Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Ft.Dodge/Brushy creek area  (Read 15095 times)

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ft.Dodge/Brushy creek area
« Reply #60 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:16 PM »
the map doesn't show depths just aerial photos (and GPS waypoints) of SOME of the ummarked DNR waypoints... for the record there are absolutely HUGE eye's in brushy...the fact is the windows for catching these pigs are so small you just either don't hear about the ones caught, or the people fishing for them don't want to let their secrets out...i for one have no problem helping put people on fish at brushy....but 10 pound walleyes, 16" crappies, and 14" perch....those, you'll have to find for yourselves (i gotta keep some things for myself, right?)   ;)

Offline reit38

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2011, 09:35 PM »
Headin to brushy for thefirst time ever tomm morning. Hope the 1.5 hr drive is worth it. Got skunked up at bussey today. Believe we;ll be fishing the south side.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 01, 2011, 10:03 PM »
I take my hat off to everyone involved with making the lake happen - really helps add a quality of life. Now only if we can get a few more of these projects put together just like it ;D

I agree..

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 02, 2011, 02:24 AM »
Hey Fellas, my brother and I are gonna be on the ice tomorrow. We'll be in a frabill predator w/red king quad hooked up. Swing by and say hello.

Nail em'

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 02, 2011, 05:56 AM »
heading to brushy now! will be in a black frabill with a white honda quad by us.  Stop by and say hi!

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #65 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:55 AM »
10-4 ED. See u on the ice.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 02, 2011, 07:30 PM »
was at a youth wrestling tourney today.....so, how did everybody do?  don't need where on brushy...just what was caught.

Offline Bflatisbest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 02, 2011, 08:56 PM »
Got out there today around 7:00AM. Fished the south end first with no luck whatsoever, few marked but no takers. Moved to the North end around 11 or so and worked my way out. Needless to say I got in to a school of 4 inch perch, and caught probably 20 or so in a half hour and then the bit slowed back up. Ended up staying till 6:30 PM before packing up and the largest fish being 9inch Crappie, that my girlfriend caught. Was a fun day overall but If I had known that it was all going to be dinks, I might have stayed in south central. Only my second time out there, I still have a LOT to learn about that lake.

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2011, 10:15 PM »
Well we had a pretty good day today. Two Keeper Gills, and Six Keeper Perch (largest being just under 12'') caught 35+ perch total 5-6 inchers they were hittin both minnowheads and waxies. We set up in 3 Different spots throughout the day. Caught one smaller walleye at sundown (returned him quickly back into the water) Cant wait to go back. Our best bite was between Two thirty and four o'clock......... green and orange guys.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 03, 2011, 02:25 AM »
Well we had a pretty good day today. Two Keeper Gills, and Six Keeper Perch (largest being just under 12'') caught 35+ perch total 5-6 inchers they were hittin both minnowheads and waxies. We set up in 3 Different spots throughout the day. Caught one smaller walleye at sundown (returned him quickly back into the water) Cant wait to go back. Our best bite was between Two thirty and four o'clock......... green and orange guys.

Thanks for the info.  Very much appreciated.

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 03, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Is it still just foot traffic out there on the north end or are there people driving out?  I'll be there in 2 weeks and hope to drive out with the truck, but will walk if needed.

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Should be good to go, we didn't venture to far north but there were trucks out on the ice. 

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 03, 2011, 11:31 AM »
There were trucks all over the north end yesterday.  I seen some driving as far down as the handicap docks area.  They were alot of people pulling out their big wheel houses with 4 wheelers too. The snow melt and refreeze came out really nice. The ice was 12 inches everywhere we drilled on the north end and really good looking ice. The ice was REALLLLLY making some noise...a constant cracking and popping when the trucks would pull on.

We started out fishing the middle straight across from the equestrian campground jetty.  It was the first time using a camera at brushy and we dropped it down damn near on top of 4 big walleye cruising by on the bottom. We fished this area moving a few times and marked and seen all kinds of perch, walleye, and gills but could not get one to bite. So we worked our way back toward the north side. We got set up on a tree that was showing fish and fished there until around 6 30 when we left.  After trying all kinds of bait and jig combos we had our best luck with a slender long banana shaped jig. Pink seemed to be the color of choice with 2 waxies on it.  It caught us quite of few variety of lil ones (crappie, gills, and perch).

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:19 PM »
ED4 -

Been to Brushy but never ice fished it so haven't driven on it.  Are they able to drive from the NE ramp & across the lake channel to the W side? I'm just inquiring about areas to watch out for or that could potentially be bad. Also, it seems like Brushy could be a trickly lake to drive on with all the tree structure.  One would think there would be some thin spots around the structure. But, it sounds like people drive all around it so must not be the case. Thanks.

Offline ed4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 03, 2011, 01:32 PM »
i dont know if people do or not. we either pull on by hand or drive the 4 wheeler.  I didnt notice a lot of people on the west/soutwest side.  Most seemed to favor the north area or all the way along the east shore clear down to the south side.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #75 on: Jan 03, 2011, 05:46 PM »
I am planning on a trip up there either this weekend or the weekend after. I have never fished brushy through the ice and only been on it once on softwater. Wondering if any of you guys would wanna show a guy the ropes?

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 03, 2011, 07:17 PM »
wrestling tourney friday and sunday this weekend, but i could probably help ya out on saturday for a couple hours....next weekend looks like a pee wee wrestling tourney too.

Offline MelroseHawkins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 04, 2011, 08:36 AM »
i dont know if people do or not. we either pull on by hand or drive the 4 wheeler.  I didnt notice a lot of people on the west/soutwest side.  Most seemed to favor the north area or all the way along the east shore clear down to the south side.

So, I take it they drive up & down the E side. I also understand the N freezes faster than the S & as the year goes on, people can go more south.  This is what I take from reading IceShanty on Brushy. I do have a 4 wheeler so I prob just will just hook the utility trailer to it to haul gear. Prob hit Clear Lake first & hopefully Brushy later.  Thanks again.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:58 PM »
the "road" goes right down the middle; however, more people fish the east side so there is more traffic there...me personally, i won't drive on it until the THINNEST spot i find is 15"...this week i found some 7" ice.    :-\

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:59 PM »
the "road" goes right down the middle; however, more people fish the east side so there is more traffic there...me personally, i won't drive on it until the THINNEST spot i find is 15"...this week i found some 7" ice.    :-\

hey bassrat,  if you could kinda keep us up to date on when you think its safe to drive the truck that'd be awesome...

Hope to get over that way soon but classes are starting so i gotta see how schools gunna go first...

Thanks... ;D

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 04, 2011, 07:29 PM »
oh, there's trucks out there......just not me....yet.  be happy to tell ya when i (the gutless wonder) pull the chevy onto the water.    ;)

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Jan 05, 2011, 03:22 AM »
oh, there's trucks out there......just not me....yet.  be happy to tell ya when i (the gutless wonder) pull the chevy onto the water.    ;)

sounds good... ;D

that'll prolly be about the same time i do.... lol

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #82 on: Jan 05, 2011, 04:47 PM »
getting gear ready thinking about brushy this weekend anyone want to meet up?

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 05, 2011, 05:46 PM »
getting gear ready thinking about brushy this weekend anyone want to meet up?

Wish i could but have family x-mas to go to...

Hoping to get over there soon!

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Anybody fish this week? Last week we saw a ton of nice fish but they would just "lip" it and swim away. Tried everything, just a little slow. Ended with a few nice gills, one over 10". Saw a few bigger. Headin' back that way this weekend probably. Good luck!

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #85 on: Jan 06, 2011, 08:38 PM »
hey spoony where is a good place for a guy with no quad to get out on. I have never been on brushy and am planning a run up this weekend

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 06, 2011, 11:57 PM »
toofuss, any one of the boat ramps will work. From there you can venture out where ever you want. Not much snow after the melt and pulling out is a breeze, just wear cleats. A bit of advice, if ya don't catch fish in 15 min, move, move and then move some more! It always seems like you drill 98 holes and it's the 99th one that is hot. Why can't it be the first one's.  ;D Good luck.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #87 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:13 AM »
Thanks for the help buddy. If you happen across an old frabill Hideout with a yellow latern case outside stop buy and say hey. never know might just be on that 99th hole.  :tipup:

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Jan 07, 2011, 07:51 AM »
toofuss, any one of the boat ramps will work. From there you can venture out where ever you want. Not much snow after the melt and pulling out is a breeze, just wear cleats. A bit of advice, if ya don't catch fish in 15 min, move, move and then move some more! It always seems like you drill 98 holes and it's the 99th one that is hot. Why can't it be the first one's.  ;D Good luck.

this is where a good GPS and chip help greatly....i usually drill about 30-50 holes and catch fish in about 80% of them....depth+structure (the right kind)=fish.   

toofuss...was planning on saturday, but the wife is dragging me to DM to the sportshow to meet the american pickers....she LOVES that show.   oh, well...maybe next week.

Offline ScaleHusker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 07, 2011, 09:03 AM »
A couple buddys and myself are gonna be on the ice Sunday. Would be a big help if a local or recent angler could tell me how much snow is on the ice. Last Sunday it was perfect for dragging, not too worried about an inch or two but it would be nice to know. Anyways good luck. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.