Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Brushy Creek  (Read 9390 times)

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brushy Creek
« Reply #30 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:29 PM »
I would NOT drive a truck out there ATV yes truck NO.

This might help....  http://duncombegg.com/

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 29, 2009, 07:59 PM »
I would NOT drive a truck out there ATV yes truck NO.

This might help....  http://duncombegg.com/

I didn't think so but a friend thought we could. He was at clear lake today and said trucks everywhere.
Beginner -- any advice is appreciated!

Offline Adam05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:20 PM »
Anyone having any luck since the big storm on Chistmas?  Any size, number, etc?  Still tryin to find the honeyhole this year.

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:33 PM »
Anyone having any luck since the big storm on Chistmas?  Any size, number, etc?  Still tryin to find the honeyhole this year.

I never went, plans got changed and waited till the weekend and hit clear lake instead.
Beginner -- any advice is appreciated!

Offline reddiwhip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Rob
« Reply #34 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Fish Date: 12/29

Pulled in 25 blue gill just west of RP22 (check link below).  15 were keepers.  Hitting on waxies.  Fish were a just off the bottom but they were also suspended.  Fish hit best between 3-5.  Drilled around 60 holes between the three of us.  Need to move with the fish. 

Only a few inches of snow on the ice.  Easy pull.  Did see a few four wheelers and S-10 pickups on the ice.  I would say there is about 8 inches. 

http://www.iowadnr.gov/fish/fishing/lakes/maps/brc94.pdf

Good Luck
Why can't I just go to work and think that I've been fishing all day?

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Anyone driving full size trucks on brushy yet?

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:18 AM »
i saw a guy out there with a ford ranger and a trailer but i wouldnt have tried it.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:32 AM »
that would be mike...the owner of duncombe g&g...if he's driving...it's safe...really safe....

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Jan 09, 2010, 07:19 AM »
Cool, Ill have to see, I think there are a couple gravel roads that give access to a fishing Jetty there on the east side. They will get me a little closer rather then walkin from the north ramp. Ill report back how we do.

Offline kauffman_matt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:48 PM »
I talked to Mike last weekend.  He told me that he was comfortable driving a small truck on the ice but was a little leary of full sized trucks yet.

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:43 PM »
there were full sized trucks driving on the lake today pulling wheel house fishing was pretty good today perch were biting and bluegills cleaned 14 perch and 9 gills i dont remember how to put pics on here can email if someone would like to see them

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Made it to the lake about noon, there was alot of trucks on the Ice, saw a 1 ton dulley out there. Hit a couple spots with 25-30 foot  didn't catch anything moved to a spot with about 19 foot and did well. Not sure if it was the depth or just the time of day but bites were so fast we had a hard time manageing two rods. Any of you that were there we were fishing on the north end abut 30 yards towards shore from the Red shack with the pirate flag. Hoping to make it back up this weekend

Offline IceMan*Holm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Hows the evening bite at brushy? Anything going after the sun goes down? That seems to be the only time I can make it out >:(

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:44 PM »
Buddy and I caught 30 nice gils one crappie and one perch in an hour between 330p and 430p then it just stoped. Hopin to go back this weekend we well see if the trend continues

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2010, 12:12 AM »
was able to drive all over the lake today...all over, best bit i'm finding seems to be the 10am to 2pm bite...but then again that's when i fish the most...finally starting to get into some nice 12"+ crappies...gills are running a solid 8-9" this year, and there's more perch out there than i've ever seen in the lake...at least the 'eyes will be well fed.....anyway anyone wants specifics, shoot me a pm.  ;D

Offline IceMan*Holm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:31 AM »
was able to drive all over the lake today...all over, best bit i'm finding seems to be the 10am to 2pm bite...but then again that's when i fish the most...finally starting to get into some nice 12"+ crappies...gills are running a solid 8-9" this year, and there's more perch out there than i've ever seen in the lake...at least the 'eyes will be well fed.....anyway anyone wants specifics, shoot me a pm.  ;D

Nice to see your picking up some good ones!! What location seems best and any walleyes?

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2010, 12:32 AM »
have gotten a few "eyes fishing for panfish...they're running 15-16 inches...i don't usually target walleyes til late ice (i think i've got em' patterned from feb on)...and until then 99% of my fishing is during the day while kids are at school, as i work the swing shift.

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 16, 2010, 12:27 PM »
Brushy was tough yesterday.  Tried some holes by the East entrance and then did a lot of moving .  Marked tons of fish but the takers were few and far between.  Two of us ended up with a handful of gills and 2 crappie for a full days fishing.  14" of ice where we were but we found some ice that was only about 6-7"  in places.  All in all a fun day of fishing and the amount of fish we were marking kept us interested.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Brushy was tough yesterday.  Tried some holes by the East entrance and then did a lot of moving .  Marked tons of fish but the takers were few and far between.  Two of us ended up with a handful of gills and 2 crappie for a full days fishing.  14" of ice where we were but we found some ice that was only about 6-7"  in places.  All in all a fun day of fishing and the amount of fish we were marking kept us interested.

hey, where's the "thin" ice ya found???  the only place i've found less than a foot is near the shore by the beach, and near the spillway....this info could save a truck or two from going glub, glub, glub....  :o

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 16, 2010, 07:32 PM »
I'm not sure how to describe the location but it was North of the old roadbed that runs East & West and then in the bay by where RP9 is located on the DNR website.  I would say the ice was only about 7" there.  I didn't measure the thickness but I know it was noticeably thinner there.  We had an ATV and were scouting quite a bit and didn't run into any other spots like that.   You are right that most places were at least 12+ inches.  Personally, I think Brushy is a different sort of lake as far as ice to begin with possibly because of the amount of current running it.  Hopefully, I will make it down there sometime this week again and if I do I will get a GPS location on it and you can see for yourself. 

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:00 AM »
that'd be great....i'm out there everyday...shoot me a pm if ya want to get together sometime....by the way....i'm doing a LOT of "exploring" this year, new garmin and lakemaster chip are really cutting down on the # of unproductive holes though...

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Yesterday I caught about 50 gills most around the 7-8inch range.  some smaller and 2 that were 10 inches, one big bass, one perch, and one small walleye.  Went back today and only caught 20 fish and only 8 keepers.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #52 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:04 PM »
is the ice good for an atv?

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:02 PM »
is the ice good for an atv?
I saw full size trucks driving from the north end all the way down to the beach.  The ice around the east boat ramp is about 13 inches.

Offline pipelayer75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Anybody been to brushy today, just wondering if I'll need to wear my waders to stay dry?

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 23, 2010, 10:18 PM »
Heading there in the morning!  It shouldn't be too bad, maybe a little slush.  I'll let you guys know when I get back!

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:42 PM »
Went by tonight, didn't fish but the ice didn't look bad, there was still vehicles out on it.

Offline nater3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Is all of the snow gone from the top of the ice on Brushy?

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:24 AM »
still some snow...not a lot though...problem driving on it is the boneheads drove all over it while the slush was refreezing...RUTS!!! avoid the paths, put the truck in 4wd and all is cool.

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Fish are still biting, but you have to find the active fish.  I caught my limit of 9 inch gill the other night and a few over 10 inches.  Fish in the trees and don't be afraid to get in there and pull them out!  The guys all around me were having to hard time catching anything, so move if your not catching any!!  good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.