Author Topic: Inventions  (Read 451095 times)

Trooper Bri

Re: Inventions
« Reply #90 on: Sep 14, 2008, 09:58 AM »
"I should start pm ing trooper. I'm sure he would know how to put lojack on my shanty."

That's actually one thing we don't install. But what else you want ?
Keyless entry w/ alarm ? Audio, vis, nav? How about rear obstacle sensors mounted all around the shack so nobody can sneak up on ya ? ;)

The current project uberfish is a cheap one man shanty that attaches to a Jet Sled. Lovingly named Frahillbilly 2. ;D Goes perfect with my hillbilly tipup lights.  :tipup:

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Sep 14, 2008, 10:12 PM »
frahillbilly 2 sounds real convenient. just the right size.  how far along are you?

mudnfun-  ive had a shacks worth of gear stolen before,  the only thing i would be thinking of would be, where did he get that.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #92 on: Sep 16, 2008, 05:02 PM »
I'm pretty much done with it uber. I've got a few little detail things to do, but if it magically froze tonight, i could use it tomorrow. I'm no stranger to posting the occasional project online, so i'll have the project posted in the shanty forum in the next few weeks.

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Sep 26, 2008, 04:25 PM »

the ice anchor                       this isnt an original invention but i didnt know where to put it

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #94 on: Sep 26, 2008, 05:06 PM »
Uberfish,Don't you need a hook at one end to put a rope on to get anchor back thru the hole?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Sep 26, 2008, 05:35 PM »
there's a 1/4in. straight rod welded on the inside of one of the ends. 

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Sep 26, 2008, 07:29 PM »
there's a 1/4in. straight rod welded on the inside of one of the ends. 

That would work too. Nice job on the welds.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline uberfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Sep 27, 2008, 07:56 AM »
thanks.  if you ever need anything welded, thats able to be shipped.  let me know and ill do it for free.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #98 on: Oct 04, 2008, 12:51 PM »
My bait trap, holds big bait and lots of it.

Made out of 5gal. water jug and mesh laundry bag.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #99 on: Oct 04, 2008, 03:07 PM »
Nice trap pikeking! And scoop!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Oct 04, 2008, 04:46 PM »
Nice trap pikeking!    I might have to copy that !!  I have a cpl of those water containers laying around..

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Oct 09, 2008, 11:30 PM »
I'm new to traping as well as the site, but look to make me one of these to save some money....any helpful hints out there for a beginner trapper?

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Oct 31, 2008, 06:45 AM »
 detachable runners for deep snow (pics)
______________________ __________________

when snow gets deep or slushy it is difficult to pull fish trap guide by hand so i made runners which can be used when needed.these are not permanently attached. No drilling holes in tub. I bent 3/4 inch Emt elect conduit using blue tool shown on floor.2 ten foot lengths and 2 couplings, weight 8lbs. tubing kinda snaps in below plastic lip which cloth is attached to and above rope holes.A nice tight fit but will also bungi strap it for safe transport across deep snow and slush.

measurements for bending: Take a 10 foot lendth of 3/4 inch emt conduit at mark it at the half way point (5 feet). Then from that centerpoint, mark it 2feet 4inches in both directions, we will call these two points blue.Then go back to the centerpoint and measure 3 foot 10inches in both directions mark these two points Red.
1)Set the "Star" on the conduit bender on one of the blue points and bend to 90 degrees. (L shape )
2) now set Star on other blue point and bend 90 degrees tward first bend now it is a (U shape).The part between 2 blue points will be part touching ice when done.
3)Now lay it flat on floor and set star on one of the red points, bend it up off the floor so that end is 90 degrees off floor. straight up
4) now set star on tool on other red point and bend end up to 90 degrees now it looks like a u with 90 degreebends that face straight up.
5)you are now half done bending,take another 10 foot length mark and bend the same
6)Take both conduits and connect with screw together type couplings. see photo top of page, you are done.
size = 4' 8" long, 1'10" high, 3'10"wide..... cost $16 bucks.....sturdy= I sat in trap while on runners and I weigh 230 lbs

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #103 on: Nov 02, 2008, 08:05 AM »

when snow gets deep or slushy it is difficult to pull fish trap guide by hand so i made runners which can be used when needed.these are not permanently attached. No drilling holes in tub. I bent 3/4 inch Emt elect conduit using blue tool shown on floor.2 ten foot lengths and 2 couplings, weight 8lbs. tubing kinda snaps in below plastic lip which cloth is attached to and above rope holes.A nice tight fit but will also bungi strap it for safe transport across deep snow and slush.

measurements for bending: Take a 10 foot lendth of 3/4 inch emt conduit at mark it at the half way point (5 feet). Then from that centerpoint, mark it 2feet 4inches in both directions, we will call these two points blue.Then go back to the centerpoint and measure 3 foot 10inches in both directions mark these two points Red.
1)Set the "Star" on the conduit bender on one of the blue points and bend to 90 degrees. (L shape )
2) now set Star on other blue point and bend 90 degrees tward first bend now it is a (U shape).The part between 2 blue points will be part touching ice when done.
3)Now lay it flat on floor and set star on one of the red points, bend it up off the floor so that end is 90 degrees off floor. straight up
4) now set star on tool on other red point and bend end up to 90 degrees now it looks like a u with 90 degreebends that face straight up.
5)you are now half done bending,take another 10 foot length mark and bend the same
6)Take both conduits and connect with screw together type couplings. see photo top of page, you are done.
size = 4' 8" long, 1'10" high, 3'10"wide..... cost $16 bucks.....sturdy= I sat in trap while on runners and I weigh 230 lbs
(Image removed from quote.)

Can't see the pic? Like to see it, it sounds similar to what I have made but mine is a permanent sled type.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline newfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Nov 03, 2008, 06:52 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)
here is pics ...I hope.                                        http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/100_2271.JPGhttp://www.michigan-sportsman.com/photopost/data/500/medium/100_2270.JPGWh

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #106 on: Nov 03, 2008, 04:03 PM »
Looks Good.

Offline teacup13

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • i need to go fishin'
« Reply #107 on: Nov 04, 2008, 07:01 AM »

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
« Reply #108 on: Nov 06, 2008, 06:11 AM »
youve got some great ideas guys

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #109 on: Nov 06, 2008, 06:29 AM »
Beautiful sled! Keep me posted on how it holds up, if it does I'M BUILDING ONE!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #110 on: Nov 11, 2008, 12:34 PM »

I used pvc to make a tow hitch for my atv this way it will not keep sliding into the rear end of my atv.Also my dad made a hitch out of stainless for the atv.

Offline jdisci

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The snack that smiles back, goldfish"
« Reply #111 on: Nov 11, 2008, 01:34 PM »
Nice idea to keep the shanty from bumping into the atv. But maybe conduit would have been a better choice. The pvc might crack in the cold , JMO.

"Like minnows in a bucket..."
Joe

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #112 on: Nov 11, 2008, 01:41 PM »
PVC will work just fine. My old neighbor used that set up long enough he wore out the rope and had to replace it. Never had any problems with the PVC

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #113 on: Nov 16, 2008, 05:57 PM »
One thing I may have to do is make it so I can detach it from the sled. I have tripped over it a couple of times now in my garage. I am thinking maybe a couple of clips maybe.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #114 on: Nov 16, 2008, 07:43 PM »
One thing I may have to do is make it so I can detach it from the sled. I have tripped over it a couple of times now in my garage. I am thinking maybe a couple of clips maybe.

Eye bolts on the sled and a couple snap clips.

Offline pike4some

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GIT R DONE
« Reply #115 on: Nov 16, 2008, 08:04 PM »
Good Thought. Thanks Stumper

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #116 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:10 PM »
Make sure you use lock nuts on the eyebolts.  ;)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Nov 16, 2008, 09:46 PM »
Very good instructions.  I think I could make one.

Offline oxquo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Nov 28, 2008, 11:48 AM »
   I make around 5 of these with an 8' 1/2" dowel and a 2x4x8' split in half.
You'll also need a trigger which I've used spinnerbait wire so its easy to bend on the ice if I need softer or harder bite detection. Remember to set Your drag loose but not too loose. I like this rig due to Our barbless law in Manitoba as its harder to spit the hook with steady pressure on. A longer rod also helps with this. As for rods, they have to be bendy from ultra light to medium. The rod holder itself can also be altered and changed. I have used pvc with a band clamp to a 1/4" steel rod or the metal spiral rod holders will work fine. The amount of bend in Your rod determines the hardness of the strike but not how light of bite, that is determined by how the trigger is set. My aquarium fish 2" cichlids set it off so it does go sensitive. I have also made it without the support brace across the front but find it a bit less stable.

Anyways for those who don't want to spend a lot but deal with finicky fish like brookies and perch You may like this.

Approximate time for 1 rig 2 hours plus dry time. 5 rigs 3-4 hours plus dry time.

Main board (I use a 27" rod You can expand for bigger rods) 24"l x 3"w x 5/8" (1 1/2" divided by 2 - sawcut)
Front uprights 6" x 3" x 5/8" cut atleast 3/4" slot 2-3" from the top allowing you a few setting holes.
I used a bolt 1/4" on this one but have switched to wire on new ones.
2" pvc pipe or metal rod holder, (2 - 5" uprights at the back are now holes for the rod holder, more compact
1 - 2" x 3" back under brace
1 - 12" front under brace. A wingnut will help to fold it up.
4 - 1" wood screws
2 - 2" wood screws
1/2" dowel I used 12" but test your rod for proper length.
metal pin for trigger. finishing nails will work, I ran heavier wire from a spinnerbait through a hole and bent it then tied it on with waxed dental floss.
 You can add a front V on the trigger bar or just notch out 3/8" - 1/2" for your line to sit in. Wax this part and your trigger pin each time you go out to advoid freeze up.

I've also added a hinge to the front upright so it all folds up better. I'm sure it can be bettered but it's cheap and it works.

Offline Jaybobbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Nov 29, 2008, 09:01 PM »
This isn't really an invention, but its a really good way to get more out of a regular fishing rod that gets broken during the summer.

I took a piece of 1 inch dowel that was about a foot long and drilled a hole in one end that was just a bit bigger than the piece of rod. Then I used some two part epoxy to glue the rod into the dowel. Next i drove two finish nails into the dowel to make a tripod to hold the rod out of the snow. Finally, I screwed an ice fishing reel to the top of the dowel and added a spring bobber. I haven't gotten to try it yet but I am hoping it works well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.