Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Shucks Pilki's are my new favorite.  (Read 4589 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Shucks Pilki's are my new favorite.
« on: Nov 29, 2008, 06:26 PM »
Well,
Friday about 1:30 myself and a couple friends got out on a small pond that is less then an acre. Had 3.5inches of measured Ice. I couldn't believe how many gills and crappie of good to average size we saw on the camera. We caught a couple bluegill, but most of them had lock jaw. Crazy, I had a few pilki spoons with the dropper chain, which I got from shucks a year or two ago. I never really used them till yesterday. Couldn't get the fish to bite on anything except a pilki with the droper. After using them, I fell in love with the pilki's and order a couple more online.

On another note, is there anything a guy can use to catch a crappie besides a minnow. Couldn't eve get them to look at the wax worms or spikes.

Offline cubby

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Shucks Pilki's are my new favorite.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2008, 11:01 PM »
I have had good luck with ratso's for both gills and crappies.  The ratso's work sometimes to when nothing else will.  I need to try some Pilkis I have in my tackle box.  Where can a guy buy those dropper chains for other lures if anyone knows....

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2008, 11:18 PM »
about the crappies biting i use whats called a cicada.  its like a sonar lure but i use the 1/16 ounce and tip it with waxies or spikes or mousies.  just something i found that works.  another is the old faithful sweedish pimple.  both good day time baits for crappies.  at night i use minnows only and have the best luck.
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2008, 11:29 PM »
I have had good luck with ratso's for both gills and crappies.  The ratso's work sometimes to when nothing else will.  I need to try some Pilkis I have in my tackle box.  Where can a guy buy those dropper chains for other lures if anyone knows....

I tried ratso's the other day and they wouldn't work. If your looking for those dropper chains for other lures, they have them avalibile at shuckslures.com but they seem a little expensive.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2008, 08:13 AM »
Seems like when the fish have lockjaw horizontal lures work best for some reason.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2008, 09:52 AM »
Tried ratso's, genz worm, and the northland horizontal jigs. Nothing. Only the pilki caught fish.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2008, 10:40 AM »
My go to for tightlipped pannies is the smallest bro bug with a waxie t-boned.  Cant member if its 1/32 or 1/64th.  With 2lb pline and a good spring bobber.  A few things that have worked for me too is smashing up the waxie a little bit kinda just looks like a glob on your hook.  I dunno if its the scent or the curiosity factor but that sometimes will trigger them.  Or going with small wet flys something like youd use in the trout streams.  And if all that fails theres always dynamite ;)

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2008, 01:58 PM »
My go to for tightlipped pannies is the smallest bro bug with a waxie t-boned.  Cant member if its 1/32 or 1/64th.  With 2lb pline and a good spring bobber.  A few things that have worked for me too is smashing up the waxie a little bit kinda just looks like a glob on your hook.  I dunno if its the scent or the curiosity factor but that sometimes will trigger them.  Or going with small wet flys something like youd use in the trout streams.  And if all that fails theres always dynamite ;)
i bet its the scent, its the same if you smash a crayfish a little for catfish or walleye.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:02 PM »
I ordered 5 pilkis from shucks on line store. Delivery was super fast, and on the recipt they wrote a note thanking me for my order and threw in a 6th pilki at no charge. Thought that was super cool of them.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2008, 10:10 PM »
They  are made and sold in Milford, all the local shops have them for sale around here. Charlies a great guy and makes a good bait.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2008, 10:11 PM »
I ordered 5 pilkis from shucks on line store. Delivery was super fast, and on the recipt they wrote a note thanking me for my order and threw in a 6th pilki at no charge. Thought that was super cool of them.

It was sweet knocked off work at 2:30 today, and hit a local gravel pit. a good 5-6in of ice on it. I only took the pilkis along for tackel since I wanted to travel light. The Free pilki they sent me was on fire. Caught 10-15 bluegill, 4-5 crappie, 1 perch, and 4-5 bass. Wish I would have used these earlier in my ice fishing career.  :icefish:

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2008, 07:02 AM »
hey ag do you have a pic of what these wonder baits look like?  sounds like they are treating you right
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline carpdoctor

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Springville,IA
« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:09 PM »
If u look up a few posts there is a link.  I didn't see anything with the Pilki's name on the page I assume they r talking about the minnows listed on the page.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2008, 05:19 PM »
True name for the lure is Shucks Jigger.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2008, 10:06 PM »
hey ag do you have a pic of what these wonder baits look like?  sounds like they are treating you right

Couldn't find a photo that I could attach. But here is the link shuckslures.com

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2008, 12:22 AM »
Sports Authority has dropper chains and a lot of the time our stuff is on clearance because we have so little of ice fishing stuff left. Infact I remember seeing them today and we had at least 5-6 things of two.

Offline chiroeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:44 PM »
What is the best way to fish these baits? I just ordered a couple to give them a try.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2008, 05:06 PM »
I like to pound them on the bottom to stir it up then jig it up off the bottom. Sometimes they will go down in the muck and suck them up. Waxies, minnow or minnow head my prefered bait.

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:30 PM »
I ordered a few as well.  It sounds like this guy is selling some lures after the posts ;)  Any colors seem better for gills/ crappie?  I was wondering the best way to fish them as well so thanks for the info.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:27 PM »
I bought quite a few of the glow ones. Haven't tried them at night yet, but thought they would kick some but for the night bite with crappie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.