t say what 5th place was. I prefished last weekend and caught a bunch in the 1.0 to 1.2 range. I spent more time scouting but I feel there has to be bigger ones. Pickeral usually goes from high 4’s to low 4’s. Sometimes a five pops up on the leader board. I guess I’m just curious if I’m sniffing the board with a 1.2. I realize it’s still based on the success of other anglers . I wanted to hike into this pond for years and never could because of snow and no parking . Finally the stars aligned. Best of luck
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Curious?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2024, 07:00 PM »
Sounds like you are bi-catch curious? ;D

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2024, 08:47 PM »
It varies but From some notes of the past few years the "average" min 5th place was in the 1.4s , around 14" for yellows.
Anything can happen though. Good luck this weekend!

Headed back to the rock for derby slabs...
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2024, 03:22 PM »
I was trying to find previous top 5’s myself. I thought it used to be on the website but can’t seem to find it anymore. Not even their Facebook page
Tight Lines!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2024, 04:01 PM »
Found these on the rotary Facebook page

Every fish is a good fish!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2024, 04:07 PM »
You speaking my language Jibbs!! I have targeted yellows for the derby exclusively for the past 20 years. Last years biggun was 1.62 lbs and that's a big YP. The fish in my avatar was 14.5" and 1.54lbs. It was the 2nd biggest of the weekend for that particular year and won me some money. I was bumped in the last 10 minutes of check in on Sunday. That was well over 10 years ago.

If you get anything 1.5 and bigger you will likely be on the board. Especially Saturday- don't rule out Saturday! I have seen many Saturdays where the biggest yellow was 1.3lbs and the gang I was fishing with could have got spots 1-5 easily. People often wait to Sunday to check in their fish and since a 1.4lb yellow perch doesn't seem exciting so they don't bother. That can be a mistake for sure.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2024, 04:09 PM »
Lets get a better look at that winning fish (I don't get to show it off very often)

Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2024, 08:23 PM »
Good luck guys!

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2024, 02:04 AM »
I appreciate all the intel…I’m pushing hard this year and hope to get on the board ..every year I’m basically fishing for bass or partying 😎🥃..that’s not going to get you on the board..jethro thank you for the heads up and great fish ..take care
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2024, 03:02 AM »
Getting close 1.3 yesterday and 3.8 snake

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2024, 07:30 AM »
Nice work Jibbs. 

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2024, 07:39 PM »
Nice work Jibbs.
our biggest today was 1.3..20 maybe at a 1lb..can’t believe we didn’t catch a bigger one ..bass were biting ..lol

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2024, 01:30 AM »
Sounds like you are bi-catch curious? ;D
Tri and curious

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:32 AM »
Nice work jibbs….
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline rmoody79

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2024, 08:41 PM »
Sounds like a fun derby, were you not trying for trout at all or was Perch bass pickerel all that came through on the traps?

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2024, 08:45 PM »
Sounds like a fun derby, were you not trying for trout at all or was Perch bass pickerel all that came through on the traps?
no straight pickeral and yellows..the pond did not have trout

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:14 PM »
Sounds like a nice pond, been a long time since I backpacked into a spot.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.