Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Briggs Woods  (Read 993 times)

Offline Albiaoutdoors44

• IceShanty Rookie
Briggs Woods
« on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:11 PM »
Does this lake see much pressure, since Brushy is so close? What areas should I target on this lake and what can I realistically expect to catch (if they're biting of course).

Offline icyclone

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Briggs Woods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:45 PM »
it doesn't get hit too heavily, a few people are pretty committed to it every winter but there isn't ever too large a number.  realistically, you're looking at some small to fair sized bluegills, I've never been able to find the crappie there in the winter

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:14 PM »
i think there is some cover placed in it. brush piles or maybe pallets. maybe someone else can help you more. try a search or look back through the iowa threads.

Offline THUNDERICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Hamilton County Conservation website has a lake map a the bottom of the page in pdf format that has gps coordinates.  If you don't have a gps you can probably get pretty close by eyeballing it.

http://www.mycountyparks.com/county/Hamilton/Park/Briggs-Woods-Park-and-Golf-Course.aspx

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2013, 12:28 PM »
the structure marked on the map is stake beds... over the last few years brushpiles have been added, plus there's always the weeds
to save you some time, look for gills in the brushpiles (nice gills avg about 8" here)... crappie in the basin, and perch in the weeds...that about covers it.

Offline Wald0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2013, 02:34 PM »
I was on Briggs for about 2 hours today off the west fishing jettie. pulled up 6 perch in the 6-8 inch range

Offline Albiaoutdoors44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2013, 04:00 PM »
How thick is the ice?

Offline Wald0

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2013, 01:48 PM »
the 3 holes I drilled were a little over 7 inches on west side.....someone has been off the north boat ramp with a car....they did donuts all over it  ::)....but I haven't measured over there.

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2013, 02:12 PM »
North ramp is 10"+

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.