The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pickled smelts for trolling  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Brookieslayer20

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pickled smelts for trolling
« on: Apr 15, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Hey guys, I’ve got a bunch of live smelts right now nd I’d like to pickle some for fishing at a later date. I bought some at a store one time that were pickled in a solution in a sealed bag that could be stored right on a shelf until opened and then could be stored in the fridge. Any advice or info is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline 4ssss

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pickled smelts for trolling
« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2018, 11:29 AM »
You can also just do them in salt to cure them. I think all the curing does is tighten them up.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2018, 01:43 PM »
Some bait dealers north of Farmington were selling pickled smelts a few years ago. They smelled like they were preserved in a mix of formeldehyde and other noxious chemicals. I decided not to use them because I didn't want to poison any fish that I release.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 15, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I brined, salted then froze mine using this method. http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/general/how_to_make_salted_minnows.htm

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2018, 05:58 PM »
I use a similar method of brining and salting bait. Adding 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the brine will help preserve the color.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 16, 2018, 08:21 AM »
I use a similar method of brining and salting bait. Adding 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the brine will help preserve the color.
Yes, add the baking soda. I forgot that link didn’t mention the baking soda, but I add it to my brine solution based on other instructions.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.