Author Topic: 3 More Day's and it's March Madness for Me (any comments on tip-suckers)  (Read 1287 times)

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
Working 6 and 7 day's a week is for the birds.  This years snowstorms created havoc and last time out was that slushbowl.
So starting this Friday @ 11:45 pm I'm in semi-retirement for 9 days. Wife says go for it.  Nixstyx and Budman are you
with me or not. I need Help bigtime.  This has been a tough year !  Seriously are TIP-UP suckers better then Smelt?
misterharry and aqua assasian I sent you some mail about my offer . please let me know if you received it . yeah or neah
I'm in vacation mode already ..... Bring it on I mean some warm weather ! Thanks For the Posts and personal e-mails!
I've learned quite a bit ....This will at least saves some time and get to the right spots.........

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
For what species ???
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip-up Suckers vs Smelt
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:03 PM »
 :tipup:Let me re-phrase the question. Since there seems to be a shortage of smelt are tip-up suckers just as effective.
Just a yes or no would suffice . I don't need details but if you know something that might help I would appreciate
the info. I mean these critters cost 75 cents a pop are they worth it.  Species :lakers and maybe cusk .
Okay ! lets try this I WORK at Anhueser Busch FREE BEER for any Good Advice that works while I'm fishing.
And that's no bull. I make it and I  can get it! Wow is the beer that bad ?  I'm heading to work hopefully I'll have something to
read in 8 hours from now.  Thanks Again ....

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Tip-up Suckers vs Smelt
« Reply #3 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:20 PM »
Lakers and Cusk is what I'm after .

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2014, 01:28 PM »
Tip up suckers will work great for cusk and lakers, if you are fishing bottom, up top I would rather have a shiner if you cannot get smelt? Do you work for NHD?
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:09 PM »
I love using suckers for bait. But to be honest, I have hooked up with more lakers on smelt. As for cusk, I like to use either sucker or heavy shiners. Sometimes, I'll even use suckers that are on the smaller side of Intended for cutting. That can be a pricey bait, when the 'large' suckers are going for 3 or 4$ a whack. Also, you may miss out on fish as it takes a beast to swallow one BUT, they are also very hearty, and hooked through eyes can live on your hook for a couple days, and I think cusk are attracted to live bait action. I'm sure you'll land more fish on true 'tip-ups'. I like to fish tip ups for lakers somewhat suspended in the water column so they're white underbelly is very visible to fish beneath them. They are pretty well camouflaged on top and built, obviously for running on the bottom, where I think they are adept at hiding, so, I like to put them in harms way - minimum of three feet off it.

Offline misterharry

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2014, 02:18 PM »
Also, sometimes if using a 'large' suck on a cusk line, I'll gash it up a bit to get it bleeding. I used to fish with a guy in ME who used tip-ups pretty exclusively for lakers, and he caught many. He liked to kind of 'brain' or stun his tip-ups by giving them a little whack to the head. Not entirely sure what his logic was with that, but it worked for him.

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yup! Was actually thinking I might go out Friday night for cusk and go back out Saturday morning, or sleep on the ice if I'm feeling ambitious. Don't have any specific plans yet, but PM me.  ;)

Offline Fishfinder81

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good luck to anyone who wets a line
That's what we did at the gathering last sat. Picked up our lines in the am got one keeper 17-18in. We r going to goback to newfound on the 22nd to try and get some more they taste sooooo goooooood. We r going to go up sat afternoon fish for trout while setting our lines, stay till dark checking our cusk lines every couple hours may stay out there overnight depending on weather
Tight lines to all!

Offline filetofish

• IceShanty Rookie
Wow, pulling out all the stops offering up beer! If you get any good advice and are up for some company I would join you on the lake this weekend! Its been awhile since I've fished with you and could use sometime away from the house. Just make sure if we go out that you bring out some BBQ so that we at least eat good! As for the beer I would rather some micro brew perhaps a growler from somewhere local!   

Offline 1crd1aad

• IceShanty Rookie
BBQ and Beer

If the weather gets warmer I can do a beef brisket or pulled pork .
Then whoevers around the lake we are on we can sound the alarm .
Good by me filetoffish. Always nice to meet crazies like us freezing are back-ends off!

But when you see that flag pop , It's like a picture frozen  (no pun there) in time!
I'm ready for a nap ! Right by the woodstove ! Damn I'm getting old.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.