Author Topic: Snap for the slender spoon?  (Read 3297 times)

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
Snap for the slender spoon?
« on: Dec 17, 2016, 06:57 PM »
Do you guys use the snaps that come with slender spoons or just tie them straight up? I know I'd will give the spoon more of an erratic action, also seems like it would be an advantage to be able to change colors quickly. This  is the first year I'll be using them, so just looking for a little insight thanks! :tipup:

Offline bootstrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Snap for the slender spoon?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2016, 09:25 PM »
I always use the snap and a tiny swivel above it about 2ft. the metal on the spoon will cut the line. I just got my first 1/16 size ones and am going to try one of those tiny quick clips with them. what color you going with?

Chute82

« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:14 AM »
You want to use a snap, I pounded the fish so hard 2 years ago with a slender spoon wore out the hooks in one outing. It's my go to lure when ice fishing, have done good with blue/nickel, charetruse/nickel, and green/nickel.. I add a minnow head to the spoon also...good luck

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2016, 10:58 AM »
I always use the snap and a tiny swivel above it about 2ft. the metal on the spoon will cut the line. I just got my first 1/16 size ones and am going to try one of those tiny quick clips with them. what color you going with?

I bought about 6 of these, different sizes and colors. Thinking the first one I try will either be a 1/16th in silver/silver, or silver/chartreuse. I also bought a black nickel/chartreuse thinking a little less flash might be the ticket on some days  :tipup: I'm really excited to try these, I've always used Swedish Pimples with decent luck, but what I've read about these makes me anxious to try them. They were mentioned in the new In-Fisherman ice guide in the writers top 10 lures, made me feel good knowing I made a good purchase (already had them before reading the guide)

Offline italianice77

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:06 AM »
i allways use snap swivels for spoons, keeps the line from twisting and you can change lures faster.
it's all fun and games till somebody looses a walleye!!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2016, 11:39 PM »
First thing I did was throw the snaps away.

Offline Johnsonarcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2016, 02:02 PM »
The slender spoons are my favorite for crappie, they love the gold and glow. I have done it both ways, but i always go back to using the snaps, easier to change out when I want a different color.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:18 PM »
First thing I did was throw the snaps away.

The reason being?

Offline BRIZBO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:27 PM »
I always use a snap with a spoon. The quick change ones for fly fishing work good.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:19 PM »
Don't trust them.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2016, 07:33 PM »
I like adding a short dropper and a really sharp ( think Owner or Gami)  hook. I either use the snap or a very small snap swivel.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Don't trust them.

Do you put on a split ring or anything in their place? I used to use little quick-clips for everything but now I just tie and retie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.