Author Topic: ATV question  (Read 853 times)

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV question
« on: Oct 04, 2012, 02:53 PM »
I am looking at getting a set of wheels for traveling on the ice.  I have never really looked into ATVs in the past so I have no idea what manufacturers are held as highly dependable.  Also what engine size would you recommend I will likely be just pulling my sled and have at most me and the wife on the ATV.  One last question as I plan to buy used what mileage range would you recommend?
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline eyesonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV question
« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2012, 07:31 PM »
I have had great luck with Arctic Cat 4 wheelers. I recently bought my 3rd one. Milage isn't as important as how it was taken care of. You can have one with 200 miles on it that has been half beaten to death. I just sold 2 of mine and they both had over 2800 miles on them but I changed the oil every 300 miles. For just hauling fishing stuff with you and the wife a 400cc will be plenty. 4 wheel drive is very important because of snow and slush. Good luck with your search.
FLLLLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!! GOTCHA;

Offline wyo700

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2012, 10:43 PM »
I am a Yamaha fan myself but I am sure whatever you pick will work fine for what you will using it for. And as stated before I am sure 400 cc will be plenty.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2012, 11:16 PM »
I have a $400 1983 Honda 185 three wheeler and a home made dog sled.  Have yet to try it on the ice but my wife has ridden on the sled through the yard.  You'd be surprised how few cc's you need to haul two adults and 100lbs of gear.

Offline Fatfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2012, 06:43 AM »
Like eyesonice put,buy a machine that has had care. Boy I will get in trouble with this but don't buy one from a farmer. They are used and abused. And yet some of them keep on running. Better yet,if you can afford one,buy a new one. Check them out. If you are going to keep this ATV for 10 to 15 years ,a new one is the way to go. Take care of it and it will last you a lifetime.     Jerry

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:25 AM »
I had a repair guy once tell me to ask other repair guys what models are in for repairs the most. He told me Polaris is by far the most in his shop. I have nothing against Polaris,in fact I own one which is my wifes ATV. It has been in the shop two times in two years of owning it and my 2007 Yamaha has never seen a shop. Her ATV is an older one with very few miles on it. It still has the original tires on it.
<===Lefty===

Offline thesleddinfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Summer Sucks!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:35 AM »
Like eyesonice put,buy a machine that has had care. Boy I will get in trouble with this but don't buy one from a farmer. They are used and abused. And yet some of them keep on running. Better yet,if you can afford one,buy a new one. Check them out. If you are going to keep this ATV for 10 to 15 years ,a new one is the way to go. Take care of it and it will last you a lifetime.     Jerry

It depends on the farmer. To some farmers, they are tools and those are the ones that are really abused. Some of these are really well taken care of though, but don't count on it. And to some they are toys as much as tools and these ones get pampered. A good way to tell if they're troys is if the farmer also has dirt bikes, harleys, snowmobiles, and such.

I've looked at alot of 4-wheelers, and you can usually tell how well they've been taken care of just by looking. If they look immaculate with 3000 miles they were prolly well taken care of. If they're just tools no one cares if they get scratched or dinged up.

My personal suggestion would be an older 4-wheel drive Kawasaki Bayou. Them ole girls are awesome 4-wheelers and will be cheaper too.

And dear Lord avoid the Polastics!

Offline fishin mt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 05, 2012, 07:46 AM »
Get a Honda.   It will last longer and go farther than any other brand.  My brother in law has ridden with all brands and none will do what the Honda will.  A Honda rancher is the best model

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2012, 08:13 AM »
any make wheeler will be a good 1 as long as its 1 of the major atv companies i would stay away from any of those chinese model clones or knock offs,the biggest thing buying used is how the machine was kept maintained and how much abuse the previous owner put the machine through.if you can buy new i would deff think about it and from the sounds of how you'll be using the machine you could get away with a smaller 4x4 like a 300cc witch you can find relatively cheap in the off season.

p.s. if was to recommend a brand i would go with yamaha or can am but the can ams are a bit pricey

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Oct 05, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Owned my Kawasaki Bayou for 14 years and only replaced the battery and  key switch, and both were still under warranty. It was a great machine! I now have an Arctic Cat, bought new in '03, it has been ultra reliable, has been in the shop once for a split CV joint boot, and I have replaced the battery a couple years ago, no big deal.
  I bought both of these machines to plow my drive way and haul firewood, ice fishing was the only recreational use they ever see and both machines have been great. As stated above, take care of them, service them, and they will last for many, many years!

BIGJim223

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 07, 2012, 07:04 PM »
I too have a 1988 Kawasaki Bayou, it is only 300cc and 2wd drive but I used it for years ice-fishing and she served her purpose well. Those machines are tanks I still use it at deer camp and it still runs like a top with never having any major issues. Now I have a 300cc 4x4 Arctic Cat for ice fishing, I have only had that one for about 5 years but it also seems like a solid machine.

Joe

Offline Duke M

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2012, 08:56 PM »
Kawasaki 1995 Bayou 400 and 2000 Bayou 300, both still running like new. The 400 is no trail machine though, more like a miniature tractor. I have skidded 30 foot long 14" diameter pulp logs out of the woods, pulled bogged cars out of mud holes, pulled a tow behind mower for hours. When I went to buy my first I crawled underneath all the brands and looked hard at the welds and general construction. I chose the Bayou 400 over the Honda because the rear axle was fully enclosed and it was liquid cooled. The Bayou 400 is long discontinued, but if you can find one you'll have a tank.
They don't trail ride well as they have a gear box and a shock on all four corners so the ride is stiff. They are full time 4x4 with no front differential so they steer harder, lastly I could not mount chains due to a lack of clearance by the rear brake adjusters. That said, I never got it stuck either.

Duke

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.