Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Warm weather  (Read 2689 times)

arrowhead

Warm weather
« on: Dec 20, 2003, 08:53 PM »
Do you guys go out when there are warm spells like this?

arrowhead

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re:Warm weather
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2003, 10:36 PM »
You dang right. These warm weather spells that slow the thickening of the ice are awesome times for fishing. Also, its just nice to sit on the ice and not think about where your gloves are. Just make sure you dont take a swim.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

arrowhead

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 09:49 AM »
If these temps kept up for a few days would the ice still be safe?

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:25 PM »
Love to fish warm ice weather when I can.  Too bad I couldnt take advantage this weekend.

As far as safe ice....depends.  Warm air, especially with a wind like this weekend, kills ice over a few days on most waters.  Now secluded and shaded waters arent as affected as much, neither are lakes that have substantial ice (ice over 10-12").  But, lakes with 6" or under and are exposed are in danger of losing the ice if the weather is in the 40s for long.  Ice near shore, structure, shallow water, etc. will go first as it holds heat quicker.  Just take a spud and test it if you want to go.  Test every few steps (or less) and beware of any honeycombed ice as it can put you through even when it is thick.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

gr8buzz

« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:25 AM »
I fished 5 hrs on friday and 6 hrs on Sunday.The Ice was still 5 inches thick !

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2003, 04:20 PM »
Think of ice like a frozen turkey. If you wanted to thaw a turkey how long would it take if u put it in 40* air for 5 hours a day and 25* air 5 hours and air in between the two temps for the remainder of the day. That turkey would be frozen for a long time. But, always keep an eye on ice conditions cause there ar no absolutes when it comes to ice safety.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.