Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: J_Jaacks got a question for you.  (Read 928 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
J_Jaacks got a question for you.
« on: Dec 11, 2008, 09:07 PM »
J_Jaacks,

Just was wondering if you've ever fished the two small ponds just on the north side of Alton? I did a little open water fishing from shore about 2 years about and caught a few crappie, and some bass. I heard thought that last winter, a winter kill occured and killed off some of the fish. Thought maybe this would help to increase the size of the remaining crappie due to the lack of competition. Was thinking of giving it a try. Someone mentioned the gravel pits down by carnes, but I've never given them a try. Just wondered if you've ever checked/heard anything about these spots?

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: J_Jaacks got a question for you.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:08 PM »
I went fishing with Harlan from 4 Season last Friday and we went through there.  I asked him about the one on the south side and he said that it wasn't too bad.  I think, boy I am struggling, that he said the ones on the north(by the campground) did freeze hard last winter. He also pointed out some pits down by Carnes and said that it used to be good, but has been pressured and there isn't much in it anymore. I am trying to remember this, and maybe be off. I would give him a call and quiz him. He did explain it to me, but we did a lot of story telling, so it is hard to remember.

I myself have not fished any of them so this is all here say. I think that the one on the south end of Alton would be a nice one to try.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2008, 10:24 PM »
I've hit Douma Park over by Sanborn, which is an old gravel pit and have been having some luck. Gills aren't to bad for size either. I was told they brought half the fish from paullina to it about 2 years ago when the DNR redid the paullina lake. Caught some crappie, gills,perch and bass. Seen a couple nice cats to, but couldn't get them to bite. Last year I tried the pond between boyden and George, only thing I could find in it though was about 2 inch gills. Do you know if you can fish at the one south of Sioux Center with all of the houses around it? Or is that just a private deal for the home owners.

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2008, 10:39 PM »
Sioux Center is kinda getting out of the area for me. I am not familar with that area much. Have you tried Paulina in the winter? We went camping there this summer. The gills were small but did not disappoint in their willingness to bite.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 03:34 AM »
Haven't fish Paullina due to them redoing the lake recently. Haven't heard of many people catching much outta there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.