Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Yellow Bass Bonanza  (Read 4914 times)

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yellow Bass Bonanza
« on: Jan 31, 2020, 11:17 AM »
Is anyone on here doing the YBB next weekend.
This will be my third one. A little concerned this year. I’m yet to catch a yellow through the ice this season.

Offline Figure ate

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Yellow Bass Bonanza
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Didn't sign up due to the collapsed yellow bass population

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2020, 05:25 PM »
Why has the yellow bass population collapsed ?

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2020, 08:42 PM »
They were very easy to catch for a few years and a majority of the population was taken out.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2020, 04:18 AM »
This is our first year. We have not caught one up there this year yet either. Even last year we could catch them evey time we went out. Now its a ton of 4 inch yellow perch. Will still be a fun tournament though.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2020, 11:35 AM »
I will be there once again...year #6 I think for us.

Biologists in that area have stated that there were a couple year classes that did not spawn well, thus the missing the 6-9 inch fish.  Will be rough for a couple years, but should bounce back well. 
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2020, 09:35 PM »
Well im super excited now. The fishing may be down but im sure the experience is going to be awesome! Tomorrow cannot go fast enough!

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2020, 08:27 PM »
I’m here in Clear a lake at the hotel waiting on tomorrow for the pre-fish!

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2020, 09:44 AM »
Hopefully a decent amount of those 4" perch in Clear Lake now hit 10" in a couple years. Then no one would care if the yellow bass population bounces back or not.

They are fun to catch and OK eating, but it would be better for the perch and other panfish in Clear Lake if the yellow bass numbers stayed low.
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2020, 11:42 AM »
Never did hear how the BONANZA went ? Was hoping someone would chime in and let us know ?

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2020, 08:51 PM »
Tournament went well. It was another great year for the YBB. Looming forward to next year b

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:16 PM »
Another great event, just over 190 teams.  Not sure of overall prize value but it was pretty amazing, including a brand new Ranger UTV for one lucky team.  It ended up being a father/son team.  Kid couldn't have been much over 10 years old, pretty neat to see!

The fish catches were down, as expected but I would assume most going into the event knew that.  I feel that is the main reason attendance was down about 100 teams too. 

Next year the lake should be full of 8-9 inchers, which will bring back the swarms of people again to the region.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:29 PM »
Swarms of people for 8-9" yellow bass? Ufda, what are they missing from their lives?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2020, 02:41 PM »
The crowd wasn’t down because of the yellow bass, the crowd is down because many teams are getting sick of the costs for the tourney. Everything goes up every other year. The entry fee is up, the cost of tables are up, the raffles at the bash are getting ridiculously expensive. It cost a team 4-500 easy for an entry fee, fuel, lodging, the bash. All for what? A 2-500 dollar prize if you’re lucky? You could just not enter and buy the dang prize. It’s just not worth it anymore. I know of plenty of people, myself included, that are getting sick of the expanding cost. We can go to SD for a weekend and spend less money doing so. That’s why attendance is down. It’s beginning to be a poo show.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:32 PM »
The crowd wasn’t down because of the yellow bass, the crowd is down because many teams are getting sick of the costs for the tourney. Everything goes up every other year. The entry fee is up, the cost of tables are up, the raffles at the bash are getting ridiculously expensive. It cost a team 4-500 easy for an entry fee, fuel, lodging, the bash. All for what? A 2-500 dollar prize if you’re lucky? You could just not enter and buy the dang prize. It’s just not worth it anymore. I know of plenty of people, myself included, that are getting sick of the expanding cost. We can go to SD for a weekend and spend less money doing so. That’s why attendance is down. It’s beginning to be a poo show.

I kind of enjoyed it being a lithe smaller.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2020, 05:44 PM »
I went in knowing the numbers were down. I like to eat yellow bass so i would luv to go smack the heck outta 8-10 inch bass!

We fished some smaller tourneys and then the yellow bass bonanza. It was our first time fishing tournaments. I have to admit the smaller ones seemed more fun. Im not bashing the bonanza at all it had great food and good times. However, we can fish a couple smaller tourneys for the money spent at clear lake this weekend.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:13 PM »
Another thing is the way they do the payouts. It should be first place to whenever they run out of prizes. Say top 50 or so. But it’s 1st-25th, then 30th, 35th, and so on. It’s no fun placing 26th and going home empty handed. Been there done that...

Door prizes used to be great at the bash. Almost everyone went home with something. Now it all goes to the kids who are there. And all the lady’s who are entered. Most door prizes are given to the tournament for free by the sponsors. Same for the tourney prizes.  IMO, the amount of money that goes into it, doesn’t come back out. The tourney used to fill up in a month. I’ve been to all of them but the last two. It’s not what it used to be.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:40 PM »
Another thing is the way they do the payouts. It should be first place to whenever they run out of prizes. Say top 50 or so. But it’s 1st-25th, then 30th, 35th, and so on. It’s no fun placing 26th and going home empty handed. Been there done that...

Door prizes used to be great at the bash. Almost everyone went home with something. Now it all goes to the kids who are there. And all the lady’s who are entered. Most door prizes are given to the tournament for free by the sponsors. Same for the tourney prizes.  IMO, the amount of money that goes into it, doesn’t come back out. The tourney used to fill up in a month. I’ve been to all of them but the last two. It’s not what it used to be.

If you haven’t been to the last two tournaments, how do you know it’s not like it used to be? Sounds like you never liked it.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2020, 09:56 PM »
If you haven’t been to the last two tournaments, how do you know it’s not like it used to be? Sounds like you never liked it.
Have you been to the first six of them or only the last few?...
They aren’t what they used to be.

I used to love it, we looked forward to it every year. The entry fee kept going up, the cost of a table kept going up. The prizes went down. We lost interest. As did many others.

We placed third one year and got a 300 dollar prize. Split between the two of us. Half of the items that are won end up for sale on FB new in box. Sure, some prizes are good. But the vast majority of them, you wouldn’t want. You’d rather have the money. The prizes aren’t that great for the most part. Like I said, for the amount of money it cost, I’d rather go somewhere else. There’s good reason as to why it used to fill up by the end of November, and now it doesn’t come close to filling up. If you enjoy it, then keep on doing it. I’ll pass. To each their own.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:28 PM »
To each their own for sure. 

I pay $200 to play the game and go to an ice fishing banquet and see people I only see at this event.  This was my 6th year going and considering the smaller field the prizes were as good or better than in the past.  They actually gave out more for 1st place then ever before...by a long ways.  Do you get prizes at times that you necessarily would not buy...sure, sell them and take your cash as someone stated.  There are never any surprises at this event, each angler should know exactly what they are signing up for. 

I also think that too many people forget that this isn't a "tournament", where you pay to play and win money.  The YBB is an event to showcase the lake, educate about the yellow bass, showcase ice fishing and equipment, and to have a good time.   

Again, to each their own, but I don't see the need to bash on things that others find fun.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:19 PM »
I hope it did not come off as i was bashing it that was not my intent. Heck it was my first time and i did come home with something from the banquet.

As an inside joke to anyone at the banquet, maybe next year they should give away a...... snowbear?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:28 PM »
Make sure to include your winnings on your taxes. I know a guy who won $1000 in a tournament and they have him a $1000 worth of DT and tail dancer lures. Haha, paying $300 for leftover junk didn't sit well with him.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:46 PM »
I hope it did not come off as i was bashing it that was not my intent. Heck it was my first time and i did come home with something from the banquet.

As an inside joke to anyone at the banquet, maybe next year they should give away a...... snowbear?

That dude was standing next to my table... wow

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:40 PM »
I've always said why eat yellow bass when you can eat crappie and walleye ?

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 13, 2020, 06:06 AM »
He was next tou us to Bryfish. Well like 2 tables over.

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 13, 2020, 12:14 PM »

YES...SNOBEARS for everyone!!!! LOL

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2020, 12:21 PM »
Snowdogs are far more reasonable.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2020, 01:10 AM »
Swarms of people for 8-9" yellow bass? Ufda, what are they missing from their lives?

Lmao.... That is kinda what I was thinking. I hope nobody put any of those yellow bass back. The DNR could only hope the yellow bass collapse continued in clear lake so the perch, crappie, and gills could get better established.

Unfortunately those evasive yellow bass will probly rebound fairly quick...

I absolutley HATE the yellow bass.....almost has much as white bass.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.