Author Topic: clams as bait  (Read 2204 times)

Offline akriverrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on step baby!!
clams as bait
« on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:03 PM »
has anyone ever used clams for bait ice fishing for burbot? the lake im fishing to my knowledge has no whitefish but has long nose suckers according to fish and game. one of the lake trout i gutted the other day had what appeared to be a snail foot in its gut. do you guys think the burbot are eating these snails as well? the herring i used and everyone else uses is not producing. what do you think the burbot are eating in that lake? i think i will bring some clam meat the next time i go ice fishing to this lake along with some whitefish.
summers over i finally get to do some fishin!

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: clams as bait
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2008, 11:36 PM »
Bring some Tabasco sauce too in case the clams dont work...make a tasty treat for lunch.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2008, 12:02 AM »
Used smoked oysters once for trout.had`nt been catching anything so thought what the heck as I was sitting there eating a can of smoked oysters,stuck one on the hook and limited out in an hour or so. :)

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2008, 03:03 AM »
Riverrat it would be worth a try!  Maybe some cheap steamers right out of the shell may be the ticket...  I have caught burbot and char with quite a few snails in the stomach contents.  Perhaps the smell of the clams would be similar to that of the illusive snail?  On another note, you said suckers were present in those waters?  I would guarantee those burbs are snacking on suckers regularly!  I have caught several burbot with suckers and whitefish lodged in their craw.  I guess the trick is finding what the burbot within that lake are hitting on, and get your hands on it.  My guess is suckers, cisco, whitefish, snails, and blackfish.  You "may" want to try some squid for bait as well, they love it! ;)
-barleydog
TEAM ALASKA

Offline akriverrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • on step baby!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:23 PM »
yea barleydog i was thinking bringing them out in the shell and shuck as needed would be best. gonna grab some whitefish from b&Js next time i go out and ill give the squid a try too.
summers over i finally get to do some fishin!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2008, 04:23 AM »
Let us know how you do!  Did you jig for them?  Try the large halibut scampi jigs in double glow tipped with bait... ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.