Author Topic: Norhtern Illinois guys  (Read 7124 times)

fishmanj

Norhtern Illinois guys
« on: Dec 18, 2003, 08:57 AM »
I was wondering if there are any of you out here, I keep waiting for a post and haven't seen any yet.  I'm going to attempt to make it out on Sunday afternoon to a local lake.  The lake iced up a few weeks ago and has held up really well with the weather we have had.  

TobStar

Re:Norhtern Illinois guys
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:21 AM »
I'm a NIL guy & plan to fish either Olson or Pierce Lk on TU.   A couple of my buds have seen tracks on the ice.  I hope there is fishable ice next week.  What is your location?  BE SAFE!!  TobStar

Danimal

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:44 AM »
I hope to get to my place in Braidwood on Sunday morning. On vacation from 12-23 till 1-5. Let's hope the cold keeps coming not the forcasted rain & mid 40 temps.

fishmanj

« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2003, 09:44 AM »
I'm in Lake County.  When it comes to my first ice outing of the year I always go out the day before checking ice thickness and normally wont fish water that is too much deeper then then I am tall!  The forcast fro my area doesn't look to good for Tuesday, they are calling for rain, keep you fingers crossed that we don't get it.

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Praying for 3 more weeks of ice!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2003, 03:31 PM »
I live in crystal lake and I will try to make it out this weekend if it stays cold....I drove by lake zurich today and the lake was frozen as well.

GET READY GUYS....ITS RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER!

Offline bido

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rip some lips!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2003, 11:56 AM »
i'm in lake county my self took a drive to north point marina this mornin in winthrop harbor  they have 2 boat slips open one guy was out there but sitting on the dock so not sure how thick it is but i'm thinking bout heading out there this afternoon see what the good ol' vexilar says  :o

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:18 AM »
Drove by crystal lake on Sunday for shts and giggles and there were about ten people out there jiggin!

I wasnt expecting it and didnt bring any gear...still waiting for my first time out this year

Ice-Crack

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Headhunter-
Have you gotten out on crystal lake yet?  I'm hoping to get out there soon.  Usually I wait till there is at least 4 inches.  The last I heard there was 3?

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:55 AM »
No not yet,  tough with my work schedule and toddlers but I plan on playing hookie from work Friday to drop a couple lines in the water.  I think by then we should be good with all this cold weather we are having.  Like I said, I saw a handful of people out there last weekend. See you out there!

hdhntr

fishmanj

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2003, 09:58 AM »
I like th eides of playing hookie!  I wanted to make it out last weekend but my plans didn't come together like I hade hoped for.  They are calling for anther warm up this weekend so if you go out be safe.

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2003, 12:02 AM »
Crystal lake was hoppin today, counted about 27 people at the west end.  I only managed a few hours today and landed a few gills.  Saw one guy pull out a nice size northern on his tip up

hdhntr

Ice-Crack

« Reply #11 on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:31 AM »
Yeah I saw that guy pull up that northern.... from a distance though.  Someone said it was 10 pounds but I'm not sure about that.  I caught one small northern myself.....nothing to write home about.  Headhunter- where were you fishing?  I was on the extreme west part of the west end.  

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 27, 2003, 08:40 AM »
I was probably right next to you,  I stayed right around the outside of the main bunch. I had the Fish trap guide with the bum auger...I was moochin holes.  Orange jacket.  There was one other guy with same shanty that kept it in the windbreak position.

hdhntr

Ice-Crack

« Reply #13 on: Dec 27, 2003, 04:13 PM »
Oh okay.  I saw the guy you were talking about with the fish trap in the wind break position.  I was directly in front of him about 30 yards.  I was the farthest west of anyone on the lake.  It seems like the area with the group of people in it was were most of the panfish action was taking place.  I think they were fishing in about 5-7 fow.  I couldn't buy a bite with the panfish though.  I was using ratfinkes, fat boys, moon jigs....all tipped with spikes or wax worms.  The northern I caught was in 4 fow.  

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 27, 2003, 06:45 PM »
For as far out as those folks were, I'm surprised how shallow it is.  I creeped up right next to the young kid in the blue clam and it seemed like it was about 4 feet.  Dont think I will be able to get out until next weekend, ice permitting.

Ice-Crack

« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:28 PM »
Something must have happened to the water level because its not even close to what the topographic map says it should be.  The map I have says that area should be about 15 ft.  I was hoping to make it out next weekend but I think its highly doubtful with this weather forecast.  I'm just hoping for the weekend after next.  

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2003, 07:49 PM »
I was to the east of them as well and the depth did take a pretty big drop. Im hoping it gets cold, Im planning on going on a fishing trip to lake Simcoe near Toronto at the end of January

Ice-Crack

« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:23 AM »
Headhunter-
Have you gone by Crystal Lake lately?  I wonder if its completely opened up.  That weather we had yesterday probably did alot of damage.

Offline HEADHUNTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2004, 09:52 AM »
I went over there a couple days ago and there were a few people close to shore and one dude way out where the group usually gathers. I personally thought he was nuts but then again, it is shallow over there.  I might take a drive today fdor the heck of it.

gazoo7401

« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2004, 12:29 AM »
do you guys ever ice fish around or at the kankakee river?

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2004, 07:37 PM »
I live in kankakee about 1 block from the river, I know the ice gets thick in some spots but I would never trust it enough to get out and fish on it. Besides when the river finally gets enough ice you would probably get run over by a snowmobile. The only places that I would say are safe is in the marina at Cobb Park, and some of the other boat clubs upstream of the I-57 bridge. Another spot is the Bird Park Quarry I have never fished it which is kinda strange since I can see it from my house. Do you live around Kankakee, if you do I have some pretty good spots around the area, maybe we could fish sometime.
Bent rods and full beers.

gazoo7401

« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2004, 08:40 AM »
Actually I live in Indiana but know some people out that way. The river is so much better out by you guys, it's like a ditch through Indiana.

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2004, 05:33 PM »
Your not kidding, I was doing some pipeline work over there this past fall and was a little surprised at the size of the river. It was the first time I had been over that way. Some of the ditches we had spans on were bigger. Do you fish Willow Slough? I'd like to try that through the ice I've heard some people say it's good and some say otherwise. Most of the fishing I do is at Braidwood Recreation Club, and Wilmington Recreation Club. Looks like we should have decent ice by the end of the week.
Bent rods and full beers.

Danimal

« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2004, 08:44 AM »
Varmentguy, I have fished the BRC 3 times this season. Mostly on Bass & Goose. Not much to speak of yet some nice perch from Bass. No crappie which is real suprising. Hopefully the bigger pits will be safe for this weekend. I have my radar tuned to walleye on Beach. We caught more than a few in open water on Beach the biggest being 26". Ever do any good on Beach? I will be there maybe Sunday.  

bill1123

« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2004, 06:26 AM »
Something must have happened to the water level because its not even close to what the topographic map says it should be.  The map I have says that area should be about 15 ft.  I was hoping to make it out next weekend but I think its highly doubtful with this weather forecast.  I'm just hoping for the weekend after next.  
 I live on the north shore of crystal lake and yes the water level is way down .There were little islands sticking out of the water on the west end this summer it was almost impossible to get boats in and out....   I will probably see you guys out there do quite alot of ice fishing myself

Frogfishin2

Re: Norhtern Illinois guys
« Reply #25 on: Feb 04, 2004, 12:34 PM »
Hey for all u fisherman around the northern part of the state the boone county consevation district is putting in a bunch of brown and rainbow trout for the kids fishing derby on saturday the 7th. The pond is closed till then and until it is over.  Let me tell u though i caught a lot of browns and they were pretty good ones till april. They go for swedish pimples tipped with fathead minnows, and they really like tipups as well.  ;)  Tight lines everyone.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.