Author Topic: How do you carry your tip ups?  (Read 16294 times)

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
How do you carry your tip ups?
« on: Sep 10, 2016, 11:58 AM »
I currently have and old Ash pack basket but it's starting to deteriorate and am looking for a new way to carry my tipups to my fishing holes. Thinking of just doing a bucket as Im not sure I want to spend a couple hundred on a new basket. What do you fellas think?

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: How do you carry your tip ups?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2016, 02:31 PM »
I got a Loring last year, the Hardwater. No regrets.
It must be something in the water.

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2016, 02:41 PM »
I was looking at those, if i go pack basket again i may want to stay traditional though.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2016, 08:27 PM »
I have been using this bag from Cabelas, it keeps everything together and well organized.

"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2016, 08:38 PM »
How many will it hold?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2016, 09:13 PM »
How many will it hold?

Easily six Heritages, probably hold more but I don't like to cram things to avoid potential problems.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2016, 05:29 AM »
Thanks!

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2016, 04:35 PM »
I use a bucket. But I find myself untangling things at the start of every trip.  Its not the best system.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2016, 05:10 PM »
I have a home made sled with a compartment just for my tip-ups but when I'm going light I put them in a pack basket that I bought from L.L. Bean.  I put straps around the reels to keep the hooks from getting tangles no matter what way I'm carrying them and it works very well.  I got the straps at Dick's Sporting Goods and they're made by Eagle Claw, florescent orange, have a grommet for the hook, and Velcro.  If you want I can try to find them and post a picture or a link to them.

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2016, 06:56 PM »
Id appreciate it, id like to take a peek.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #11 on: Sep 16, 2016, 03:16 PM »
i put my beaver dams in a cheap ht tipup tube.has a zipper at one end and will hold 3 maybe 4 beaver dam/polar style tip ups. or probably 5 stick tip ups.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Sep 16, 2016, 07:40 PM »
They're basically the same thing as the ones that Alex posted about.  Here's a link to the Eagle Claw ones I got.  As I said I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods but I can't find them on their website, probably because it's the off season.

http://www.streiffs.com/product/eagle-claw-eagle-claw-icshk5-tip-up-spool-hook-266467-1.htm

Eagle Claw's 2016/2017 ice fishing catalog, they're on page 27 at the bottom right

https://www.eagleclaw.com/media/filer_public/63/10/63105621-9d46-4ae2-9cf3-5de994ef38a3/2016-17_ec_ice_catalog_spreads.pdf

Offline Alex Delarge

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 16, 2016, 07:57 PM »
All kinds of room, the hardwater liner comes with 5 pockets to keep traps separated. I use it camping, foraging, canoeing, snowshoeing, ice fishing,setting up deer blinds, trail cams. Said to be indestructable (within reason). Lifetime warranty. Pricey but I use it a lot.
It must be something in the water.

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 16, 2016, 08:42 PM »
I also use a trap basket. I use polyurethane to make it more weather resistant. They last a really long time.

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2016, 09:45 PM »
I want the lake wood e090 icefishing pack cost is $175 +shipping..  here is a link to it..

http://www.lakewoodproducts.com/products/E090-Ice-Pack

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2016, 11:46 PM »
If redundant forgive me.  I bought some plastic gutter downspout at HD for cheap.  Cut it to length about 14-16" (for Beaver Dams). Ripped out a slot of about 20% on one of the wide sides and then used two tiers of zip ties to attach them inside a 5G bucket (drill holes in bucket wall) Think clam shell grips on inner wall of the bucket. Slide 4 Traps in and still have room for a lot of other junk in the bucket like pux, hem stats, dipper etc.  We can only run two lines pp here in CO but it's nice to carry enough for the group or to have backup readily available if one gets thrashed. 

Offline nws6373

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2016, 12:53 PM »
I did similar as Baetis. Only I put the plastic downspouts in a milk crate with zip ties. I then have enough room in the center for a plano box that has my tackle and small gear.

Offline NorthNH603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2016, 01:03 PM »
I like that Loring the more and more I see it.

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 20, 2016, 12:59 PM »
I bought one of these tip-up bags on clearance at the end of the Season at Cabelas.  Holds 5 beaverdam style tip-ups and the mesh back allows drainage of melting snow/ice.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Tip-Up-Bag/1386431.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dtip%2Bup%2Bbag%26CQ_st%3Db

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Sep 20, 2016, 01:05 PM »
I also use a trap basket. I use polyurethane to make it more weather resistant. They last a really long time.

Does the polyurethane crack after a while?  I was going to use that on mine in the beginning but I changed my mind and gave it a few coats of boiled linseed oil, no problems and it looks great.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #21 on: Sep 24, 2016, 10:45 AM »
in a 6 gallon bucket,as tip ups thaw out they bleed water some times a quart :o.i just dump out water and also i bring in house every trip one time you dont they will freeze on you it aint fun trying to thaw out on the ice >:( >:( :'( :'(
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Sep 29, 2016, 10:32 AM »
Bart,
Do you have the model of that bag from Cabelas?  Thanks.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:00 PM »
I made a rocket launcher ( 6 tip ups) set up from 1 1/2" PVC ...it also has 3- 1" PVC holders for my jig rods.... the PVC is mounted on maple stringers and a modified "L" bracket on each corner secures it to any set up/system I have. by slipping the brackets over an edge..it  allows me to easily take the set up from Sled to one man pop up sled or onto the back of my wheeler... this versatility allows me to bring the entire rack indoors to dry out.../ did the bucket thing... did the home made sled thing...did the pack basket thing... it took almost 40 years of trial and error to come up with this system.... it'll be the last one I have...I'll take some pictures and get someone to post them up if there is interest...
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 30, 2016, 12:15 PM »
Please post some pics.
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:22 PM »
bart, what brand of tipups are those?

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #27 on: Sep 30, 2016, 07:33 PM »
bart, what brand of tipups are those?

Heritage Lakers, I did a paint job on them and added a little reflective tape for visibility.
  Keep America Godly...

Offline bldfrt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 08, 2016, 08:18 PM »
I picked up a tip up locker I think it's called that fits a bucket I plan to try this year. it holds 6 beaver dams or other plus has a couple holes molded to hold a few odds and ends like a scoop and gaf and hemos and stuff. Couldn't tell you how great it is till the winter rolls around but I have high hopes

Offline aquarium234

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Oct 27, 2016, 07:41 AM »
If you or your gal are handy with a sewing machine, Walmart has a tuff pvc backed fabric, We just made pouches on the top and bottom of a rectangle, to slide the tip up (heritage/low flyers) into. I have two straps from repurposed rachete straps attached to some plastic clips on the outside back. Place tip ups in and roll up it up. Keeps them from tangling and I can fish 10 to 15 tip ups. per bag,  They hold up pretty well. weve taken to clipping on one of our trebles barbs on all tip ups to prevent our  hooks from becoming imbedded into our reels. we haven't lost any more fish this way so it works pretty good.
Its all fun and games until someone loses a walleye.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.