Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Thick Ice is hard to drill!!!!  (Read 3163 times)

arrowhead

Thick Ice is hard to drill!!!!
« on: Jan 25, 2004, 09:19 PM »
Today, I took my dad ice fishing for the first time. Wasn't the best day. The ice was 9 inches or so..... a pain in the butt to drill! It took us about 15 minutes to drill one hole. So we ended up dirlling just to hole because it was to hard and it killed our arms with my hand auger!
How do u guys drill holes when its this thick with a hand auger?  It was so bad im going to look for places where the ice isn't so thick.

arrowhead

buzzdpm

Re:Thick Ice is hard to drill!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2004, 11:21 PM »
That's a lot of work for one hole.  A couple things to check.  How sharp are your blades?  For $5-$7 you can get your blades professionally sharpened at local baitstores.  If you use the standard Mora ice auger this sharpening will last at least 10 times on the ice, probably longer.  If you have a Lazor auger the sharpening will last even longer.  The larger the auger, the harder it is to drill.  I prefer a 6" auger, anything larger and sharp blades are a must.  Even with dull blades a 5 or 6" drill shouldn't be that bad.  If you have an adjustable auger, try lowering it, being able to put some body weight on the auger really helps it chew through the ice.  It doesn't help that there is no snow cover to help give some friction to stand on also.   Good luck.

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:53 AM »
I agree with the 5-6 inch auger.  If you have 50 bucks to spend a lazor is diffently the way to go!  I have a 5inch auger and would prefer a 6 since I have a transducer in the hole too.  gets to be a pain especially when you're pulling in those circling gills when they twirl your line around the cord.  

Offline arctic6008

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2004, 04:58 PM »
Sounds like you have a mora auger. Had one the same way couldn't keep a blade sharp. I decided to go with a 6 inch lazor best money I ever spent. I've had it for years with the same set of blades, no sharpening yet, and it still cuts a hole fast.

arrowhead

« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2004, 08:00 PM »
I have a 6 inch auger, with month old blades on them. I'm guessing I've drilled about 20 to 30 holes with them. Should they be getting dull already?

Offline lebruce

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2004, 09:24 PM »
arrowhead do you have the blue mora auger ? If so save money fast and buy a black lazor ! The ice is only going to get thicker and your just going to get worn out trying to drill holes. lol

Mr Waleye

« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2004, 06:57 PM »
 Just buy a power auger jiffy  :)

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2004, 08:10 PM »
Buy a Jiffy gas auger.

UP XPLANT

« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2004, 09:51 PM »
I found the secret to getting Mora augers to really cut fast.  Use 1" longer blades than the frame size.  I have a 7" frame with 8" blades.  I would estimate I can cut 2 holes in 12" of ice in a little over a minute.  I have a Pirhana power auger, but if the ice is less that 16", I don't even mess with it.

arrowhead

« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2004, 10:14 PM »
I would love to have an power aguer. But this being my first year of ice fishing and saving for college, I can only afford a hand auger.  Right now I don't have any exspensive ice fishing stuff, and I'm producing alot of fish so I can't really complain. I'm going to get a blade sharpener and see how that goes.

arrowhead

Bullschwantz

« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:35 PM »
Search under "ice auger" on ebay and look for the cordless drill adapter.  My father-in-law and I fashioned a similar one.  We have a 6" Mora and an 18 volt Dewalt will put it through 12 inches of ice in about 10 sec.  You must have sharp blades and keep the batteries warm.  We drill 5 holes for our shack in no time!  Haven't noticed any adverse wear on the drill either as some have mentioned.  A lot cheaper and not as smelly/noisy as a gas auger.

arrowhead

Re: Thick Ice is hard to drill!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2004, 08:49 PM »
solved the problem! Bought a Lazer auger and is is awesome!!!! Cuts a hole in 15 seconds or so in 9 inches of ice. That sure beats 5 to 10 minutes!

arrowhead

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.