Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Brushy Creek  (Read 9391 times)

Offline Adam05

• IceShanty Rookie
Brushy Creek
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 03:58 PM »
Anyone heard of ice depth on Brushy Creek, north end in particular?   How about snow depth on the ice?  Anxious to get out and hit it.

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brushy Creek
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:36 PM »
I fished it the other day.  To the east of the north boat ramp I had 3 1/2" of good ice and 4" of white ice.  I saw someone walk out and set up to the south west of the boat ramp in the creek channel.  Had 4" SW of ramp about 100 yards then go thin.  Slow and soft bite, caught 12 5" crappies in 16 ft of water. 

Offline Speuboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Anyone been sound the the island yet wondering what the ice is like back there im wanting to go out there tomm afternoon

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009, 12:23 AM »
was out today...nearly 11" east of the north ramp...the "new" ice south of the ramp is pushing 6"...saw people out today on the south end...it might be time to start hitting the honey holes...  ;D

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:33 PM »
If it's 6" far out from the boat ramp theres a lot of crappies and gills in trouble!!  I'll be out there on Monday for sure!

Offline Adam05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:59 PM »
Went out 12/20.  8+ inches of ice.  Bite was slow and the fish we caught were small.  No keepers.  Hope it picks up soon.  Anyone else having better luck?

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:20 AM »
went out on 12.19 and misread my map so i ended up fishing in an area that wasnt where i wanted to be. Oh well.. Only been there twice but seems like a nice lake. Only had the morning to fish. Really no action to brag about though.. better luck next time..  ;D

Offline vogastyle88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2009, 01:04 PM »
went out on last friday and caught 25 bluegill 7 keepers in 20 ft of water. plenty of ice where we were

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2009, 07:13 PM »
Hit it up in mid day today.  Very slow!!!  Just a few small crappies.

Offline Bignate33

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Any new ice reports for Brushy?  Is the ice good enough to drive a truck on yet, or is it still 4 wheeler only?
You can't go fishing and drink beer all day if you don't start first thing in the morning!

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2009, 11:23 PM »
I was there a last weekend and there was 6-8". I would definately not take a truck on it..  But i guess it's up to you.. i wouldnt recomend it..

Offline leeman197628

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Yes Jessica Ill Check Your Depth For Ya!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2009, 08:11 PM »
where are all the walleyes on brushy and smallmouth i used to catch them all the time.. but have not caught either of them in 3 years probably.  what did everyone do eat them all? lol :)

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2009, 12:16 AM »
swam over the dam, no fish fence

Offline Bull_Gill_Mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:57 PM »
Anybody fish the past few days? was thinking about heading that way in the morning.  ATV's on the lake? Thanks

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I had a buddy out there today. He said that the ice was good and pulling was easy not much snow at all on the ice. I'm not sure about ATV's I was out last friday and there was a wheeler and a wheeled permy down to dang near the horse campground.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2009, 09:23 PM »
Anybody fish the past few days? was thinking about heading that way in the morning.  ATV's on the lake? Thanks

about  a week and a half or maybe 2 weeks ago now i know a guy that had his sled out there but i dont know where all he went.. I know he went around the south end but not sure where.  I'd guess just be safe but i'd think it would be fine??? ;D

Offline matt_hill_61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2009, 07:03 PM »
Pretty good day I got my ice house set up around noon and left just before 5 and managed to get about 20 keeper bluegill.  Quite a big of sorting at first then it picked up just before dark.  Lots of dinks during the afternoon.  Got a few small perch and crappie as well.  I was in the bay.  Anyone else having any luck in the bay?

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lizard Lake Fishing Team
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Matt_Hill_61,    How was the travel conditions on Brushy.    Any slush or deep snow?

Offline matt_hill_61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:39 PM »
Well when I left there was maybe 2" of snow on the ice...no slush at all.  There was around 8" of good clear ice and about 6" of white ice from all the snow and rain we've had lately.  I have a pretty heavy ice house and I had no problems pulling it on the snow.  There are a few drifts with maybe a foot of snow but those are few and far between.

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:41 PM »
i agree that the fish are going over the dam  same problem that big crap had before they put the fence up  and that everybody takes home what they catch,  does not help
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:54 PM »
Fished Brushy today from 1 until 5.   Only managed to catch small crappies.   Used my 4-wheeler and had no problems getting around.

Offline crappie-attitude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:06 PM »
I didn't find a definite pattern.   Caught fish on orange/green mimick minnow tipped with minnow head,   sunfish colored gill pill and a blue Marmuska.   The only thing I say for sure is that nothing was looking for a live minnow.

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:01 PM »
What color jig to use

I've always had good luck with pink for the bluegills and crappies.  I've been catching them on pink and orange lately.  Nothing wants minnows right now if that helps you out. 

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:27 PM »
Thinking about meeting a friend at Brushy on Thursday, is it worth the drive?  Its somewhat in the middle for both of us.
Beginner -- any advice is appreciated!

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:13 PM »
I think my dad and I are going to go there on friday. We've only been there 1 other time and i didnt know if anyone would give any advice as to where to start, or any advice in general??? Thanks for any help you can give.. ;D

Offline iowaboy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:33 PM »
The best advice I can give is to move away from the crowds. That north end has been hit HARD try fishing further down the lake or in the trees where their isn't a bunch of people around.

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:42 PM »
Going out tomorrow!  Best advice I can give everyone if your not catching fish, move!  I only fish a hole for only 10 minutes, if I don't catch anything I drill a new hole.  And don't be affraid to try somewhere new, my honey holes right now are dead, the fish do move around!  I have my best luck on a pink tear drop jigs for the bluegills

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #27 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:32 PM »
good advice guys. break some new ice... there are so many good spots on this lake that never get touched!

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Good to hear, I'll be out there on Thursday!  Maybe we'll see some of you guys out there.

Offline isuhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Will a guy need a sled on brushy creek to haul gear or could you safely drive a truck out there?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.