The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: HL vecro mod  (Read 1862 times)

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
HL vecro mod
« on: Nov 17, 2007, 11:53 AM »
 I put this on a while back and now we are dusting the traps off. Thought I'd repost for those new members and the antigues that missed it.

Always got ticked when getting my traps out and (1) flags popped out in your face,etc and also when bragging them out of my basket line was all tangled up....so did a little mod on mine.................. ... :tipup:

A velcro strip just stapled above the release keeps the flag from popping out.... :tipup:

To keep the line in place put strip around the spool...its a lot easier in the below zero days and a quick easy way while setting traps.I put my back on after I'm off the ice and before next trip......... :tipup:

Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: HL vecro mod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2007, 01:11 PM »
Why didnt i think of that ???nice.

Offline crzy granny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2007, 05:17 PM »

A velcro strip just stapled above the release keeps the flag from popping out....

So that is why you have never experienced a FLAG.  :'(     
 The netman uses duct tape  :laugh:             Chopper ;)

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2007, 05:24 PM »
    Chopper ;)

:roflmao: I though it was a good idea until this flaw was pointed out...... :pinch:

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2007, 05:40 PM »

The netman uses duct tape  :laugh:             Chopper ;)

Ask netman when was the last time he has seen me ran for a flag............. :laugh:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2007, 05:46 PM »
good idea. i'm gonna try that on my reel's, no prob with the flags , i would forget to take them off anyway :laugh:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:21 AM »
good idea. i'm gonna try that on my reel's, no prob with the flags , i would forget to take them off anyway :laugh:

well i copied daves idea a couple yrs ago and love it...one of the best mods ive done to my lakers.  i have had some slow days on the ice where i walked around checking to make sure my flags werent still in the travel position  :laugh:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:26 AM »
I'm too cheap for velcro (at least so far).  I use pieces of cut up bicycle inner tube (or one could use large rubber bands) for both the reels and flags. 

MD

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:32 AM »
Team Maine - When are all you HT guys going to learn and just take the plunge into the world of JT????  ;D  Walk to the light, it's O.K. boyz.......   :laugh:    

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:37 AM »
Great mod indeed! If you add a grommet to the end of the velco and sew a piece of male and female velcro together, you will never have to put your hookpoint in your line again.  Just put the hook in the grommet and wind her up. The velcro will stick to itself and stay tight!

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:45 AM »
Team Maine - When are all you HT guys going to learn and just take the plunge into the world of JT????  ;D  Walk to the light, it's O.K. boyz.......   :laugh:    
Been there................y ou know what its like trying to hook the ring to the release without your glasses on..its like threading a needle. JT are great traps but love my HL better............... :tipup: Still have a set of the old mooseheads (JT) I use occasionally.
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2007, 06:51 AM »
Been there................y ou know what its like trying to hook the ring to the release without your glasses on..its like threading a needle. JT are great traps but love my HL better............... :tipup: Still have a set of the lod mooseheads (JT) I use occasionally.

The difficulty of the O-ring is the one thing you hear from non-JT believers, I never have had a problem but a good friend of mine with short, stubby fingers and poor vision struggles mightily, hence, an HL user ;D  For actual performance though, the JT is silky smoooooooth.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:38 AM »
Okay Builditrite,
Looking at your picture, I have a couple of questions.

1) What's that on the outside face of your aluminum spool on the HT?  Mine don't have that.

2) How exactly do you have the spool rigged?  I can't quite count the number of wraps of the leader around the spool between the swivel and the hook?  And where exactly is the lead weight attached?  And what size of hook is that?  What kind of leader material? ;)

Okay, a few more than two questions..

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:42 AM »
well its jrelaxins pic  :laugh:  but it looks like the cork rings that attach to the spool . the rest i wll let jrelaxin answer as i dont want to give away any of his secrets   :o

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Been there................y ou know what its like trying to hook the ring to the release without your glasses on..its like threading a needle. JT are great traps but love my HL better............... :tipup: Still have a set of the old mooseheads (JT) I use occasionally.
once you get used to it it's easy i can do it with gloves on . i have both traps but the ht's have not come out of the basement since i got the jt's 8)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2007, 02:03 PM »
well its jrelaxins pic  :laugh:  but it looks like the cork rings that attach to the spool . the rest i wll let jrelaxin answer as i dont want to give away any of his secrets   :o

Sorry Buildit, for some reason I thought you had posted the pictures...Maybe jrelaxin will answer my questions?...

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2007, 02:20 PM »
Okay Builditrite,
Looking at your picture, I have a couple of questions.

1) What's that on the outside face of your aluminum spool on the HT?  Mine don't have that.

2) How exactly do you have the spool rigged?  I can't quite count the number of wraps of the leader around the spool between the swivel and the hook?  And where exactly is the lead weight attached?  And what size of hook is that?  What kind of leader material? ;)

Okay, a few more than two questions..

Yeah that is a cork ring that doesn't work..... >:( and the spool is rigged just like a normal spool that velcro is one wrap around the spool to keep hook from catching on something..#6 hook eagle lazers and a 4ft leader(trilene)....wt is about a foot or less from swivel.And that blue band on top of traps is my donut markerso when I stack up my donuts if hands are tied up... :laugh:
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.