Author Topic: Burbot in NY  (Read 24737 times)

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
Burbot in NY
« on: Jan 15, 2006, 12:28 PM »
There are Burbot in Lake Ontario.  My place of employment has a water intake in 60 feet of water in Lake Ontario.  Every winter burbot show up in the intake filters.  Last year I found a 36" burbot that was dead in the filters.  I would love to find out how to catch them out of Lake Ontario.

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Burbot in NY
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2006, 05:31 PM »
They are alsofound in Champlain, they live on the bottom so I would say fishing baits close to the bottom would work maybe even dead bait laying right on the bottom. Somewhere on here I read that guys  catch them while lake trout fishing on champlain

good luck if and when you go

FK
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2006, 07:29 PM »
Hey team NY.... is there ice up on Champlain? where do we get those burbots?

I heard they are good kissers?    :cookoo: :sick:

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:22 AM »
Dead burbot.....36"...........water intake.....filters?????  I think I'll have a coke :sick:
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 06:15 PM »
Gambell, here in NH, cusk is a major gamefish in the winter. many people use white or glowhead bucktails with a peice of cut sucker to sweeten the jig up. what ive had great luck with this year is a size 3 glow in the dark swedish pimple. also tipped with a little peice of sucker. hope this helps!

-Dave

ps, at night is the best time for them!
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Do guys actually catch them in Onieda I know they bite best through the ice but never really heard of anyone targeting them on Onieda
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

billybono

« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2006, 09:31 AM »
Do guys actually catch them in Onieda I know they bite best through the ice but never really heard of anyone targeting them on Onieda

iv e never heard of anyone targeting em....but ive seen the ice littered with em

billybono

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2006, 03:55 PM »
Yes, on Oneida, really.
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

billybono

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Gambell, here in NH, cusk is a major gamefish in the winter. many people use white or glowhead bucktails with a peice of cut sucker to sweeten the jig up. what ive had great luck with this year is a size 3 glow in the dark swedish pimple. also tipped with a little peice of sucker. hope this helps!

-Dave

ps, at night is the best time for them!
whenever ive caught em.....its always at the end of the day, picking up tip ups.....there is a sleeping ling who swallowed the bait

billybono

Offline kwiky364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:04 AM »
ive never even herd of them ???.  would like to catch one.  can thay be eatin ???.  are thay like a bowfin ???.  cought one of them and tried to clean it.  when i cut into it all the meat mushed out like jello :sick:.  what depths do thay hang out at.  would appreciate any info on them. :tipup:

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:12 AM »
I really want to get to Oneida or Champlain to target them this year.  Any of you north country guys want to do some burbot fishin?  I want to catch some, to add to my list of species caught.  The state record came out of Black River Harbor, so it would also be worth trying, although with Chaumont Bay.

-Zach

billybono

« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2006, 09:58 PM »
and i just remembered the other day doing some open water pike fishing that i saw a 30 incher come out of the fair haven park pond in the spring a few years back....i was fishing the same spot wenesday and was hoping to tangle with one but no such luck

billybono

Offline percheyes42

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 25, 2006, 07:58 PM »
Springtime is a good time of year to pick them up on Oeida Lake. I've caught a couple while I was bullhead fishing at night. I've also seen a lot of them caught by other people while bullhead fishing there. As for icefishing, I've seen loads of them come off Godfrey's State Boat Launch in Cleveland, NY. Mostly around the Catfish Hole, which is the deepest part of Oneida Lake.

I have been hunting or fishing almost everyday of my life. The rest have been wasted.

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:23 PM »
i want to go after some burbot this year any tips on what to use for bait on my tip-ups.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2006, 06:31 PM »
I really want to get to Oneida or Champlain to target them this year.  Any of you north country guys want to do some burbot fishin?  I want to catch some, to add to my list of species caught.  The state record came out of Black River Harbor, so it would also be worth trying, although with Chaumont Bay.

-Zach

Zach..I know this is a repsonse to an old post..but let me know and we'll give it a shot in Chaumont Bay..I'll get some info on where to atrget them there....Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #15 on: Nov 09, 2006, 07:59 AM »
Esox- I'm definitely up for that!  Already looking forward to it!  :tipup:

-Zach

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2006, 06:38 PM »
live shiners right on the bottom works well here or like i said, jigging at night with a bucktail or pimple. something that glows and some sucker/shiner meat. In the next few days ill take pics of my burbot(cusk, lawyer) traps

-Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline perchking4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Anyone cathing any Burbot this year out of Champlain or any other NY waters?

Offline bigfish_1556

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2008, 03:06 PM »
Dumbed into a couple on Oneida last weekend, using minnow heads on decent sized jigs while fishing 'eyes. I think the fact that I was chumming with the excess minnow parts didn't hurt either :)  Hmmmm.   Got some nice, clean, white fillets. Not as firm as a walleye, for sure, more reminiscent of catfish fillets in texture.  I know they're ugly (actually I think their mottled coloration is pretty cool), but why waste a nice chunk of meat by throwing it on the ice for the gulls?  Check out this link:  http://www.fishalaskamagazine.com/fish/Burbot.htm

Good luck!
"A man is only as big as that which makes him angry" -Adlai Stevenson

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 29, 2008, 08:51 PM »
Bigfish,
 Just started keeping the wonderfully delicious Burbot...I ignorantly watched people throw the fish onto the Oneida Lake ice for years and until I got onto this thread never realized how good table fare they really are...They are easy to clean and using tip Downs on Oneida I can almost guarantee catching a few every time out....Targeting them is fairly simple on Oneida..Deep and cold ...I find them at the 34 degree temp they are the most active...Oneida Lake is slowly warming up every year and in 5 years you won't find them any more...It is sad that I just discovered how good they are...for the few Oneida lake fishermen that might read...........this thread..burbot colored jigs in the early season are deadly for walleyes...

Lota lota

Fish.it
.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2008, 11:05 AM »
yup them guys can be found on almost anydeep holes in Oneida i had one not fit through my 6" hole the head stuck in and spit my Rapala jig out
i caught a few this year targeting walleye,well i catch a few every year targeting walleye but i can say usually if the burbots are coming around there isnt to many perch or walleye around thats when i know its time to move but all i tip my jigs with mostly is the minnow head
rapala jig medium black and silver or medium size swedish pimples all tipped with minnow heads
this year marks the first time ive tried to eat one and not at all bad to eat luike stated above they are slimmy fillets bud prepared right will give it just enough texture to were the flavor overcomes the softness
boil it in some saltwater and its great acually,not only is it good to eat get one around 6-7lbs and its a great fight through the ice!
talk about thinkin you have a monster eye on ;D

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Anyone catching any on Oneida yet this year?  I'm thinking of targeting them for a day...

Offline Fishbio824

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Has anybody ever seen these things spawn in the summer? They lay in the weeds right up on shore. The body color is bright greenish blue. Next to that slimy algae, they sure dont look very appetizing.
Caught quite a few on Oneida through the years through the ice, and it always is a little disapointing to see them, hoping that it was a walleye of that size!!!
Never tried eating them

Offline BlueDaksi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:06 AM »
Has anybody ever seen these things spawn in the summer? They lay in the weeds right up on shore. The body color is bright greenish blue. Next to that slimy algae, they sure dont look very appetizing.
Caught quite a few on Oneida through the years through the ice, and it always is a little disapointing to see them, hoping that it was a walleye of that size!!!
Never tried eating them

Burbot are unusual in that they spawn during the wintertime.  They also tend to go deep during the warmer times of the year.  Could it be that what you are seeing in the summer in the shallows are bowfin (also called dogfish)?  They are similar in general shape to the burbot.  Just wondering.

I'm very interested in burbot and would love to catch one through the ice - Looks like Oneida is the nearest spot where I could find them.

Offline Fishbio824

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2010, 01:08 PM »

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2010, 04:54 PM »
My fishin' partner got one this morning about 24''.  Came on a tube jig tipped with a fathead.  24 fow.
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:22 PM »
was that on oneida? i really want to catch one. just watched a video called burbot street and they were using huge cut bait on minnows and bouncing them on the bottum, then when they felt a bump they would raise it about a foot and catch them...i want one or a bunch lol
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2011, 07:33 AM »

There are burbot in Oneida.  Got this one in around 20 fow on a tip up fishing for walleye.  Was a nice size fish.  Heard they are edible but to be honest.....it looked a little freaky and I decided to release him.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2011, 04:00 PM »
they are the only fresh water cod species in ny, supposed to be quite tasty. most people think they are junk fish and kill them, happy you released as they might one day be extinct due to global warming.
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline Jhellabyjr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 17, 2016, 12:02 AM »
will someone please help me target this species this ice season

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.