Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Clear Lake  (Read 15736 times)

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Clear Lake
« Reply #60 on: Mar 14, 2007, 10:36 AM »
How's the ice around the edges up there?  Anyone been to beeds or any other lakes lately where they know there is safe ice.  Only fished CL once and never on beeds, so any places where I may find the fish would also be helpful.  Edges are starting to open up around Ames area and I'm not ready to be done ice fishing. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Mar 14, 2007, 01:29 PM »
I went out at 4:30 pm and nothing bit until 6:30. I was fishing about 250-300 yards NE of Dodges Point.  It was good for about 20 minutes and then it shut off. I left at dark with 5 yellow and 1 white bass. I could of got more but wouldn't you know it when the bite was on my fishing line got tangled up.   I got on the lake at the concrete boat ramp by the island and the edges looked pretty good except where the water was running in to the lake on the east side of the ramp. Walking out wasn't to bad, every once in awhile you would sink down in about 6" of  slush.  In my opinion it will be good for at least another week or so depending upon the weather of course. I drilled down 18" in solid clear ice. (I measured it.) Even though I didn't get to many it was still great out their with temps in the 50's. Oh, I used just minnows on a plain aberdeen hook about a foot off the bottom. Other guys were using jigs with minnow heads.

Offline JimBobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Mar 14, 2007, 03:38 PM »
I'm heading up to Clear Lake this weekend as was wondering if there is any action in the Early morning hours?  From what I've read the sunset bite is the best but is anyone having any luck in the AM?  Looking for Yellows and Walleye.  Thanks.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Mar 14, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Big Blue that must have been you that was just north of us, there were two of us and my little guy. Looked like you had your hands full there for a little while! After they left you they must have moved towards shore cause then we got into them?
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!! Fish On!!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Mar 14, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Yep that was me. I saw you guys walk in from Dodges Point. Do they have a place for public parking where you guys walked in from?  It looks alot shorter than walking up from the boat ramp.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Mar 15, 2007, 08:58 AM »
Actually we have permission from an landowner to park at there place over there. Hope to make it out again before we lose it?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Mar 16, 2007, 12:49 AM »
Thats what I figured fishnfool but it sure would of been great if the state would of had the foresight before everything grew up around  the lake.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Mar 16, 2007, 11:21 AM »
yea I agree.
We went out last night for a bit, it was not fast and furious but we did manage a few. Ended up with 7 yellows 2 walleyes with one keeper, and lost a very nice fish right after catching the keeper so have to assume it was another walleye?

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Mar 16, 2007, 11:27 AM »
You get the eyes off Dodges too?  Was out this morning and hit some yellows and another crappie.  Still no eyes.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Mar 16, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Anyone fishing the aerator off city beach or outlet reef?  Thats notorious late season eye territory.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Mar 16, 2007, 05:08 PM »
Yea got em off Dogers. There was a 22" pulled off the aerator area on Fri. Been quite a bit of activity over that way the last week.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Mar 17, 2007, 10:47 PM »
10 yellows off Dodges tonight.  3 shacks at least over by the aerator.  Anybody have a report from over there??

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Mar 18, 2007, 06:58 AM »
 Nick your really gonna be lost when the ice goes out the way you've been hitting it.  I know kind of the last horrah.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Mar 19, 2007, 08:37 AM »
Have not been over since Thursday. Is ice still good to go?

Offline JimBobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Mar 19, 2007, 11:40 AM »
Fished the weekend and ice is still in very good shape.  Head up before the rain hits later this week cause that will mark the beginning of the end of the ice up there. :'(

~Jim

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Mar 19, 2007, 02:47 PM »
are you getting on at the Island? Is the slush shin deep still?

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Mar 19, 2007, 05:37 PM »
I was out this morning off Dodges.  Only 3 yellows in a very short lived bite.  I was still decent, around 15 inches but headed down hill.  A little water on top, and very slick...bring your cleats.  Id still like to hear a report from the aerator.  I might make it up tomorrow night, otherwise Im done.  If it rains, I dont think I would head out, and the wind is taking its toll too.

Offline crappieangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Mar 20, 2007, 09:44 AM »
Catchin the yellows on minnows?

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 20, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Yep.

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Mar 20, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I was planning on going over with my 6yr old but got a little spooked with the wind and not having a partner. If it doesnt rain we will try on wed.

Offline nick858

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Mar 25, 2007, 09:28 PM »
Is the ice gone yet?????

Offline fishnfool-3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Mar 26, 2007, 11:43 AM »
Wondering the same thing?

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #82 on: Mar 26, 2007, 12:20 PM »
Was over there in the boat on Saturday in the pea soup fog.  Outlet wasnt fully opened up yet.  There was 3 boats out there though.  Id say by now its open to the island at least.  Fishing was slow but thats to be expected when 3/4 of the lake is still iced over.  Water is crystal clear you can look down 6 or 7 feet and see bottom.  Another week or 2 and it will be hot over there.  Good luck Tight Lines

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.